My Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I minored in Mathematics.

Do you know what a truth statement is? A claim? A proposition?

Sure....but do you have something you’d specifically like to discuss? Generally, religion and logic aren’t exactly compatible. You just claimed that you would offer blood sacrifice in a thread last night.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Sure....but do you have something you’d specifically like to discuss? Generally, religion and logic aren’t exactly compatible. You just claimed that you would offer blood sacrifice in a thread last night.

God commanded sacrifice. The question is if we do sacrifice any more.

Computer logic and philosophical logic are different. Have you taken Discrete Mathematics? We do talk about truth.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Well, A and B are equally competing thus, they're contradictory claims asserting identical Truths. How do you discern the Truth claim from the false one?

That seems reasonable yet, I see you hold faith in the Bible (you've used it to demonstrate points prior). How may you assert the Bible as demostrative Truth as opposed to any other sacred text?

On the first question, if A and B are equal, there is no false claim.

On the second question, I’m not expert on other sacred texts. But let’s just say that I wished to determine whether or not the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. Then I would begin the slow, laborious, and deliberate process of examining the claims to see if they could be true. I would have to consciously suspend preconceived judgments or opinions on it during that period of research. I never claimed such a process is an easy thing to do. Yet, words do mean things...

So, let’s say the Book of Mormon made a claim about something specific...like say, that Jews inhabited America, prior to the 15th century. In that case I would examine the scientific literature regarding dna analysis on the people groups of North America to trace the lineage... which BTW, has been done. There is no evidence supporting this claim...so I wouldn’t call it true, and yet wouldn’t be able to absolutely call it false. I would consider it extremely unlikely and admit that more research would need to be done.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
God commanded sacrifice. The question is if we do sacrifice any more.

Computer logic and philosophical logic are different. Have you taken Discrete Mathematics? We do talk about truth.

No. God didn’t command blood sacrifice. The Bible claims God commanded blood sacrifice. Those two statements are not the same. No one knows what God actually said, but we do know that people wrote the Bible. If you have the logical mind to understand complex mathematics, then you should also be able to understand the logic in what I just said.

You are aware that there are no original bibles available for fact checking right? And you do know that it has been demonstrated that biblical texts have changed over time....right? That means people have changed the Bible at Will, over the centuries and millennia.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No. God didn’t command blood sacrifice. The Bible claims God commanded blood sacrifice. Those two statements are not the same. No one knows what God actually said, but we do know that people wrote the Bible. If you have the logical mind to understand complex mathematics, then you should also be able to understand the logic in what I just said.

You are aware that there are no original bibles available for fact checking right? And you do know that it has been demonstrated that biblical texts have changed over time....right? That means people have changed the Bible at Will, over the centuries and millennia.

There are different Manuscripts, but from the Autographs to its copies we have scribes who wrote down what was already written, with great accuracy. As for whether or not God commanded sacrifice we just need a place in scripture where He did. I don't have one offhand, but I believe that I have seen one. I do not know why you are against sacrifice. As a Jew we believe the truth that sacrifice is of God. What is debated is if sacrifice is for today, especially without a temple.

quip

BANNED
Banned
On the first question, if A and B are equal, there is no false claim.
No, they're equally competing...two contradictory claims vying for Truth.

On the second question, I’m not expert on other sacred texts. But let’s just say that I wished to determine whether or not the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. Then I would begin the slow, laborious, and deliberate process of examining the claims to see if they could be true. I would have to consciously suspend preconceived judgments or opinions on it during that period of research. I never claimed such a process is an easy thing to do. Yet, words do mean things...

In lieu of appreciable evidence, on what basis do you judge the Truth of metaphysical claims?

quip

BANNED
Banned
What is it you want to know?

I view spirituality as a personal pursuit; all evidence pertaining to a personal God is - by definition - personal, subjective and not privy to (unbiased) objective claim.

Our motto is a simple one, we reject what is false, embrace what is true, and question everything that is not known.

In light of this, it seems your only recourse is your third option. You agree or disagree?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I view spirituality as a personal pursuit; all evidence pertaining to a personal God is - by definition - personal, subjective and not privy to (unbiased) objective claim.

In light of this, it seems your only recourse is your third option. You agree or disagree?

I think I agree on both counts.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Good.
That's why I question religion; dispense with biased dogma...seek within not with-out.

