MATTHEW 24:3 THE SIGN OF THY COMING

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
They both have eternal life by faith in Christ.

For Israel they had to believe on the name of Jesus....that he is Christ, the Son of God. To enter the kingdom they had to be faithful, be baptized, confess him, sell possessions and obey the commandments to have a position of authority to reign with Christ in the Davidic kingdom. Israel's program diminished and was gradually replaced by the dispensation of grace.

To Paul was revealed the gospel of the dispensation of the grace of God to both Jew and Gentile.

With respect...this does not answer the question.

What is the difference?

Jerry Shugart

I do not use anything but KJV

So you think that the Lord Jesus' disciples asked about what would happen at the end of the world. Here is what He said in answer to that question:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory" (Mt.25:31).​

Do you think that the Lord Jesus was referring to sitting on His throne at the end of the world?

I think that He was speaking of sitting on His throne in the earthly kingdom where He will reign on the earth:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth"
(Jer.23:5).​

Apple7

Matthew 24:3 And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?

Jesus is teaching the disciples of his coming and the time of Jacob's trouble, the tribulation. Jeremiah 30:7

24:13 But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved.

It is Israel that will be saved. Israel must endure til the end of the tribulation, but will be delivered out of it by the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ.

24:14 And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come.

The gospel of the kingdom is preached. The gospel of the coming Davidic kingdom on earth promised Israel.

24:21 For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.

24:22 And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.

The elect is Israel.

24:29 Immediately after the tribulation of those days shall the sun be darkened, and the moon shall not give her light, and the stars shall fall from heaven, and the powers of the heavens shall be shaken:

This is the Day of the Lord. This is the great day of God's wrath, and the hope of Israel, that follows right after the tribulation. Isaiah 13:9-10 Joel 3:14-15

24:30 And then shall appear the sign of the Son of man in heaven: and then shall all the tribes of the earth mourn, and they shall see the Son of man coming in the clouds of heaven with power and great glory.

24:31 And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other.

Believing Israel is the gathered elect.

24:34 Verily I say unto you, This generation shall not pass, till all these things be fulfilled.

Jesus was not speaking of the generation present at this time, but rather, the future generation at the end.

24:40 Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

24:41 Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.

One taken, the other left is not the "rapture" of the church, but rather, the coming of the Lord Jesus Christ when His enemies will be slain. Revelation 19:19-21 Luke 17:35-37 Matthew 24:28

24:42 Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come.

24:44 Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh.
Israel was to be vigilant, in watching for, and being prepared for the Lord's coming.

24:45 Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due season?

24:46 Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall find so doing.

24:47 Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler over all his goods.

The little flock of Israel, the believing remnant, will be given positions of authority in the kingdom on earth during the thousand year reign of Christ. Luke 19:17 Revelation 5:10 Revelation 20:4

24:48 But and if that evil servant shall say in his heart, My lord delayeth his coming;

24:49 And shall begin to smite his fellowservants, and to eat and drink with the drunken;

24:50 The lord of that servant shall come in a day when he looketh not for him, and in an hour that he is not aware of,

24:51 And shall cut him asunder, and appoint him his portion with the hypocrites: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

The unprofitable servant will not enter the kingdom. That servant will be assigned to outer darkness, among the hypocrites. These servants however, are not going to hell. Luke 13:28 Matthew 13:41-42

You skipped completely over the most important passage in this chapter, the release of Satan, in Mat 24.15.

Apple7

Then why did Peter write this about Satan After the Cross?:

"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour" (1 Pet.5:8).​

νηψατε γρηγορησατε ο αντιδικος υμων διαβολος ως λεων ωρυομενος περιπατει ζητων καταπιειν

nēpsate grēgorēsate ho antidikos hymōn diabolos hōs leōn ōryomenos peripatei zētōn tina katapiein

Be sober-minded, watch, the adversary devil of you walks about in the same manner as a roaring lion seeking whom to devour;

This passage does not refer to ‘The Devil’ himself, for several reasons:

• ‘Diabolos’ is anarthrous (i.e. it lacks a preceding Greek definite article). Thus, rather than referring to ‘The Devil’ it refers to ‘A devil’, a demon – of which, the NT often refers to demons as devils.

