Favorite Bible version

caspianrex

One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures. Now, I would prefer it if this post doesn't become an argument about the King James Version vs. all other versions. I will share my "Top 5" English versions below, but I'd love to hear from others about their favorite Bible versions, or whichever version they use the most. Here are mine, in no particular order of importance:

King James Version (KJV)
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Good News Bible (GNB)
Today's New International Version (TNIV)

Mod edit--please use only the forum default font. Your 'impact' font locked up your thread and it had to be repaired from the Admin CP.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
New King James
Wescott-Hort
Mounce
And a Hebrew/English and Greek/English interlinear app.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also had to get rid of the ) and the ? in the thread title to get this thread to work. Please use only letters in thread titles.

TrevorL

Greetings caspianrex,
One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures.
I prefer reading from the King James Version, but also like reading from an Interlinear RV/KJV as it immediately highlights the changes and some improvements and yet can be read smoothly, without interruption. I also like using other translations for reference such as the NASB, ESV, NIV and Rotherham’s. Sometimes when someone is reading the KJV aloud, I will read the same chapter in an NASB Study Bible. When in my Bible program, it allows a quick lookup of a large number of translations for a particular verse for quick comparison.

Kind regards
Trevor

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Favorite Translation: New King James

Favorite Study Bible: The Companion Bible

I grew up with Oxford NIV Scofield Study Bible and so I have to give that an honorable mention.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
New American Standard Bible (NASB)
New King James Version (NKJV)
King James Version (KJV)
New International Version (NIV)
My Chumash and other Jewish translations that do not have a translation name.

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
One topic that has long been a passion of mine is the subject of Bible versions: specifically, English translations of the Holy Scriptures. Now, I would prefer it if this post doesn't become an argument about the King James Version vs. all other versions. I will share my "Top 5" English versions below, but I'd love to hear from others about their favorite Bible versions, or whichever version they use the most. Here are mine, in no particular order of importance:

King James Version (KJV)
New Revised Standard Version (NRSV)
Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
Good News Bible (GNB)
Today's New International Version (TNIV)

Mod edit--please use only the forum default font. Your 'impact' font locked up your thread and it had to be repaired from the Admin CP.
I don't have any reason to not prefer the KJV /AV, since it's been a standard English version for centuries, and isn't copyright protected outside of the UK afaik either. Also it's not a 'Catholic' version, so non-Catholics consider it valid, and will bother to read KJV scriptures, and won't read 'Catholic' versions of the same scriptures so readily. So my preference is the whole KJV, including the whole Old Testament /Septuagint (which includes the 'apocrypha,' which all together is what the earliest Church considered to be the Old Testament, and on right up to the Reformation).

Last edited:

Wolguar

The King James Version and while this might be controversial to some the Joseph Smith Translation, but he did not complete it so that's why I tend to read mostly the King James Version.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
The King James Version and while this might be controversial to some the Joseph Smith Translation, but he did not complete it so that's why I tend to read mostly the King James Version.
Mormons use the KJV.

Wolguar

Mormons use the KJV.
Fun fact: The church of Jesus Christ use the kjv because it provides a good common ground with other Christian religions and Joseph Smith didn't finish the translated book. Just some tid bits of info.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Literal usually refers to how true the words are, and possibly if it is word for word.

The word literal means "as written, genuine, real" and has little to do with a subjective evaluation of how true the words are.
Like many words in English, if we use them wrongly often enough, a new meaning eventually becomes popular. But the number one antonym for literal is actually "counterfeit".

The reason this is important is because some find a false dichotomy in Christianity; those who interpret spiritually and those who interpret literally. This is a misuse of the word literal and is responsible for all kinds of needless misunderstandings. The opposite of spiritual is physical.

Often it is misused as a synonym for "that which is physical as opposed to spiritual" which it is not. There are many literal truths which are also spiritual.

Close synonyms to literal are: word-for-word, accurate, real.
When BR interchanges "literal" with "closest to the original" he is using the meaning correctly.