What did Christ say about the Law?

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

Matthew 5:17-19 King James Version (KJV)
17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked about the Ten Commandments.

Bradley D

Jesus was the only person ever to live that never sinned. Therefore, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law.

TrevorL

Greetings Hobie,
Now the law is based on God's holy nature and as such scripture states are holy, just, and unchanging, and we see this in the Ten Commandments. But then you also have the ceremonial law which focused the people’s attention on God and gave the people signs that point to the coming Messiah, such as the Passover, and the sacrifices of the unblemished lamb by the priests. One was written with Gods own finger, and the other was from Moses.

Matthew 5:17-19 King James Version (KJV): 17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil. 18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

We see here that Jesus stated "Think not that I am come to destroy the law..but to fulfill", what did He mean? Now, since Jesus knew what laws His death would fulfill, would He be saying this about the Ten Commandments if He were going to fulfill them? So what was He fulfilling, it seems clear it was what pointed to Him, Moses’ ceremonial law which is evident if we see what Jesus said when asked about the Ten Commandments.
We are not under the Sabbath Law as Jesus is the True Rest, the true Sabbath. We are encouraged to find rest in him, not by keeping one day in seven.
Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Jesus was the only person ever to live that never sinned. Therefore, Jesus Christ fulfilled the law.

But yet the Law is part of God and His character, so does it continue. There are many that say they lift up Christ, yet hate and reject Gods Law which comes from love. It is nothing but a snare from evil which has been set up to excuse sin, the Law shows Gods love for man, how to keep from sin and how to love God back and our fellowman, and shows us His love in sending prophets and teachers to explain and illustrate His Law.

Right Divider

Body part
Misquoting scripture is an offense to God and creates falsehoods and confusion.

Mat 5:17 KJV Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.

It's stunning how many try to make this all about the LAW ONLY. It's not.

Bradley D

But yet the Law is part of God and His character, so does it continue. There are many that say they lift up Christ, yet hate and reject Gods Law which comes from love. It is nothing but a snare from evil which has been set up to excuse sin, the Law shows Gods love for man, how to keep from sin and how to love God back and our fellowman, and shows us His love in sending prophets and teachers to explain and illustrate His Law.

The Law is to make us conscious of our sin.

"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin" (Romans 3:20).

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings Hobie,We are not under the Sabbath Law as Jesus is the True Rest, the true Sabbath. We are encouraged to find rest in him, not by keeping one day in seven.
Matthew 11:28–30 (KJV): 28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes, Trevor, but Jesus is not a "day" nor is He ever symbolically or metaphorically linked to being a "day" in the Bible; He's linked to being "the vine", "the lamb", "the door", "the rock" and many other things but never, not once, a "day". We must stick to the Bible and the Bible only.

To "rest in Jesus" actually has three meanings..
1) to rest on the Sabbath day (Heb 4:4&9) or
2) to be one of the righteous dead (1 Thess. 4:14) for you are literally resting in Jesus' love and protection.
3) spiritual rest
But we cannot "cease from all work" seven days a week. To do so is not holy, and God clearly made the other six days for work.

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
Yes, Trevor, but Jesus is not a "day" nor is He ever symbolically or metaphorically linked to being a "day" in the Bible;
You may find your rest on the Sabbath. I find my rest in Christ Matthew 11:25-30. He is the embodiment of the New Covenant and the New Creation. He is the True Rest, the True Sabbath. The Seventh Day Sabbath associated with the Edenic Creation and the Mosaic Covenant was a foreshadowing of the True Rest, where we cease from the works of sin, and look forward to the 1000 years of Rest in the Millennium.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Hobie,You may find your rest on the Sabbath. I find my rest in Christ Matthew 11:25-30. He is the embodiment of the New Covenant and the New Creation. He is the True Rest, the True Sabbath. The Seventh Day Sabbath associated with the Edenic Creation and the Mosaic Covenant was a foreshadowing of the True Rest, where we cease from the works of sin, and look forward to the 1000 years of Rest in the Millennium.

Kind regards
Trevor
So my brother, why does Jesus say to 'Remember the Sabbath' in His Law, it is the day He made at Creation for man. Man cannot change what He wrote in stone and puts into the fleshy parts of our heart. It still is there for those who follow the Creator.