• ‘Ho antidikos’ (the adversary) is used in only one other NT passage, Mat 5.25, and is in the context of being thrown into prison.

• The key word ‘hōs’ literally means ‘in the same manner as’, and is used to describe demons in Revelation, ‘in the same manner as’ a lion (Rev 9.8).

• This passage does not pertain to 'The Devil"....but 'A devil'...i.e. a demon...

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber

νηψατε γρηγορησατε ο αντιδικος υμων διαβολος ως λεων ωρυομενος περιπατει ζητων καταπιειν

nēpsate grēgorēsate ho antidikos hymōn diabolos hōs leōn ōryomenos peripatei zētōn tina katapiein

Be sober-minded, watch, the adversary devil of you walks about in the same manner as a roaring lion seeking whom to devour;

• ‘Diabolos’ is anarthrous (i.e. it lacks a preceding Greek definite article). Thus, rather than referring to ‘The Devil’ it refers to ‘A devil’, a demon – of which, the NT often refers to demons as devils.

• ‘Ho antidikos’ (the adversary) is used in only one other NT passage, Mat 5.25, and is in the context of being thrown into prison.

• The key word ‘hōs’ literally means ‘in the same manner as’, and is used to describe demons in Revelation, ‘in the same manner as’ a lion (Rev 9.8).

• This passage does not pertain to 'The Devil"....but 'A devil'...i.e. a demon...

Thanks for this explanation.

It is to be noted that, even if we take the binding as of the devil himself, the binding is said to be in one respect specifically. It is in respect to "deceiving the nations".

Rev 20:2-3KJV

Prior to the crucifixion, the truth was shut up within the Jewish nation. The Gospel was freed to go to all nations and tribes and peoples once the Christian church appeared.

Apple7

Thanks for this explanation.

It is to be noted that, even if we take the binding as of the devil himself, the binding is said to be in one respect specifically. It is in respect to "deceiving the nations".

Rev 20:2-3KJV

Prior to the crucifixion, the truth was shut up within the Jewish nation. The Gospel was freed to go to all nations and tribes and peoples once the Christian church appeared.

There are legions of passages declaring that Satan was bound at The Cross....and not all of them are in relation to the nations.... :)

Jerry Shugart

What about this verse?:

"And no marvel; for Satan himself is transformed into an angel of light"
(2 Cor.11:14).​

The Greek word translated "is transformed" is in the present tense.

And what about Paul's words here:

"Wherefore we would have come unto you, even I Paul, once and again; but Satan hindered us"
(1 Thess.2:18).​

DougE

With respect...this does not answer the question.

What is the difference?

Hi
What difference?

Israel believed the gospel given them at that time.

We Christians today believe Paul's gospel in this dispensation 1 Corinthians 15:1-4

Both are saved by faith in Christ.

DougE

So you think that the Lord Jesus' disciples asked about what would happen at the end of the world. Here is what He said in answer to that question:

"When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory" (Mt.25:31).​

Do you think that the Lord Jesus was referring to sitting on His throne at the end of the world?

I think that He was speaking of sitting on His throne in the earthly kingdom where He will reign on the earth:

"Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper, and shall execute judgment and justice in the earth"
(Jer.23:5).​

Hello

I am not sure of what you are getting at, but the disciples phrased their question in parts, one of which was what would be the sign of his coming.

DougE

The KJV is fine ... but use a concordance with it so you can look at greek and hebrew word meanings.

This is a fairly useful site to look quickly at various translations, concordances etc.

www.biblehub.com

God Bless.

Hi

Hey thanks.... Blue Letter Bible has a good concordance system and Bible searches as well. Look under tools to the left of a verse.

I was saying in regard to translations I only use KJV ....this is because of missing verses and manuscript considerations.

Jerry Shugart

I am not sure of what you are getting at, but the disciples phrased their question in parts, one of which was what would be the sign of his coming.

The other question they asked was in regard to the "end of the age." Not the "end of the world."

The Lord spoke about the events which will end the age in which He was then living and then spoke of the age to come, the kingdom age:

Do you think that it will be the "end of the world" when the Lord Jesus returns to the earth and begins to sit upon His throne?