Fun with the "I don't believe in God" shtick

quip

BANNED
Banned
One of your problems, here, is that the phrase, "assert without conviction", is an oxymoron, and thus, meaningless, just like the phrase, "a square that is a circle", is meaningless.

One cannot assert what one is not convicted of.

Sure you can .....it's called B.S.
By the way, offer Lon your rhetoric...it was a counter-point to his convicted assertion.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Sure you can .....it's called B.S.

There, you are merely BS-ing; nobody could be stupid enough to be capable of asserting that BS-ing is, in any way, shape, or form, asserting.

So, no. One cannot assert what one is not convicted of.

Lon

Then the believer in God CANNOT POSSIBLY assert, with any possible conviction, an existing God. :idunno:
But is that a bad thing? If so..why?
Not sure where your head is going with this. All it takes is one (1) encounter.

Example: "I don't know if there is life on other planets. It'd be presumptuous to say "no." The flip? That there is life? Depends if that person actually encountered that life or not. <-- These two are not the same. :e4e:

quip

BANNED
Banned
Not sure where your head is going with this. All it takes is one (1) encounter.

Example: "I don't know if there is life on other planets. It'd be presumptuous to say "no." The flip? That there is life? Depends if that person actually encountered that life or not. <-- These two are not the same. :e4e:

Explain by what you mean as "encounter".
Did you encounter God face-to-face or rather was it vague, fill-in-the-gaps noumena?

Lon

Explain by what you mean as "encounter".
Did you encounter God face-to-face or rather was it vague, fill-in-the-gaps noumena?
In what way would an invisible God make Himself known to you? As you guess, I can say 'yep' to most of them. It is as simple and difficult as that.

Lon

You're sure giving it the good o' college try!
I get what he's saying. He is saying you can't really get behind and convince somebody of something that isn't true, without lying. Further, that lying, one couldn't do so (assert) believing in what is not true as if it were (conviction). To me? Makes sense.

If what you mean rather is that someone can 'assert something untrue' it depends on both of your definition of 'assert.' :think:

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Good luck having fun with your thread. :wave2:

You left this thread, remember? To your chagrin, you couldn't tell me what (if anything) you were calling "Allah", when you said, "I'm referring to Allah". So, you got miffed, and you left.

You're sure giving it the good o' college try!

So, why, exactly, did you come back?

Reactions: Lon