Mark 2:27-28 King James Version (KJV)
27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:
28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
So my brother, why does Jesus say to 'Remember the Sabbath' in His Law, it is the day He made at Creation for man. Man cannot change what He wrote in stone and puts into the fleshy parts of our heart. It still is there for those who follow the Creator.
The new creation as detailed in Psalm 8 and quoted and expounded by Jesus in Matthew 11:25-30 and the new covenant written on the heart and not in stone supersedes the Edenic creation and the Mosaic Covenant written in stone.
Mark 2:27-28 King James Version (KJV)27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath: 28 Therefore the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.
Yes indeed and Jesus did most of his work and ministry on the Sabbath, healing and teaching.

Kind regards
Trevor

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again Hobie,The new creation as detailed in Psalm 8 and quoted and expounded by Jesus in Matthew 11:25-30 and the new covenant written on the heart and not in stone supersedes the Edenic creation and the Mosaic Covenant written in stone. Yes indeed and Jesus did most of his work and ministry on the Sabbath, healing and teaching.

Kind regards
Trevor

My brother, nothing supersedes Gods Law as it is part of His character, it is a Law of Love for God and your fellow man, and Christ made clear they still are His Law.

Matthew 22:37-41 King James Version (KJV)
37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

And tells us..

John 14:15
If ye love me, keep my commandments.

John 14:21
He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
The Law is to make us conscious of our sin.

"Therefore no one will be declared righteous in God's sight by the works of the law; rather, through the law we become conscious of our sin" (Romans 3:20).

And yet if someone comes and wants to take your wife in adultery, would you just say, 'Wow, look how conscious I am of sin', or what if they want to steal or murder? You see how disobeying the law immediately breaks down and shows the falseness of the claim it no longer applies and is gone.

k0de

Yes, Trevor, but Jesus is not a "day" nor is He ever symbolically or metaphorically linked to being a "day" in the Bible; He's linked to being "the vine", "the lamb", "the door", "the rock" and many other things but never, not once, a "day". We must stick to the Bible and the Bible only.

To "rest in Jesus" actually has three meanings..
1) to rest on the Sabbath day (Heb 4:4&9) or
2) to be one of the righteous dead (1 Thess. 4:14) for you are literally resting in Jesus' love and protection.
3) spiritual rest
But we cannot "cease from all work" seven days a week. To do so is not holy, and God clearly made the other six days for work.
What? [emoji43][emoji91][emoji49]

Matthew 12: 8. For the Son of Man is Lord of the Sabbath."

Jesus is LORD of the SABBATH.
Matthew 12:1-14.

I guess you haven't read what David did?
Matthew 12: 3. He answered, "Haven't you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry?

I'm praying for you [emoji120].

Last edited:

TrevorL

Greetings again Hobie,
My brother, nothing supersedes Gods Law as it is part of His character, it is a Law of Love for God and your fellow man, and Christ made clear they still are His Law.
Matthew 22:37-41 King James Version (KJV) 37 Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. 38 This is the first and great commandment.
39 And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. 40 On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.
And tells us..John 14:15 If ye love me, keep my commandments.
John 14:21 He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
All the above is not directly referring to the 10 Commandments. Jesus expanded the 10 Commandments and revealed the heart of man, for example Matthew 5:21-26. Paul showed the failure of the 10th Commandment to produce righteousness Romans 7:7-9 and he then shows the new way of life in Christ Romans 8:1-4.

Kind regards
Trevor

Bradley D

You're so confused Bradley.

During His time on earth, Jesus was a minister of the circumcision (Romans 15:8) and yet you think that "these words" are what you should follow.

Please be more discerning.

I disagree. I will continue to follow the Words of Jesus. Whose words do you follow?

Right Divider

Body part

Hobie

BANNED
Banned
Jesus and His Words in Red!

So what did Jesus say about the Law of God? Jesus declared to His very disciples, 'I have kept My Fathers commandments and abide in His love.' John 15:10.
So did He substantiate that God has a divine Law?

Jesus declared that God does have a divine Law by which He governs all things. Jesus declared that God's commandments are established on a principle of love. Law-keeping may degenerate to legalism and a salvation by works kind of religion but this was not and is not God's intention. He wants us to love Him and our fellow man, and on this hangs the law and Gods prophets.