Is Jesus God?

Right Divider

Body part
Well since you are going down the what it does not say route...we can close this argument once and for all...It does not say that God is a Trinity...it does not say three distinct persons....It does say the only true God...do you have another only true God apart from the Father???
Please let me know what you understand by "only".. since you have a problem with my understanding of only...
The Bible calls the Father God.
The Bible calls the Son God.
The Bible calls the Holy Spirit God.

I'll stick with the Bible.

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
Sounds like you need to pay more attention when you read.

It says "the Father is the only true God."

It does not, however, say "ONLY the Father is the (only) true God."

Because that is not the issue.. The issue is the Father is the only true God... this nonsense about what it does not say is grasping at straws... Are you saying that Jesus was at a loss for words... We are discussing the scripture... which is what is written... and what is said... bringing up what was not said is a strawman... Paul wrote to us there is but one God The father.. not one God The Trinity..

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
The Bible calls the Father God.
The Bible calls the Son God.
The Bible calls the Holy Spirit God.

I'll stick with the Bible.
Nope the Bible does not call Jesus or the holy Spirit God.. that is your misunderstanding... You haven't shown me what you understand only to mean??? Please let me know what you think only means..

Right Divider

Body part
Nope the Bible does not call Jesus or the holy Spirit God.. that is your misunderstanding... You haven't shown me what you understand only to mean??? Please let me know what you think only means..
Are you lying or just ignorant?

Act 5:3-4 KJV But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? (4) Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Peter says that lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to God. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is God.

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
Fallacious logic is all the rage these days.

No, a son is not his father... but a son has the same NATURE as his father.

The Son of God is God, just like His Father.
So if a son is not his father then Jesus is not God... because his father is God.We know that the son was made flesh therefore he was not a spirit as the father... not withstanding the spirit of the father was in him. So you are wrong the son of God was flesh God is spirit... let me ask you this...If Jesus is the firstborn of many brethren and we will be just like him.If he is God wouldn't that mean we will be God also..Are you going to be like the most high God???

Right Divider

Body part
So if a son is not his father then Jesus is not God...
I'm beginning to believe that your have a mental problem.

Jesus is God.

Jesus accepted being called God without hesitation

Joh 20:28-29 KJV And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (29) Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Why didn't Jesus correct Thomas? (HINT: Because Thomas was correct and you are wrong).

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
Are you lying or just ignorant?

Act 5:3-4 KJV But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back part of the price of the land? (4) Whiles it remained, was it not thine own? and after it was sold, was it not in thine own power? why hast thou conceived this thing in thine heart? thou hast not lied unto men, but unto God.

Peter says that lying to the Holy Spirit is lying to God. Therefore, the Holy Spirit is God.
Yep and you didn't understand what Peter was saying... see if you can glean anything from this passage...33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Based on your understanding when Jesus said if you did it unto to them you did it unto me... they were actually feeding clothing and visiting Jesus in prison...

Right Divider

Body part
Yep and you didn't understand what Peter was saying... see if you can glean anything from this passage...33 And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

42 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Based on your understanding when Jesus said if you did it unto to them you did it unto me... they were actually feeding clothing and visiting Jesus in prison...
You're so typical of the childish type that cannot handle actual discussion and just try to create rabbit trails.

I will not play your silly and childish games.

You've earned a coveted spot on my ignore list.

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
I'm beginning to believe that your have a mental problem.

Jesus is God.

Jesus accepted being called God without hesitation

Joh 20:28-29 KJV And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God. (29) Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.

Why didn't Jesus correct Thomas? (HINT: Because Thomas was correct and you are wrong).
Well I don't know that God's name has changed...has it??? God's name is Yahweh.. Thomas didn't call Jesus Yahweh did he??? God is addressed as Father did Thomas say Father???... Again if we are to assert that Jesus is God...then Jesus was a liar... and Peter was wrong..
13 When Jesus came into the coasts of Caesarea Philippi, he asked his disciples, saying, Whom do men say that I the Son of man am?

14 And they said, Some say that thou art John the Baptist: some, Elias; and others, Jeremias, or one of the prophets.

15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?

16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.

17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

So at this point if Jesus asked you who he is.. what would your answer be?? would you be like Peter and let God reveal it to you or would you let the RCC dictate what you answer...

newbirth61

BANNED
Banned
You're so typical of the childish type that cannot handle actual discussion and just try to create rabbit trails.

