Favorite Bible version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Bible version

One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures. Now, I would prefer it if this post doesn't become an argument about the King James Version vs. all other versions. I will share my "Top 5" English versions below, but I'd love to hear from others about their favorite Bible versions, or whichever version they use the most. Here are mine, in no particular order of importance:

King James Version (KJV)
    New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
    Good News Bible (GNB)
    Today's New International Version (TNIV)

Mod edit--please use only the forum default font. Your 'impact' font locked up your thread and it had to be repaired from the Admin CP.

New King James
    Wescott-Hort
    Mounce
    And a Hebrew/English and Greek/English interlinear app.

Comment

I also had to get rid of the ) and the ? in the thread title to get this thread to work. Please use only letters in thread titles.

Comment

Thanks Sherman

KJV for me

Comment

ESV is the closest to the Greek and Hebrew.
          NLT is the easiest to read while staying closest to the meaning.

Comment

Greetings caspianrex,
            Originally posted by caspianrex View Post
            One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures.
            I prefer reading from the King James Version, but also like reading from an Interlinear RV/KJV as it immediately highlights the changes and some improvements and yet can be read smoothly, without interruption. I also like using other translations for reference such as the NASB, ESV, NIV and Rotherham’s. Sometimes when someone is reading the KJV aloud, I will read the same chapter in an NASB Study Bible. When in my Bible program, it allows a quick lookup of a large number of translations for a particular verse for quick comparison.

Kind regards
            Trevor

Comment

My top 3...

NLV
              NIV
              WYC

Comment

Favorite Translation: New King James

Favorite Study Bible: The Companion Bible

I grew up with Oxford NIV Scofield Study Bible and so I have to give that an honorable mention.
                sigpic
                "The [open view] is an attempt to provide a more Biblically faithful, rationally coherent, and practically satisfying account of God and the divine-human relationship..." - Dr. John Sanders

Comment

NASB
                  He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.

Jim Elliot

Comment

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
                    New King James Version (NKJV)
                    King James Version (KJV)
                    New International Version (NIV)
                    My Chumash and other Jewish translations that do not have a translation name.

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Raven View Post
                      NASB
                      All the NASB or do you have a reason or a verse for which you hold to the NASB?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                        All the NASB or do you have a reason or a verse for which you hold to the NASB?
                        I believe it is one of the most literal versions.

Jim Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by Bright Raven View Post
                          I believe it is one of the most literal versions.
                          What do you mean by saying the most literal versions?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                            What do you mean by saying the most literal versions?
                            closest to the original.

Jim Elliot

Comment

Originally posted by caspianrex View Post
                              One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures. Now, I would prefer it if this post doesn't become an argument about the King James Version vs. all other versions. I will share my "Top 5" English versions below, but I'd love to hear from others about their favorite Bible versions, or whichever version they use the most. Here are mine, in no particular order of importance:

King James Version (KJV)
                              New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
                              Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
                              Good News Bible (GNB)
                              Today's New International Version (TNIV)

Mod edit--please use only the forum default font. Your 'impact' font locked up your thread and it had to be repaired from the Admin CP.
                              I don't have any reason to not prefer the KJV /AV, since it's been a standard English version for centuries, and isn't copyright protected outside of the UK afaik either. Also it's not a 'Catholic' version, so non-Catholics consider it valid, and will bother to read KJV scriptures, and won't read 'Catholic' versions of the same scriptures so readily. So my preference is the whole KJV, including the whole Old Testament /Septuagint (which includes the 'apocrypha,' which all together is what the earliest Church considered to be the Old Testament, and on right up to the Reformation).
                              Last edited by Idolater; March 14th, 2019, 10:17 PM. Reason: add "all together"
                              "Those who believe in Christ" are all the Christians, Catholic or not.

@Nee_Nihilo

Comment

Working...
                              X