Good Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
One day a young ruler came to Jesus and fell on his knees before him. He said, "Good Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus told him 'if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments' and started quoting the 10 commandments; "Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother."

The young man said he had kept them from the time he was a boy. He had lived a good life. But the Bible says that Jesus looked into the man's heart and saw something that was keeping him from becoming a follower.

Jesus told him that he still lacked one thing, he must sell the things he owned and give the money to the poor. Then he would have treasure in heaven, and he could follow Jesus. The young man's face fell and he went away sad because he had great riches that he would not part with.

So what does this mean to us today, what must I do to inherit eternal life?

Right Divider

Body part
One day a young ruler came to Jesus and fell on his knees before him. He said, "Good Master, what must I do to inherit eternal life?"

Jesus told him 'if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments' and started quoting the 10 commandments; "Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, honor your father and mother."

The young man said he had kept them from the time he was a boy. He had lived a good life. But the Bible says that Jesus looked into the man's heart and saw something that was keeping him from becoming a follower.

Jesus told him that he still lacked one thing, he must sell the things he owned and give the money to the poor. Then he would have treasure in heaven, and he could follow Jesus. The young man's face fell and he went away sad because he had great riches that he would not part with.

Accept God's gracious gift.

k0de

It's a gift therefore it's free, I must do nothing.

In these verses the Master sees the young man’s attachment to his possessions as a hindrance to his faith. The Master commands the young man to rid himself of whatever prevents him from making a total commitment to the kingdom of God.

In other words greed if you will.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It's a gift therefore it's free, I must do nothing.

In these verses the Master sees the young man’s attachment to his possessions as a hindrance to his faith. The Master commands the young man to rid himself of whatever prevents him from making a total commitment to the kingdom of God.

In other words greed if you will.

What about the need for repentance in order to receive the gift?

Luk 24:47

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Right Divider

Body part

And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.
The Lord Jesus Christ was preaching the gospel of the kingdom while on earth... not the gospel of the grace of God that He later gave to Paul when He appeared to Paul.

TrevorL

Greetings Hobie,
I suggest that Jesus was taking the Young Rich Ruler on one step to break his conviction and mind-set that eternal life could be achieved by obedience to the Law, including obedience to the 10 Commandments. I notice that you say Jesus “started quoting the 10 commandments”. I suggest that Jesus deliberately stopped short of quoting the 10th Commandment “Thou shalt not covet”, because any sincere believer would have to admit the problem that they have encountered with this Law. Jesus left this to Paul to elaborate in Romans 7 the difficulty that any Jew had with this Law:
Romans 7:7–11 (ASV 1901): 7 What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Howbeit, I had not known sin, except through the law: for I had not known coveting, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet: 8 but sin, finding occasion, wrought in me through the commandment all manner of coveting: for apart from the law sin is dead. 9 And I was alive apart from the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died; 10 and the commandment, which was unto life, this I found to be unto death: 11 for sin, finding occasion, through the commandment beguiled me, and through it slew me.
Justification is and has always been by faith, from the Garden of Eden, including Abraham, and for those under the Law of Moses. An example for us is the following, where the Samaritans believed the Gospel and were baptised into the death and resurrection of Jesus.
Acts 8:5–6,12 (KJV): 5 Then Philip went down to the city of Samaria, and preached Christ unto them. 6 And the people with one accord gave heed unto those things which Philip spake, hearing and seeing the miracles which he did. 12 But when they believed Philip preaching the things concerning the kingdom of God, and the name of Jesus Christ, they were baptized, both men and women.

Kind regards
Trevor

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Lord Jesus Christ was preaching the gospel of the kingdom while on earth... not the gospel of the grace of God that He later gave to Paul when He appeared to Paul.

Acts 26:20 (Paul)

But shewed first unto them of Damascus, and at Jerusalem, and throughout all the coasts of Judaea, and then to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, and do works meet for repentance.

LA

Hobie

BANNED
Banned

and.. Acts 20:21

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.

Right Divider

Body part
and.. Acts 20:21

Testifying both to the Jews, and also to the Greeks, repentance toward God, and faith toward our Lord Jesus Christ.
What's the problem? They both require repentance.

Do tell me, let me guess.... you think that there is only one "good news" in the Bible.

k0de

You and I already did when we accepted the Lord Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior.

The Biblical repentance, in relation to salvation, is changing your mind from rejection of Christ to faith in Christ.

No one can work to earn salvation.