I will not play your silly and childish games.

You've earned a coveted spot on my ignore list.
You have not dealt with any issue that I brought up. You are just posting
Trinitarians proof texts... where is your discussion?? Have you addressed any of my points??? Apparently you are not able to handle opposing views...I didn't ask you to respond to my posts...So what do I care about your ignore list??? Just tell me if Peter was wrong when he said that Jesus is the Christ the son of the living God... Just tell me if God was wrong when he revealed that to Peter???

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Once again, try and quote me in full buddy. You ignore the context and my classifications I made in my last and previous replies, yawn... again your post are boring, all your replies are showing is your ability to ignore the points I keep covering. I explained exactly what I meant by my words "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly", it's not my issue if you want to ignore what I said.

Oh, but I did quote you in full. To exhibit the fact that you said, "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly", I quoted you in full as saying exactly that:

Jesus did not want people to worship him directly.

I didn't quote you merely in part; I didn't quote you thus:

did not want people to worship him directly.
nor thus:
esus did not want p
nor thus:
ople to wors
nor thus:
him directly.
etc.

Did you, or did you not, say "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly"? You did say that, obviously. I ALWAYS quote you in quote boxes DIRECTLY LINKED to the post from which I am quoting you. Anyone can easily click the link to find for themself exactly where you wrote:

Jesus did not want people to worship him directly.

One of the points I was making was that you said, "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly", and that is exactly why I quoted you, in full, as saying "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly." Quoting anything else, in addition to that, would have been entirely irrelevant to my point. I, obviously, can see why YOU would like me to quote material that you have written that is irrelevant to my point; it's just one more failed, transparently pathetic attempt by you to distract attention away from just how dismally you've embarrassed your Christ-despising heresy by your self-contradiction. The fact remains, no matter what other crap you have written on TOL (and you have written oh so much crap on TOL, indeed!!), that you have said "Jesus did not want people to worship him directly."

Do you now wish to retract that? Very well. Say, then:

"I, NWL, hereby retract my claim that Jesus did not want people to worship him directly."

7djengo7

That is nonsense...to show me that the Trinity is biblically true you have to show me where the scripture says that God is a Trinity... not asking loaded questions. What is a distinct person??? A distinct person is an imaginary construct to support the Trinity. God the Father is a spirit... not a person... unless you are saying that a spirit is a person. The holy Spirit is the spirit of God... not a person... unless you are saying that a spirit is a person. See you have to make the most high God the Father... into a person in order to materialize your Trinity. I am not buying into your nonsense.

You say, out of one side of your mouth, that the word 'person' is meaningless, and then, out of the other side of your mouth, you say "God is not a person". If the word 'person' is meaningless, then, when you say "God the Father is not a person", you are merely speaking nonsense. That is, you're not affirming truth, and you're not even affirming falsehood. What is nonsense is neither true, nor false. If you wish to deny that you meant that the word 'person' is meaningless, then, by all means, Professor, do tell us exactly what you mean by 'person' when you say "God the Father is not a person". Tell us exactly what you are saying God the Father is not, when you say "God the Father is not a person". You're not just puffing out nonsense, are you? Surely you're not so stupid as to think that, just because you have strung some words together, like "God the Father is not a person", you must have meant something by them.

7djengo7

Well since you are going down the what it does not say route...we can close this argument once and for all...It does not say that God is a Trinity...it does not say three distinct persons....It does say the only true God...do you have another only true God apart from the Father???
Please let me know what you understand by "only".. since you have a problem with my understanding of only...

Where does the Bible say that ONLY God the Father is the Only True God? That's right, Professor! Nowhere! :) Not in John 17:3, nor anywhere else. Since, by the word 'God', you mean exclusively God the Father, here is what you are saying when you say that "God the Father is the only true God":

"God the Father is the only true [God the Father]"

That's a tautology, of course. No argument from Trinitarians: we agree that God the Father is the only true God the Father. But, um, what's your point?

Oh, what's that? That's inconvenient and embarrassing? So, you don't mean that when you say "God the Father is the only true God"? All right, then, what do you mean by it?? Let's have it.:)

betsy123

So the evidence so far suggest that worship despite being given to Jesus goes to the Father and not to Jesus himself yet this is somehow "only if you believe Jesus is God", that isn't what the scripture say though is it. Moreover you're excusing the point and simply throwing in that random statement.