I agree with your philosophy; but I also choose to look without because I believe there is truth there. Firstly, I believe in looking at that which is made. This world that we live in. Not only can we learn much by studying science, both past and present, but we can learn truth as we examine the world ourselves.

And just like when we look within ourselves to find out who we really are; there are things that are not pleasant to know. Sometimes the truth hurts. But truth is truth and so it must be respected. There is so much evil in the world; so many bad things which occur.....and at the same time the opposite is true.

So, our own experiences in this world are also a truth and we can learn from them. For me, the more I look at religions (especially Christianity as that was my back ground) the more questions I get that don't have answers.

One fail that I see is the notion that all the "evils" in this world are the responsibility of the devil. I can't understand how people can justify this position. On the one hand, they claim they believe in Almighty God, Omnipotent, Omniscient, Omnipresent.....yet they let him off the hook in this matter and blame it on the devil.

As if the devil - if it even exists - could do anything whatsoever if God were in fact present in this world. The notion of war in heaven?!!! What a joke.

God has no equals - therefore he can have no enemies.

If God actually had an enemy; and he is in fact all "Omni" then he could obviously willfully cause them to cease to be withing a billionth of a second and no one would even be able to question it.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
People believe God let the devil kill the world, but he helps them find their car keys when they pray?

Pffft. I mean. Honestly. Put on a thinking cap.

nikolai_42

Since Rejective Knowists believe that if God exists, he must be good....they are willing to admit there are things they don’t know, and that is ok.

Sounds to me like you can only make positive claims of truth on statements about subjective assessments (e.g. "The sky looks blue to me" would be true but you couldn't know if "The sky is blue"). Which means you are left with ONLY beliefs about the things themselves (e.g. the sky in this example). Therefore real, actual objective truth about the world and everything is impossible. You can properly only hold beliefs about those things. And based on your dim view of beliefs (though you allow people to hold them in your religion), you're consigned to scientific indeterminism for eternity. So unless you set up some arbitrary standard for determining when observations become reliable enough to become established, objective fact ("truth"), you have no mechanism whereby you can proceed beyond probabilistic statements.

The only way out of that? Divine revelation of the Truth.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:5-6

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Truth exists and Jesus said
I am the way the truth and the life no man comes to the Father except by Me.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Truth exists and Jesus said
I am the way the truth and the life no man comes to the Father except by Me.

Right. But, I thought Christians believe Jesus is God? So, if Jesus is God and a person believes in God but not Jesus yet prays, how are they not getting to Jesus or God?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Sounds to me like you can only make positive claims of truth on statements about subjective assessments (e.g. "The sky looks blue to me" would be true but you couldn't know if "The sky is blue"). Which means you are left with ONLY beliefs about the things themselves (e.g. the sky in this example). Therefore real, actual objective truth about the world and everything is impossible. You can properly only hold beliefs about those things. And based on your dim view of beliefs (though you allow people to hold them in your religion), you're consigned to scientific indeterminism for eternity. So unless you set up some arbitrary standard for determining when observations become reliable enough to become established, objective fact ("truth"), you have no mechanism whereby you can proceed beyond probabilistic statements.

The only way out of that? Divine revelation of the Truth.

Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

John 14:5-6

Yes....you are right on the points above. But, aren’t you doing the same thing you accuse me of when you accept the Bible as divine revelation of truth?

Which would be fine, if in fact it could be demonstrated. But I don’t think it does. I could tell you why but I guess you don’t want to hear it. So, I’ll just say....if the Bible is the divine revelation of truth, then it must be that consistently....right?

Or, would you accept that the Bible is partially true, partially not true? Partially human and partially divine? If so, then you could dismiss the false parts as being the mistakes of men?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Right. But, I thought Christians believe Jesus is God? So, if Jesus is God and a person believes in God but not Jesus yet prays, how are they not getting to Jesus or God?
That is a good question. What if the person does not know about Jesus? Does God or Jesus hear their prayer when they pray to God?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
That is a good question. What if the person does not know about Jesus? Does God or Jesus hear their prayer when they pray to God?

Of course. How could God be God if he can’t hear the prayers of ALL people? Wouldn’t a god who only knows some things or people not be the real Omniscient God?

Status
Not open for further replies.