1 JOHN 2:2 THE SINS OF THE WHOLE WORLD

DougE

The word world in those verses apply to the Sheep or the Church of God, not all mankind without exception !

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

In the verse above John is writing to the believing remnant of Israel which are the sheep.
If the sheep were the world as you say this verse would be redundant...it would read he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only the sheep of Israel but also for the sins of the sheep of Israel.

beloved57

1 John 2:2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

In the verse above John is writing to the believing remnant of Israel which are the sheep.
If the sheep were the world as you say this verse would be redundant...it would read he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for our's only the sheep of Israel but also for the sins of the sheep of Israel.
Also the Sheep of the Gentiles.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

beloved57

Scriptures that indicate that Gentiles are Sheep, and not just ethnic jews. In fact all ethnic jews werent Christs Sheep Jn 10:26

26 [FONT=&quot]But ye[jews] believe not, because ye are not of my sheep, as I said unto you.

In the same context in Vs 16 Jesus speaks of sheep He had not of the jewish fold

[/FONT]
16 [FONT=&quot]And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Notice Jesus says these other Sheep shall hear His voice.

The same was said of the call of the gentiles Acts 28:28

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Be it known therefore unto you, that the salvation of God is sent unto the Gentiles, and that they [/FONT]will hear it.

Nanja

Scriptures that indicate that Gentiles are Sheep, and not just ethnic jews. In fact all ethnic jews werent Christs Sheep Jn 10:26

26 [FONT="]But ye[jews] believe not,[B] because ye are not of my sheep[/B], as I said unto you.

In the same context in Vs 16 Jesus speaks of sheep He had not of the jewish fold

[/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Arial][B]16 [/B][/FONT][/COLOR][COLOR=#000000][FONT="]And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Notice Jesus says these other Sheep shall hear His voice.

The same was said of the call of the gentiles Acts 28:28

[/FONT]
[FONT="]Be it known therefore unto you,[B] that the salvation of God is sent unto[/B][U][B] the Gentiles, and that they [/B][/U][/FONT][/COLOR][U][B][B]will [B]hear it.[/B][/B][/B][/U][B][B][/B][/B][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="#006400"]Well stated my Brother !

beloved57

The Sheep is but another name for Gods elect, and we know that under the New Covenant scriptures Gentilles are called The Elect of God. In Colossians where Paul was addressing some gentile believers Col 1:27

[FONT=&quot]To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the [/FONT]Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:

He calls the Colossian Believers the Elect of God Col 3:12

[FONT=&quot]Put on therefore, as the [/FONT]elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering

Right Divider

Body part
The Sheep is but another name for Gods elect, and we know that under the New Covenant scriptures Gentilles are called The Elect of God. In Colossians where Paul was addressing some gentile believers Col 1:27
That is your theory being projected into the Bible text. It is NOT what the Bible says.

Paul never once called a believer a sheep... NEVER ONCE.

Nanja

RD

Its Truth of scripture !

Lol, Neither did he ever say a Believer isnt a Sheep ![/COLOR]

Exactly !

As a matter of fact, by Christ's definition, Paul himself as a follower of Christ, was one of His Sheep:

1 Cor. 4:17 [NLT] That’s why I have sent Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of how I follow Christ Jesus, just as I teach in all the churches wherever I go.

John 10:27-29

27 My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me:

28 And I give unto them eternal life; and they shall never perish, neither shall any man pluck them out of my hand.

29 My Father, which gave them me [Eph. 1:4], is greater than all; and no man is able to pluck them out of my Father's hand.

Right Divider

Body part
Exactly !

As a matter of fact, by Christ's definition, Paul himself as a follower of Christ, was one of His Sheep:

1 Cor. 4:17 [NLT] That’s why I have sent Timothy, my beloved and faithful child in the Lord. He will remind you of how I follow Christ Jesus, just as I teach in all the churches wherever I go.
More FALLACIOUS "logic"... here is yours:
  • Sheep follow
  • Paul follows
  • Paul is a sheep
There are LOTS of other things that follow besides sheep.

Nanja

More FALLACIOUS "logic"... here is yours:
  • Sheep follow
  • Paul follows
  • Paul is a sheep
There are LOTS of other things that follow besides sheep.

The Biblical hermeneutic is to compare scripture with scripture.

Paul explains how God's Elect or Sheep come to Truth by the Spirit of God given them in New Birth:

1 Cor. 2:12-13

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.

14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.