We literally have the fact "worship and given to Jesus isn't for his glory but rather for the Father glory" and you just throw "because Jesus is God" in there like it changes anything. Throwing your idea into the equation when you aren’t; even backing up what you say with scripture is hardly evidence of anything, try harder. Once again worship given to Jesus is clearly demonstrated as being to the Fathers glory and not Jesus.

Wrong, you have misconstrued the entire context of Exo 20:1-4 and simply cherry-picked words in order to try and bolster your point. Re-read Exo 20:1-4 again:

You've butchered Exodus 20!

Lol. What happened to Exodus 20:5?

You've posted this, #310:

Jesus is the perfect image of God so it certainly isn't idolatry,

The Scriptures disagrees with you!

READ!

Exodus 20

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth;

5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them. For I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting[c] the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and fourth generations of those who hate Me,

Why didn't you include it? Why did you leave that out? Because, I'm bang-on!

If you don't believe Jesus is God Himself - then, you're committing idolatry in your worship of Jesus! You commit idolatry when you serve Jesus Christ!

Can't get any clearer than that!

betsy123

Jesus cannot be God if Jesus ascended to his God... Jesus cannot be God if God sent him to be the savior of the world... Jesus cannot be God if God made him Lord and Christ...

Nothing there saying Jesus is God... God is not flesh... Jesus said that he came out from God... that does not make him God..In the same way a man's children is considered to come out of his loins... does that make his children him??? You came out of your father's loin ... Are you your father???

So if a son is not his father then Jesus is not God... because his father is God.We know that the son was made flesh therefore he was not a spirit as the father... not withstanding the spirit of the father was in him. So you are wrong the son of God was flesh God is spirit... let me ask you this...If Jesus is the firstborn of many brethren and we will be just like him.If he is God wouldn't that mean we will be God also..Are you going to be like the most high God???

I don't know where you non-Trinitarians are getting your apologetics from, but you're all arguing like juveniles. You keep giving bits and pieces.... some of you even chops off parts of the verses.....and clearly lack some understanding of the Bible.

I suggest you read posts # 320, 375, 381 and 401.

Maybe, you could answer the dilemma I gave.

Last edited:

betsy123

Well I don't know that God's name has changed...has it??? God's name is Yahweh.. Thomas didn't call Jesus Yahweh did he???

Oh, I see.....Thomas didn't call Jesus, Yahweh.
Instead, Thomas called Him, God.
Do you know why?

After the Babylonian Exile (6th century bce), and especially from the 3rd century bce on, Jews ceased to use the name Yahweh for two reasons. As Judaism became a universal rather than merely local religion, the more common noun Elohim, meaning “God,” tended to replace Yahweh to demonstrate the universal sovereignty of Israel’s God over all others.

The Masoretes, who from about the 6th to the 10th century worked to reproduce the original text of the Hebrew Bible, replaced the vowels of the name YHWH with the vowel signs of the Hebrew words Adonai or Elohim.

Latin-speaking Christian scholars substituted the Y (which does not exist in Latin) with an I or a J (the latter of which exists in Latin as a variant form of I).
Thus, the tetragrammaton became the artificial Latinized name Jehovah (JeHoWaH).
https://www.britannica.com/topic/Yahweh

YHWH is the name given by God to Moses.
4 Hebrew consonants called, tetragrammaton.

No one knows exactly how that should be pronounced.
And yet, here you are, telling us His name is Yahweh!
How do you know that?

betsy123

Originally Posted by NWL View Post
Once again, try and quote me in full buddy.

I could almost hear God saying the same thing to you!

Hahahaha I find that funny.....coming from the one who tends to chop off parts of the Biblical verses!

Hahahaha

Last edited:

betsy123

Wrong, you have misconstrued the entire context of Exo 20:1-4 and simply cherry-picked words in order to try and bolster your point. Re-read Exo 20:1-4 again:

"..Then God spoke all these words: 2 “I am Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery. 3 You must not have any other gods besides me. 4 “You must not make for yourself a carved image or a form like anything that is in the heavens above or on the earth below or in the waters under the earth.." (Exodus 20:1-4)

Actually, it's you who cherry-picks.

Btw, you've changed the word of the verses you quoted. There is no "Jehovah" in it!
Here:

20 And God spoke all these words, saying:

2 “I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3 “You shall have no other gods before Me.

4 “You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything …

I don't know why you have to change it to "Jehovah."
Must be New World Translation, eh?

