My Religion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Why not September of 4004 BC?

Because people have been living on planet Earth for tens of thousands of years longer than that. We now know these facts to be true because of this wonderful thing God allowed us to invent called science. If you would like me to prove it to you, I could do it....but that would not be my pleasure. I feel people should do their own homework.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Because people have been living on planet Earth for tens of thousands of years longer than that. We now know these facts to be true because of this wonderful thing God allowed us to invent called science. If you would like me to prove it to you, I could do it....but that would not be my pleasure. I feel people should do their own homework.

I believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans. You?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I believe that Adam and Eve were the first humans. You?

If it please you to think of it that way....great. You do know Adam means man. So, ok... God made men. And of course that means men and women, just to be proper about it.

I haven’t the foggiest clue who the first people were.....but I will tell you this. Two is not a population. Two is a population nearly gone extinct. Populations survive in numbers or they die and no longer exist.

So, if God made Adam and Eve in a move of special creation, then it seems pretty clear to accept that he made a surviving population of humans....but whatever...

Since I don’t know how God did things, I can’t speak to it. Maybe he used a form of guided evolution to create all life. I mean, one could certainly argue that point from the Bible.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
If it please you to think of it that way....great. You do know Adam means man. So, ok... God made men. And of course that means men and women, just to be proper about it.

I haven’t the foggiest clue who the first people were.....but I will tell you this. Two is not a population. Two is a population nearly gone extinct. Populations survive in numbers or they die and no longer exist.

So, if God made Adam and Eve in a move of special creation, then it seems pretty clear to accept that he made a surviving population of humans....but whatever...

Since I don’t know how God did things, I can’t speak to it. Maybe he used a form of guided evolution to create all life. I mean, one could certainly argue that point from the Bible.

I wouldn't argue that point from the Bible. I trust and believe the Bible. It says nothing of evolution. You can change to believing it too.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I wouldn't argue that point from the Bible. I trust and believe the Bible. It says nothing of evolution. You can change to believing it too.

I’ll argue it. Genesis chapter one verse 24 says let the Earth bring forth all living creatures according to their kind. And it can be observed that all creatures live after their kind.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I’ll argue it. Genesis chapter one verse 24 says let the Earth bring forth all living creatures according to their kind. And it can be observed that all creatures live after their kind.
What are you arguing for?

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
What are you arguing for?

Dude! Seriously. What are we talking about? I’m arguing that according to the Bible, God used some form of evolution to bring forth all living creatures from the earth. Duh. I mean, I don’t like to be insulting, but what the heck?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dude! Seriously. What are we talking about? I’m arguing that according to the Bible, God used some form of evolution to bring forth all living creatures from the earth. Duh. I mean, I don’t like to be insulting, but what the heck?

Nope! No evolution. God spoke.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Nope! No evolution. God spoke.

Ok. Can’t prove that but nothing wrong with believing it in my book. Why not? Of course, that completely misses the point that I literally just quoted Bible that says the opposite of that...but whatever, all good. I don’t really even care. All I know is that I’m here just as my ancestors before me.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ok. Can’t prove that but nothing wrong with believing it in my book. Why not? Of course, that completely misses the point that I literally just quoted Bible that says the opposite of that...but whatever, all good. I don’t really even care. All I know is that I’m here just as my ancestors before me.

The Bible proves my point too. Read Genesis 1. Where does it prove yours? You need to read verse 25.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I wanted to know for what you were arguing. I do not see a point you are making. In other words, I do not conclude that the Bible is talking about evolution. Sorry. That is all. You can change your opinion.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
I wanted to know for what you were arguing. I do not see a point you are making. In other words, I do not conclude that the Bible is talking about evolution. Sorry. That is all. You can change your opinion.

You told me that people find you impossible to talk to. That is why.

Reactions: Lon

Lon

I reject all of the worlds religions of which I am aware.
:think: Including the Bible?

