THE GOSPEL FOR TODAY

DougE

This is the gospel by which we are saved.

15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15

We are all sinners who can not save ourselves.

See Romans 3:23 Titus 3:5 Romans 5:6

Christ died for our sins; He was our substitute, He paid the full penalty and debt for our sin by his blood sacrifice.

See 2 Corinthians 5:21 Romans 3:24 Romans 3:25 Romans 3:26

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification ( to declare us righteous) and forgiveness of all our sin. He gives us His righteousness and eternal life.

See Romans 4:25 Ephesians 1:7 Romans 4:22 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 1 Corinthians 1:30

All we have to do is believe the gospel.

See Romans 4:5 1 Corinthians 1:21 Ephesians 1:13

Believing is being persuaded that something is true.

See Romans 4:21

The moment you believe you have eternal life.

Titus 1:1 Titus 1:2 Titus 3:7

Trust the gospel of your salvation. Place your faith in Jesus Christ, in his blood, in his death and his resurrection.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

15:1 Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;

15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

15:4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

1 Corinthians 15

We are all sinners who can not save ourselves.

See Romans 3:23 Titus 3:5 Romans 5:6

Christ died for our sins; He was our substitute, He paid the full penalty and debt for our sin by his blood sacrifice.

He was buried.

He rose again for our justification ( to declare us righteous) and forgiveness of all our sin. He gives us His righteousness and eternal life.

See Romans 4:25 Ephesians 1:7 Romans 4:22 Romans 4:23 Romans 4:24 1 Corinthians 1:30

All we have to do is believe the gospel.

See Romans 4:5 1 Corinthians 1:21 Ephesians 1:13

Believing is being persuaded that something is true.

See Romans 4:21

The moment you believe you have eternal life.

Titus 1:1 Titus 1:2 Titus 3:7

Trust the gospel of your salvation. Place your faith in Jesus Christ, in his blood, in his death and his resurrection.

So what about after I believe? Now that I'm saved, I've got all this junk in my life that I don't like. Seems like I sin all day every day! How do I stop? Is it even possible for me to stop entirely? What happens if I don't?

DougE

Quite so but I wasn't asking because I don't know that answer(s). (Colossians 2:6)

I was hoping you'd throw together another unmistakably simple post similar to the opener.

Hello
I was coming back here and explaining some of the content......I will soon.

Bradley D

So what about after I believe? Now that I'm saved, I've got all this junk in my life that I don't like. Seems like I sin all day every day! How do I stop? Is it even possible for me to stop entirely? What happens if I don't?

I find life to be a battle with the flesh. But, the Holy Spirit condemns the mind and I pray and reach out to the Spirit. What comes to mind does not have to become a physical action.

"So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:21-25)

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin (Romans 7:21-25).

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you a free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God" (Romans 8:1-8).

DougE

Hello

Being saved by grace does not mean we should feel free to sin (Romans 6:1).

We are dead to sin (Romans 6:2). We need to know we were buried with him into death by the baptism of the Spirit, not water (Romans 6:4). Being raised up with him we should walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4). We should not serve sin (Romans 6:6) because we have been freed from sin (Romans 6:7). We are to reckon this as so (Romans 6:11). We can chose not to yeild to sin because we are not under the law but grace (Romans 6:14).

The law can not help us live unto God (Romans 7:6).

We should walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:1) because in the flesh (our natural sin nature) we can not please God (Romans 8:8). We need to know we are the children of God by faith (Romans 8:16) and joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17) and by knowing who we are to live accordingly.

When, not if, we sin we need to know we are justified (Romans 8:33) and forgiven by our redemption in Christ (Colossians 1:14) and nothing can separate us from his love (Romans 8:39).

We walk after the spirit by believing his word. We find how to live in the epistles of Paul and chose to live according to his word.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I find life to be a battle with the flesh. But, the Holy Spirit condemns the mind and I pray and reach out to the Spirit. What comes to mind does not have to become a physical action.

"So I find this law at work: Although I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God’s law; but I see another law at work in me, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within me. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord! (Romans 7:21-25)

So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God’s law, but in my sinful nature a slave to the law of sin (Romans 7:21-25).

"Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life has set you a free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do because it was weakened by the flesh, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

Those who live according to the flesh have their minds set on what the flesh desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. The mind governed by the flesh is death, but the mind governed by the Spirit is life and peace. The mind governed by the flesh is hostile to God; it does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so. Those who are in the realm of the flesh cannot please God" (Romans 8:1-8).

The Holy Spirit condemns the mind?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hello

Being saved by grace does not mean we should feel free to sin (Romans 6:1).

We are dead to sin (Romans 6:2). We need to know we were buried with him into death by the baptism of the Spirit, not water (Romans 6:4). Being raised up with him we should walk in newness of life (Romans 6:4). We should not serve sin (Romans 6:6) because we have been freed from sin (Romans 6:7). We are to reckon this as so (Romans 6:11). We can chose not to yeild to sin because we are not under the law but grace (Romans 6:14).

The law can not help us live unto God (Romans 7:6).

We should walk in the Spirit (Romans 8:1) because in the flesh (our natural sin nature) we can not please God (Romans 8:8). We need to know we are the children of God by faith (Romans 8:16) and joint heirs with Christ (Romans 8:17) and by knowing who we are to live accordingly.