As you can see the commandment wasn't what you made it out to be, namely worshipping someone in the likeness of God, but rather making a carved image in the likeness of God. There is a difference when Man, who cannot see God creates an image of God and worshipping that image and God himself creating an image of himself and commanding others to worship the perfect image of him. Only God is capable of creating an image that so perfectly resembles him, and that is exactly what Jesus is, a created image of God, "He [Jesus] is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation" (Colossians 1:15).

That's why you've chopped off line 5!

Exodus 20
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

It knocks down your argument!
Because you don't believe Jesus is God Himself - it shows you commit idolatry when you bow and serve Jesus Christ!

Leaving that out to take the message out of context - that's being dishonest, you know.

Dishonesty?
Does it have any association with God? Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway.....

.....if you guys have to resort to dishonesty to prop up your belief - that clearly shows that you follow......... false teachings!

Wakey-wakey......

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Actually, it's you who cherry-picks.

Btw, you've changed the word of the verses you quoted. There is no "Jehovah" in it!
Here:

20 And God spoke all these words, saying:

2“I am the Lord your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.

3“You shall have no other gods before Me.

4“You shall not make for yourself a carved image—any likeness of anything …

a7485efaf46dd7b9ac5afdff0c4d35c8.jpg

The Hebrew has "YHWH" in verse 2.

I don't know why you have to change it to "Jehovah."
Must be New World Translation, eh?

That's why you've chopped off line 5!

Exodus 20
5 you shall not bow down to them nor serve them.

It knocks down your argument!
Because you don't believe Jesus is God Himself - it shows you commit idolatry when you bow and serve Jesus Christ!

Leaving that out to take the message out of context - that's being dishonest, you know.

Dishonesty?
Does it have any association with God? Ironic, isn't it?

Anyway.....

.....if you guys have to resort to dishonesty to prop up your belief - that clearly shows that you follow......... false teachings!

Wakey-wakey......

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Because that is not the issue.. The issue is the Father is the only true God... this nonsense about what it does not say is grasping at straws...

The issue is that you're forcing the passage to say something that it does not, and we're calling you out on it.

Are you saying that Jesus was at a loss for words... We are discussing the scripture... which is what is written... and what is said... bringing up what was not said is a strawman...

Right, which is why it is important to not force the scripture, as you are doing, to say something that it does not say. Agan, we are pointing out that what you are claiming the passage says is NOT what it ACTUALLY says, and trying to correct you so that you see what it actually says.

Paul wrote to us there is but one God The father.. not one God The Trinity..

There's more to the verse than that, Newbirth.

Here is the full verse:

yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live. - 1 Corinthians 8:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=1Corinthians8:6&version=NKJV

But getting back to the verse at hand:

Speaking to His Father, Jesus said:
[JESUS]And this is eternal life, that they may know You, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom You have sent.[/JESUS] - John 17:3 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=John17:3&version=NKJV

YOU are forcing the verse to say, "ONLY You, the (only) true God," but it doesn't say what you want it to say.

It says, Newbirth, that the Father is the only true God.

The only exclusive in this verse is "the only true God."

But that "only" doesn't apply to the Father.

Which means that the statements, "the Son is the only true God," and "the Holy Spirit is the only True God," are NOT excluded by verse 3.

Especially considering verses like Titus 2:13

looking for the blessed hope and glorious appearing of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, - Titus 2:13 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Titus2:13&version=NKJV

And 2 Peter 1:1

Simon Peter, a bondservant and apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ: - 2 Peter 1:1 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=2Peter1:1&version=NKJV

And even Acts 5:3-4, 9.

But Peter said, “Ananias, why has Satan filled your heart to lie to the Holy Spirit and keep back part of the price of the land for yourself?While it remained, was it not your own? And after it was sold, was it not in your own control? Why have you conceived this thing in your heart? You have not lied to men but to God.” . . . Then Peter said to her, “How is it that you have agreed together to test the Spirit of the Lord? Look, the feet of those who have buried your husband are at the door, and they will carry you out.” - Acts 5:3-4,9 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Acts5:3-4,9&version=NKJV

In other words, the only argument you can make to attempt to disprove the trinity is that the Bible never outright says that God is triune. But that's not getting the bigger picture of what the Bible says, because it clearly does say, not outright like you wish it would say, but in the details, that God is one God, and three Persons.