In regards to this great [Bible], I have but to say it is the best God has given to man. All the good the Savior gave the world was communicated through this book. But for it, we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man's welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it. -Abraham Lincoln

“When I do good I feel good, and when I do bad, I feel bad. And that is my religion.” -Abraham Lincoln
Like Abraham Lincoln, a take a more simple and straightforward approach to religion.
When I left Springfield [for the Presidency], I asked the people to pray for me. I was not a Christian. When I buried my son, the severest trial of my life, I was not a Christian. But, when I went to Gettysburg and saw the graves of thousands of soldiers, I then and there consecrated myself to Christ - Abraham Lincoln :think:

Lon

"Evolution" makes things happen or 'is the mechanism that makes things." While your 'idea' (I'd argue NOT 'evolution') is tangible, and can fit into the scriptural theme, I'm convinced "Evolution as a mechanism" is incompatible with "Creation." Colossians 1:17

IOW, I think well-meaning theists believe in scientific observation, but the term "evolution" as portrayed and understood in the scientific community, is anti-theological by its inception and components. It is an idea that things can live and become, all in and of themselves. It simply doesn't happen. Again Colossians 1:17

If you ever find a scientist that argues against that idea of evolution, you've found a good scientist but they are going against the majority of their community at that point. Evolution, perhaps without meaning to do so, is agnostic at best and often the fodder for atheists who don't understand why science is agnostic (without purposefully meaning to be). It simply tries to make observations without being religious in complication. That said a few too many of them then think that "If I can't see it, touch it, or otherwise scientifically observe it, then it doesn't exist." That's really poor thinking. Meta (with) physics is proof enough of that. Not sure how much such is part of the intent of your thread, however. -Lon

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
"Evolution" makes things happen or 'is the mechanism that makes things." While your 'idea' (I'd argue NOT 'evolution') is tangible, and can fit into the scriptural theme, I'm convinced "Evolution as a mechanism" is incompatible with "Creation." Colossians 1:17

IOW, I think well-meaning theists believe in scientific observation, but the term "evolution" as portrayed and understood in the scientific community, is anti-theological by its inception and components. It is an idea that things can live and become, all in and of themselves. It simply doesn't happen. Again Colossians 1:17

If you ever find a scientist that argues against that idea of evolution, you've found a good scientist but they are going against the majority of their community at that point. Evolution, perhaps without meaning to do so, is agnostic at best and often the fodder for atheists who don't understand why science is agnostic (without purposefully meaning to be). It simply tries to make observations without being religious in complication. That said a few too many of them then think that "If I can't see it, touch it, or otherwise scientifically observe it, then it doesn't exist." That's really poor thinking. Meta (with) physics is proof enough of that. Not sure how much such is part of the intent of your thread, however. -Lon

I don’t care what the intent of the thread was, I want to hear from people who can think and make rational argument. So thank you for responding.

Guyver

BANNED
Banned
Because I don't believe in evolution? What is why?

You think YOUR believing or not believing a thing has any effect on the reality of that thing whatsoever? That’s silly. Things which exist do not require anyone’s beliefs.

The fact is that everything in this world changes all the time. Evolution means change over time. You not believing it has no effect on it whatsoever. Look at your face in the mirror. Now, look at a picture of yourself when you were a baby. Now, think back to the time when you were a teenager and you looked at your face in the mirror. You have changed over time, and you will continue to change over time, even after the day you die.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You think YOUR believing or not believing a thing has any effect on the reality of that thing whatsoever? That’s silly. Things which exist do not require anyone’s beliefs.

The fact is that everything in this world changes all the time. Evolution means change over time. You not believing it has no effect on it whatsoever. Look at your face in the mirror. Now, look at a picture of yourself when you were a baby. Now, think back to the time when you were a teenager and you looked at your face in the mirror. You have changed over time, and you will continue to change over time, even after the day you die.
That is not the Theory of Evolution.

Status
Not open for further replies.