What IS an "immaterial spirit"?

ttruscott

Wow, there must be a lot of wicked people and none righteous.

John 3:12-13 KJV (13) And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

First: please remember: "which is in heaven" is to be taken out, as it does not appear in most manuscripts and seems to be a gloss, that is, a word or phrase of interpretation that is written in the margin but is accidentally or purposely moved into the text into later copies.

Second: And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man. EVEN, [except] or [whatever else someone might write into here] is in italics because it is NOT in the text but is supplied to help our interpretation and our understanding, that is, to further the orthodox 'created on earth' theology, falling under the meaning of a gloss, without such identifiers. [ Your version does not seem to conform to the norm to put added in words into some form of identifier that they are theological inserts by use of italics or [ ]s.] We have here the clear declaration that "no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven."

But since they prove to me that interpretations of a verse can be helped along by adding words, let me suggest some of my own, just as legitimate: just like, along with, the same as etc etc. (Note the use of Italics, eh?)

Are you prepared to accept that no one has ever gone to heaven except Jesus? Are we supposed to believe that everyone goes somewhere else? And what about Paul? Considering what is commonly termed Paul's ascent into heaven in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4: I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) How that he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter (on Earth).

Was he deluded? If we believe that some people go into heaven, then, it seems that, according to this verse as it so plainly reads, we must also accept that that is where those persons came from at some time or another.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto you, Today shall you be with me in paradise. Where was the thief going to be 'today'?
Strong's G3772 - ouranos heaven
Strong's G3857 - paradeisos paradise

Outline of Biblical Usage
1)N/A
2) a garden, pleasure ground
a) grove, park
3) the part of Hades which was thought by the later Jews to be the abode of the souls of pious until the resurrection: but some understand this to be a heavenly paradise
4) the upper regions of the heavens. According to the early church Fathers, the paradise in which our first parents dwelt before the fall still exists, neither on the earth or in the heavens, but above and beyond the world
5) heaven

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto you, Today shall you be with me in paradise. Since John knew about this, perhaps he meant something else than it appears on the surface? At least one went up, if you don't like Paul going up, which I do... But the thief could only go up if he first came down, right? <shrug> Sure, this can mean a number of things but it can also mean the thief was in [someplace] with GOD before he came to earth and went back there while the wicked return to Sheol on their death.

Last edited:

genuineoriginal

Why do you think this?

An "immaterial spirit" is unimportant and not relevant by definition:

immaterial
1. unimportant under the circumstances; irrelevant.

Anything else would be redundant, i.e. a spiritual spirit.

immaterial
2. spiritual, rather than physical.

Aimiel

It seems that you're missing the meaning of the word "immaterial." This present world around us that we manipulate, that has mass and is subject to forces, that is the definition of material. Normally we see and hear and touch but we acknowledge that some things we do not see (easily) like air, some things may be quiet or make sounds on different frequencies, some things may not be easily detected by touch, but the common factor is that they are all subject to those physical laws, they are material. Even air can be condensed or frozen.

If you are saying that "spirits are material and we are immaterial" then you've made nonsense of the language. The question wasn't whether spirit existed, the question was whether spirit was material. If one passes through the other, then spirit is immaterial to our world.
I believe that you've hit on a Catch 22. Yes: spirit is 'immaterial' in our world. We are beneath spirit, operating in the temporal realm. Spirit, being more real than the physical, temporal realm we live in isn't comprehended by our finite non-spirit being, other than what we experience through our spirit. This is the reason that Paul described what he saw when he got to visit Heaven: he couldn't tell if he was in his body or out of his body (simply because he knew that he was merely a visitor in Heaven for a few moments and had an appointment to return to his life here) and he felt like the exact same person that he was while on earth but he knew that he was in a higher plane of existence. Having been there, I can tell you that this is something that you simply understand, yet cannot put into words because words simply cannot begin to describe what you saw and most of what is seen doesn't even fit into a finite body. It doesn't make nonsense of the language, it merely dwarfs this limited physical, temporal realm by so much that nothing that we know or understand can begin to measure or accurately describe the things of spirit.

Rosenritter

First: please remember: "which is in heaven" is to be taken out, as it does not appear in most manuscripts and seems to be a gloss, that is, a word or phrase of interpretation that is written in the margin but is accidentally or purposely moved into the text into later copies.

That argument isn't going to gain ground. If you want to discuss the validity of source texts that can be done on its own time. I have no reason to suspect the King James text, it has been tested plenty of times before this and challenges are always found wanting.

