Matthew 26:28

Cntrysner

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

What is the testament it superseded for remission?

Bradley D

The blood of the old covenant was taken from animals. The blood of the new covenant was given by Jesus upon the cross.

Cntrysner

I have no idea what you're talking about, but it sounds confused.

Illogical and confused. Help me out if you have time.

28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Testament as a new testimony given by Christ for remission as compared to Acts 2:38

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Kingdom deniers think the new testament in Jesus' blood is so impotent that it had the ability be rejected.

Who has the power of rejection in God's economy of redemption? God alone; and He rejects all, both Jews and Gentiles, who do not come to Him by faith. For there is no difference. Rom 10:12KJV

Right Divider

Body part
Kingdom deniers think the new testament in Jesus' blood is so impotent that it had the ability be rejected.

Who has the power of rejection in God's economy of redemption? God alone; and He rejects all, both Jews and Gentiles, who do not come to Him by faith. For there is no difference. Rom 10:12KJV
False accusations from a Bible blender....

The kingdom WILL come... just not yet... just like the Bible says.

Bradley D

New Covenant: God and Israel.

And all Nations. "...Therefore go andc make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit..." (Matthew 28:19).

way 2 go

What is the testament it superseded for remission?

the covenant of animal sacrifice was done away with first with Jesus being the sacrafice

Exo 24:7 Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, "All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient."

then the covenant of circumcision & works was done away with

Gen 17:10 This is my covenant, which you shall keep, between me and you and your offspring after you: Every male among you shall be circumcised.

and finally we are back to Abram's first covenant with God without works with the calling of Saul to Paul

Gen 15:5 And he brought him outside and said, "Look toward heaven, and number the stars, if you are able to number them." Then he said to him, "So shall your offspring be."
Gen 15:6 And he believed the LORD, and he counted it to him as righteousness.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Because they were to look forward to the kingdom. Where is the problem?

The kingdom WILL come when Jesus returns to establish it. Just like the Bible says.

How do people look forward to a kingdom that does not appear in their lifetime?
He also said "thy will be done as it is in heaven".
Why would He have them pray this prayer?

Your problem is you don't believe God's will is being done. His will has been changed to your expectations and that requires you push it off to the future for fulfillment.

He told His disciples; "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." Luk 9:27KJV

The Kingdom is here and you missed it. There is no difference between that and the Pharisees not recognizing their King when He appeared.

"And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." Mar 9:1KJV

Right Divider

Body part
How do people look forward to a kingdom that does not appear in their lifetime?
He also said "thy will be done as it is in heaven".
Why would He have them pray this prayer?
You are using fallacious logic. You are begging the question.

You assume that the kingdom had to come immediately. Jesus explained, on a number of occasions, that this was not the fact.

Luk 19:11-12 KJV And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. (12) He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

The kingdom comes when Christ RETURNS with it.

In the kingdom, Christ the King will sit on the throne of His father David in Jerusalem.

Your problem is you don't believe God's will is being done. His will has been changed to your expectations and that requires you push it off to the future for fulfillment.
You are, once again, making false accusations about me.

It will all be done in God's time, not yours or mine.

He told His disciples; "But I tell you of a truth, there be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the kingdom of God." Luk 9:27KJV
That is a commonly misunderstood passage.

The Kingdom is here and you missed it. There is no difference between that and the Pharisees not recognizing their King when He appeared.
More fallacious logic.

"And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till they have seen the kingdom of God come with power." Mar 9:1KJV
More misunderstood scripture. Christ said that He would go to receive His kingdom and to return.

Luk 22:18 KJV For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Luk 22:29-30 KJV And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; (30) That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
You are using fallacious logic. You are begging the question.

You assume that the kingdom had to come immediately. Jesus explained, on a number of occasions, that this was not the fact.

Luk 19:11-12 KJV And as they heard these things, he added and spake a parable, because he was nigh to Jerusalem, and because they thought that the kingdom of God should immediately appear. (12) He said therefore, A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom, and to return.

The kingdom comes when Christ RETURNS with it.

I am not assuming the Kingdom came immediately. It took at least 33 years if you count Jesus' life. Longer if you include the time until the daily sacrifice was taken away by the Roman army.

It is you who assume His point of departure to be this earth; it was heaven, not earth. He went and came back already. He came into this world (far country), died and rose again defeating Satan and death. He then returned to His original place, heaven, and is waiting until the Father decides enough is enough.

And He tells us that His Kingdom does not come by observation. So why are you looking for it?

In the kingdom, Christ the King will sit on the throne of His father David in Jerusalem.
Yes. He sits on that throne now. It is called the heavenly Jerusalem. The physical Jerusalem is not a fit place for the Lord of Lords and the King of Kings.

More misunderstood scripture. Christ said that He would go to receive His kingdom and to return.
Luk 22:18 KJV For I say unto you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine, until the kingdom of God shall come.

Luk 22:29-30 KJV And I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; (30) That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel.
If you partake of the Lord's Supper you are eating and drinking at His table in His Kingdom.

Cntrysner

Testament as a new testimony given by Christ for remission as compared to Acts 2:38

I'm asking that this verse be looked at as a testimony not a covenant or anything other than a testimony...

a person's will, especially the part relating to personal property.
something that serves as a sign or evidence of a specified fact, event, or quality.
"growing attendance figures are a testament to the event's popularity"
synonyms: testimony, witness, evidence, proof, attestation;

...and compare it to...

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

...as for remission for sins.

What are the differences and if Matt 26:28 is new testimony then it must have superseded the old testimony for remission of sins.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

I'm asking that this verse be looked at as a testimony not a covenant or anything other than a testimony...

a person's will, especially the part relating to personal property.
something that serves as a sign or evidence of a specified fact, event, or quality.
"growing attendance figures are a testament to the event's popularity"
synonyms: testimony, witness, evidence, proof, attestation;

...and compare it to...

Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost

...as for remission for sins.

What are the differences and if Matt 26:28 is new testimony then it must have superseded the old testimony for remission of sins.

There is no other remission of sins in any part of history other than the blood of Christ. Abraham was saved the same way we are, by faith. He had a little light, Moses had more, the prophets more, we have even more light. Heb 11 is a list of those who believed God's promise of redemption through faith and it was counted to them for righteousness.

It is new to the world in that it had not been heard before, not because it was not in effect. And it was the true covenant of God.