Favorite Bible version

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Actually, not true; I am a KJV guy. The only thing I am not is a KJV ONLY guy.
Yeah, that's what I said, only without the capital letters.

These people believe that the KJV is inspired. I do not because I don't believe that any version, not even the original autographs are inspired.

What I have settled on, however, is that the KJV is, demonstrably the Word of God to English speaking people.
I often refer to other versions to get perspective and to deepen my understanding of a passage but I view them as commentaries and not serious translations.
Wow! That's basically KJV onlyism, right? Not rabidly so, but still pretty much KJV only.

I took great interest all along the line with the Battle Royalle KJV. I followed it nearly every day.
The comments are on this thread: http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?113638-Battle-Royale-XIV-discussion-thread
The thing I learned more than anything else was how sneaky and underhanded Bob Enyart is.
As you get into it you may see what I am talking about.

Although I don't go quite as far as Will Kenny, I appreciated everything he said.
I think he was also careful not to call the KJV inspired, but I forget now.
Bob Enyart is the single most intellectually honest person I have ever met. He is honest to the point of near self-destruction and he is anything but underhanded. When he says, "Do right and risk the consequences." he means it and leads by example.

I am not related to Bob Enyart at all but you may as well have insulted by brother. I owe that man more than I could ever repay in at thousand lifetimes. You have no call or reason to say such things about a man who loves God with literally every fiber of his being and has more bible knowledge in his little finger than most will ever have.

The only people I've ever seen say such things are those who have heard (or read) his arguments and have no response to his argument and no ability to rebut a single point but just simply don't want to be convinced and so cast dispersion upon the man making the arguments.

Never once have I discovered an exception. I'm going to read your comments on that thread you linked to and we'll see if you're an exception to this general rule. If, however, you're not an exception, you'll find yourself permanently on my ignore list (as it seems the whole of TOL will be eventually).

Clete

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Yeah, that's what I said, only without the capital letters.

Wow! That's basically KJV onlyism, right? Not rabidly so, but still pretty much KJV only.

Bob Enyart is the single most intellectually honest person I have ever met. He is honest to the point of near self-destruction and he is anything but underhanded. When he says, "Do right and risk the consequences." he means it and leads by example.

I am not related to Bob Enyart at all but you may as well have insulted by brother. I owe that man more than I could ever repay in at thousand lifetimes. You have no call or reason to say such things about a man who loves God with literally every fiber of his being and has more bible knowledge in his little finger than most will ever have.

The only people I've ever seen say such things are those who have heard (or read) his arguments and have no response to his argument and no ability to rebut a single point but just simply don't want to be convinced and so cast dispersion upon the man making the arguments.

Never once have I discovered an exception. I'm going to read your comments on that thread you linked to and we'll see if you're an exception to this general rule. If, however, you're not an exception, you'll find yourself permanently on my ignore list (as it seems the whole of TOL will be eventually).

Clete

If you are looking for what I am talking about, it is at the beginning of post 18 of the KJVO Battle Royale thread.

Instead of advancing real reasons why the KJV cannot be inspired, he begins with a smear campaign attempting to tie his opponent to Ruckman by association. He knows that he is appealing to people who will back him with their emotions instead of facts and logic. I abhor this kind of underhandedness. Guilt by association does not sit very well with me. Enyart lost all credibility for me right at this point.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
If you are looking for what I am talking about, it is at the beginning of post 18 of the KJVO Battle Royale thread.

Instead of advancing real reasons why the KJV cannot be inspired, he begins with a smear campaign attempting to tie his opponent to Ruckman by association. He knows that he is appealing to people who will back him with their emotions instead of facts and logic. I abhor this kind of underhandedness. Guilt by association does not sit very well with me. Enyart lost all credibility for me right at this point.

I don't believe you. This is an excuse!

Bob made no such guilt by association as you suggest between the two at all. The connection Bob makes has to do with the flatly stupid idea that God's commandments are somehow contingent upon the vagrancies of various human legal codes. Bringing up Ruckman had to do with demonstrating where that line of thinking leads, which Bob states quite clearly when he says, "This attempt to prop up the KJV and provide cover for Ruckman’s sin is upended by realizing that God’s commandments are His commandments and the meaning doesn’t change a whit regardless of how governments or cultures change." An excellent and irrefutable point, by the way.

You're fishing for reasons to reject Bob's arguments. In fact, what's more likely is that you stopped reading any of his argument after you discovered this excuse. Not that reading any further was necessary, Bob had proven his case before his opening post was finished.

One thing's for certain, if discernment was dynamite, you couldn't blow the fuzz off of a peach.