Second: And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man. EVEN, [except] or [whatever else someone might write into here] is in italics because it is NOT in the text but is supplied to help our interpretation and our understanding, that is, to further the orthodox 'created on earth' theology, falling under the meaning of a gloss, without such identifiers. [ Your version does not seem to conform to the norm to put added in words into some form of identifier that they are theological inserts by use of italics or [ ]s.] We have here the clear declaration that "no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven."
"My version" is the traditional authorized version. Nothing unusual or obscure here.... but it has read that way since the days of Wycliffe and Tyndale as well.

John 3:13 Tyndale (from the Greek, Modern English, sixteenth century)
(13) And no man ascendeth vp to heaven but he that came doune from heaven that is to saye the sonne of man which is in heaven.

John 3:13 Wycliffe (from the Latin, Middle English, fourteenth century)
13 And no man stieth in to heuene, but he that cam doun fro heuene, mannys sone that is in heuene.

But since they prove to me that interpretations of a verse can be helped along by adding words, let me suggest some of my own, just as legitimate: just like, along with, the same as etc etc. (Note the use of Italics, eh?)

I am not generally persuaded by arguments that start with omitting part of the scripture and adding other words to change the meaning. I'll try to follow your reasoning as best as I can but I'm sticking with the inspired text.

Are you prepared to accept that no one has ever gone to heaven except Jesus?

Yes.

Are we supposed to believe that everyone goes somewhere else?

Yes. We are told that there is no man that lives that does not die, and that he cannot deliver his soul from the grave, and man and beast both die. It's a consistent theme of scripture, that unless we have a resurrection from death, that we are without hope, and of all men most miserable...

So, yes, we are supposed to believe the scripture, and believe that everyone goes somewhere else. It's called death, the grave, hell, also written in Hebrew as sheol and the Greek as hades.

And what about Paul? Considering what is commonly termed Paul's ascent into heaven in 2 Corinthians 12:2-4: I knew a man in Christ above fourteen years ago, (whether in the body, I cannot tell; or whether out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) such an one caught up to the third heaven. And I know such a man, (whether in the body, or out of the body, I cannot tell: God knoweth) How that he was caught up into Paradise, and heard unspeakable words, which it is not lawful for a man to utter (on Earth).

Was he deluded? If we believe that some people go into heaven, then, it seems that, according to this verse as it so plainly reads, we must also accept that that is where those persons came from at some time or another.

I remember Paul specifically saying that he was speaking of visions of the Lord. Mind if I look that up for a moment?

2 Corinthians 12:1 KJV
(1) It is not expedient for me doubtless to glory. I will come to visions and revelations of the Lord.

A vision of the Lord in heaven is different than ascending to heaven. Paul wouldn't have been the first to have had a vision of heaven. There's a vision in 1 Kings 22 and 2 Chronicles 18, for example.

1 Kings 22:19 KJV
(19) And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left.

More examples easily found enough, but point being that a vision of heaven is not ascending to heaven and not existing in heaven.

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto you, Today shall you be with me in paradise.
Where was the thief going to be 'today'?

The grave. Death. Hell. The common abode of the dead. Just like Jesus was entering into for the next three days, and confirmed as on the first day of the week he tells Mary that he had not yet ascended to his Father.

John 20:17 KJV
(17) Jesus saith unto her, Touch me not; for I am not yet ascended to my Father: but go to my brethren, and say unto them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father; and to my God, and your God.

May I assume that you recognize that "Father" means "our Father which art in heaven" thus indicated by the word "ascended?"

I don't want to put words into your mouth, but it sounds as if you are reading that passage as if it said, "Verily, Today you will be with me in Paradise" rather than "Verily, to day shalt thou be with me in paradise." "Today you will" would mean that the fulfillment would occur that day, which is no doubt how you are reading it, but "today shalt" means that the promise is made that day, regardless of the time of fulfillment.

1 Samuel 18:21 KJV
(21) And Saul said, I will give him her, that she may be a snare to him, and that the hand of the Philistines may be against him. Wherefore Saul said to David, Thou shalt this day be my son in law in the one of the twain.

Where was David that day? Read what follows when they agree to follow Saul's plan. Besides the negotiations back and forth using servants as messengers, David travels and fights at least two hundred enemy soldiers and brings their foreskins back in a cloth as a present.... and "the days were not expired" it says. Where was David that day then? Not as Saul's son in law, that's for sure.

There are several other instances of this same pattern of speech "To day shalt" that prove the application. Or if you prefer "The King's English" (a standard publication for English grammar) also explains the difference.

Spoiler
Strong's G3772 - ouranos heaven
Strong's G3857 - paradeisos paradise

Outline of Biblical Usage
1)N/A
2) a garden, pleasure ground
a) grove, park
3) the part of Hades which was thought by the later Jews to be the abode of the souls of pious until the resurrection: but some understand this to be a heavenly paradise
4) the upper regions of the heavens. According to the early church Fathers, the paradise in which our first parents dwelt before the fall still exists, neither on the earth or in the heavens, but above and beyond the world
5) heaven

Luke 23:43 And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto you, Today shall you be with me in paradise. Since John knew about this, perhaps he meant something else than it appears on the surface? At least one went up, if you don't like Paul going up, which I do... But the thief could only go up if he first came down, right? <shrug> Sure, this can mean a number of things but it can also mean the thief was in [someplace] with GOD before he came to earth and went back there while the wicked return to Sheol on their death.