When, not if, we sin we need to know we are justified (Romans 8:33) and forgiven by our redemption in Christ (Colossians 1:14) and nothing can separate us from his love (Romans 8:39).

We walk after the spirit by believing his word. We find how to live in the epistles of Paul and chose to live according to his word.
Amen!

It's rather refreshing to read a thread where the participants get it right! It seems TOL is up to it's gills in legalists lately. It's astounding the degree to which people will go to erase every perceptible difference between grace and law. It is understandable though. The flesh is strongly attracted to the law and I think it's an honest question when the legalists asks "How are we to know right from wrong without a list of rules?" I can't really blame them for having never been taught that they are faced with the age old choice that Adam himself was faced with and that he chose poorly as do we when we rely on the law (i.e. the knowledge of good and evil) to teach us right from wrong rather than learning it from the God of Love Himself.

“The Proper Attitude of Man Under Grace:

“To believe, and to consent to be loved while unworthy, is the great secret.
“To refuse to make ‘resolutions’ and ‘vows’; for that is to trust in the flesh.
“To expect to be blessed, though realizing more and more lack of worth…
“To rely on God’s chastening [child training] hand as a mark of His kindness…

“Things Which Gracious Souls Discover:

“To ‘hope to be better’ [hence acceptable] is to fail to see yourself in Christ only.
“To be disappointed with yourself, is to have believed in yourself.
“To be discouraged is unbelief,—as to God’s purpose and plan of blessing for you.
“To be proud, is to be blind! For we have no standing before God, in ourselves.
“The lack of Divine blessing, therefore, comes from unbelief, and not from failure of devotion…
“To preach devotion first, and blessing second, is to reverse God’s order, and preach law, not grace. The Law made man’s blessing depend on devotion; Grace confers undeserved, unconditional blessing: our devotion may follow, but does not always do so,—in proper measure.” - Romans, Verse by Verse, Wm. R. Newell

Have we been afraid to really believe God? Have some even been afraid to allow others to really believe Him? We must never forget that “God’s ways are not always man’s ways. To some men constant peril is the only spur to action, and many religions and psychologies are dependent on fear to keep their disciples in line. Fear, too, has a place in Christianity, but God has higher and more effective motivations than fear, and one of these is love. Often fear after a while produces only numbness, but love thrives on love. To promise a man the certainty of his destiny may seem, on the human level, like playing with fire; but this leaves God out of the picture. Those who have the deepest appreciation of grace do not continue in sin. Moreover, fear produces the obedience of slaves; love engenders the obedience of sons” - J. W. Sanderson, Jr.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Bradley D

The Holy Spirit condemns the mind?

The Promise of the Holy Spirit

"…But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment..." (John 16:7-8)

Condemn synonyms: censure, criticize, castigate, attack, denounce, deplore, decry, revile, inveigh against, blame, chastise, berate, upbraid, reprimand, rebuke, reprove, reprehend, take to task, ...

heir

TOL Subscriber

Yep! That's the gospel of our salvation, alright! PTL!

heir

TOL Subscriber

He was buried.

The very fact that Christ was raised from the dead for our justification proves the sin/sins debt forgiven! So, the issue today is not sin and sins, but whether or not the righteousness of God is upon us individually. According to Paul, it is unto all, but only upon all them that believe (Romans 3:21-22 KJV). I'm so glad I am saved and sealed having trusted the Lord believing 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 KJV as the means of my salvation (Ephesians 1:13-14 KJV)!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The Promise of the Holy Spirit

"…But I tell you the truth, it is for your benefit that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Advocate will not come to you; but if I go, I will send Him to you. And when He comes, He will convict the world in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment..." (John 16:7-8)

Condemn synonyms: censure, criticize, castigate, attack, denounce, deplore, decry, revile, inveigh against, blame, chastise, berate, upbraid, reprimand, rebuke, reprove, reprehend, take to task, ...

Rephrasing John 16:5-15 by stating that "The Holy Spirit condemns the mind." is something of a stretch, I'd say. He certainly does not "condemn the mind" of believers (John 16:9). And to the extent that He condemns anyone's heart, He does so through the law, which does not apply to the Body of Christ in any case (Romans 8:1).

If it was merely your intent to convey the idea that the Holy Spirit is involved in convicting a man's conscience and causing him to realizes his need for a savior, then I entirely agree with that, but "The Holy Spirit condemns the mind." is, at the very least, a pretty extreme, even startling way of stating it.

Clete

Bradley D

Rephrasing John 16:5-15 by stating that "The Holy Spirit condemns the mind." is something of a stretch, I'd say. He certainly does not "condemn the mind" of believers (John 16:9). And to the extent that He condemns anyone's heart, He does so through the law, which does not apply to the Body of Christ in any case (Romans 8:1).

If it was merely your intent to convey the idea that the Holy Spirit is involved in convicting a man's conscience and causing him to realizes his need for a savior, then I entirely agree with that, but "The Holy Spirit condemns the mind." is, at the very least, a pretty extreme, even startling way of stating it.

Clete

I was thinking about that today. I agree with you that "condemn" is to strong a word. I prefer "convict."