You're drawing an awful lot of conclusions based on a misreading of the grammar of the traditional text. The "today you will be with me" reading came about only recently in the last hundred years or so. "Today shalt" has been the English reading for as long as we have had the scriptures in English (for the last six hundred years.) You can probably find one of those recent translations and show that, and then I would show you why the traditional translation ("to day shalt thou be with me in Paradise") is correct from other scripture.

The hope of the Christian is in the resurrection from the dead, not in "ascending to heaven" upon death, which would make the resurrection completely unnecessary. I don't find it hard to believe scripture when it tells us "no man has ascended to heaven." That's what it says, it's fairly simple to believe that is what it means.

Rosenritter

I believe that you've hit on a Catch 22. Yes: spirit is 'immaterial' in our world. We are beneath spirit, operating in the temporal realm. Spirit, being more real than the physical, temporal realm we live in isn't comprehended by our finite non-spirit being, other than what we experience through our spirit. This is the reason that Paul described what he saw when he got to visit Heaven: he couldn't tell if he was in his body or out of his body (simply because he knew that he was merely a visitor in Heaven for a few moments and had an appointment to return to his life here) and he felt like the exact same person that he was while on earth but he knew that he was in a higher plane of existence. Having been there, I can tell you that this is something that you simply understand, yet cannot put into words because words simply cannot begin to describe what you saw and most of what is seen doesn't even fit into a finite body. It doesn't make nonsense of the language, it merely dwarfs this limited physical, temporal realm by so much that nothing that we know or understand can begin to measure or accurately describe the things of spirit.

This has nothing to do with whether spirit is real, it's about whether spirit is material. Spirit is immaterial by definition, that's what the word means. You can declare that spirit is real and true and all of that and I won't stop you or voice disagreement, but we're talking about basic word meaning here.

Physical = material
Air, gas .... not usually called material, but we can let that pass. We can measure it and trap it and even freeze it.
Spirit = not material

Again, I emphasize, this is not the word "real" but the word "material" being used here. Google definition, "material definition" tells us:

adjective
1. denoting or consisting of physical objects rather than the mind or spirit. "the material world"
synonyms: physical, corporeal, tangible, nonspiritual, mundane, worldly, earthly, temporal, concrete, real, solid, substantial, secular, lay; rare sublunary "the material rather than the spiritual world"

Dartman

An "immaterial spirit" is unimportant and not relevant by definition:

immaterial
1. unimportant under the circumstances; irrelevant.

Anything else would be redundant, i.e. a spiritual spirit.

immaterial
2. spiritual, rather than physical.

So, you don't believe there are material spirits?
And, you believe ANYTHING that is "immaterial" is a spirit?

way 2 go

I am a material spirit, and so are you. EVERY human being is a material spirit.... even false prophets;

1 John 4:1-3 Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you heard was coming and now is in the world already.

the words you have written or spoken are immaterial but are information .

and we are to test the information we receive for truthfulness .

Aimiel

This has nothing to do with whether spirit is real, it's about whether spirit is material. Spirit is immaterial by definition, that's what the word means.
We are given what we are given. God has withheld His Mystery and until He decides to release it, there will be things that we don't know or understand. Suffice it to say: spirit is immaterial (from our viewpoint) and will be until that which is temporal is done away with.

But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

Rosenritter

We are given what we are given. God has withheld His Mystery and until He decides to release it, there will be things that we don't know or understand. Suffice it to say: spirit is immaterial (from our viewpoint) and will be until that which is temporal is done away with.

But in the days of the voice of the seventh angel, when he shall begin to sound, the mystery of God should be finished, as he hath declared to his servants the prophets.

But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.

No disagreement here.

ttruscott

I'll try to follow your reasoning as best as I can but I'm sticking with the inspired text.

You do know that what you accept as the inspired text has been INTERPRETED by the theology of the translators and then REINTERPRETED for you by the theological doctrine of your church. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding ...about the meaning of scripture...

Dartman

the words you have written or spoken are immaterial but are information .
True, words are not material, nor are ideas. But both require material components. You can't hear in space. You can't speak without a larynx. You can get a mechanical larynx, but that's still material. You can't think if your brain is removed. You can't think if you get hit hard enough to lose consciousness, are sound asleep, or are deeply anesthetized. So words don''t happen without matter. Information isn't stored, or conveyed without matter.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
True, words are not material, nor are ideas.

Oh, so you admit that words and ideas are immaterial. But, you deny that spirits are immaterial. Oh, yeah, you're surely cooking on all four burners....

But both require material components.

Something isn't immaterial unless it has one or more material component(s)? Really?
So, you admit that a word is immaterial, but then you claim that it is only immaterial insofar as it consists of one or more material component(s)?

You can't hear in space.

Did the Bible tell you that?

I can hear, and I am in America. Since America is part of Earth, and Earth is in space, I'm in space. I can hear in space. Can you not hear?

You can't speak without a larynx.

But, what do you mean, here, by "speak", if not merely "operate a larynx"? All you've said, here, is that "you can't [operate a larynx] without a larynx." Brilliant!

You can't think if your brain is removed.

You can't think if your brain is removed from what? From you? Are you saying that "you can't think if your brain is removed [from you]"?

When you say, "You can't think if your brain is removed", to what are you referring by the pronoun 'you'? Obviously, you are not referring to your brain, since that's been removed. So, what would you say is the residual, brainless "you" that can't think? Clearly, you admit that the "you" is one thing, and that the brain is another thing. And, if you can't think if your brain is removed, what about your brain? Can it think if it is removed?

You can't think if you get hit hard enough to lose consciousness, are sound asleep, or are deeply anesthetized.

Oh, so it follows that, if you get knocked out, fall asleep, etc., you cease to be immaterial? Is that it?

So words don''t happen without matter.

What (if anything) would you say it is for a word to happen?
Give a detailed explanation of exactly what you think it is for a word to happen.

Information isn't stored, or conveyed without matter.

As usual, you're blaspheming God, for, now, you are affirming that God is dependent on matter if He would store or convey information.

Dartman

Oh, so you admit that words and ideas are immaterial. But, you deny that spirits are immaterial.
Correct.

7djengo7 said:
Something isn't immaterial unless it has one or more material component(s)? Really?
No.
Your statement doesn't resemble my statements.
I said ideas and words are dependent on material things.
7djengo7 said:
So, you admit that a word is immaterial, but then you claim that it is only immaterial insofar as it consists of one or more material component(s)?
No.

7djengo7 said:
You can't think if your brain is removed from what? From you? Are you saying that "you can't think if your brain is removed [from you]"?
Of course, you will die, and there are no thoughts in the grave.

Ps 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; in that very day his thoughts perish.

Eccl 9:5 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Eccl 9:10 Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

Dead is like sleep, resurrection FROM the dead is like waking up;
John 11:11-14 These things said he: and after that he saith unto them, Our friend Lazarus sleepeth; but I go, that I may awake him out of sleep.
12 Then said his disciples, Lord, if he sleep, he shall do well. 13 Howbeit Jesus spake of his death: but they thought that he had spoken of taking of rest in sleep. 14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead.

7djengo7 said:
Oh, so it follows that, if you get knocked out, fall asleep, etc., you cease to be immaterial? Is that it?
No.

Rosenritter

You do know that what you accept as the inspired text has been INTERPRETED by the theology of the translators and then REINTERPRETED for you by the theological doctrine of your church. Proverbs 3:5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding ...about the meaning of scripture...

Don't take it personally: there's more evidence to support that God was guiding Tyndale and those that continued his work than that he has given special revelation to any particular person here who suggests that we should add and delete words to create different meaning.

Rosenritter

True, words are not material, nor are ideas. But both require material components. You can't hear in space. You can't speak without a larynx. You can get a mechanical larynx, but that's still material. You can't think if your brain is removed. You can't think if you get hit hard enough to lose consciousness, are sound asleep, or are deeply anesthetized. So words don''t happen without matter. Information isn't stored, or conveyed without matter.

You can hit as many people with hammers in the brains as you like, and you aren't going to destroy a word. You will only prevent certain individuals from being able to comprehend any words at all.

Rosenritter

Oh, so you admit that words and ideas are immaterial. But, you deny that spirits are immaterial. Oh, yeah, you're surely cooking on all four burners....

Did the Bible tell you that?

I can hear, and I am in America. Since America is part of Earth, and Earth is in space, I'm in space. I can hear in space. Can you not hear?

Alien%252520movie%252520poster%25255B3%25255D.jpg

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I said ideas and words are dependent on material things.
On what material things would you say depends the truth that all triangles have three sides? And, how does the truth that all triangles have three sides depend on material things?

You stated that immaterial things "require material components". Would you say that the truth that all triangles have three sides "requires material components"? If so, for what does that truth "require material components"?

You had written, "You can't think if your brain is removed", and I asked you a question, which you have not answered, and you wrote this, instead:

Of course, you will die, and there are no thoughts in the grave.

I'll try asking the question, again:

You can't think if your brain is removed from what?