Are there any commandments in the new testament? If so, what are they?

clefty

Jesus mentioned only six of the 10 commandments.

These are the same commandments any of the world’s relgions would believe in:

You shall do no murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, honor your father and your mother and you shall love your neighbor as yourself....

You added love your neighbor and edited do not covet...

And we love as He loved us...not as pagans do...that love as He loved us fulfills the law

He mentioned only 6? Seriously?

So we are allowed to worship another god?
We are allowed to corrupt ourselves with making images and those into idols?
We are allowed to take His name in vain? Blashpeme Him misrepresent Him?

Acts 15 made 4 things required of the goyim wanting to fellowship with jew...3 of those where regarding dietary laws...can’t make a swine clean by not offering it to idols, can’t make swine meat clean by killing it kosher...caon’t make swine clean by draining it’s blood...

Do you imagine any of those crowding goyim fellowshipping with jews on the Sabbath felt “Oh we only have 4 requirements we are still allowed to kill steal lie covet dishonor parent worship pagan gods make idols as long as we don’t offer food to them on Sabbath potlucks...oh and blaspheme His name...” Seriously?

Your really think the crowding goyim thought they were free to do any of this while attending Sabbath services every Sabbath in every city to hear Moses preached and read?

Oh yeah James concluded the Jerusalem council with the expectation that Moses would STILL BE preached and read to them in every city on every Sabbath...

Which makes sense as Yahushua instructed prayers be said NOT that believers be RAPTURED from times of persecution or even survive times of persecutions but He instructed prayers be said that believers would not have to flee in the winter or on the Sabbath...see? Matt 24:20 BECAUSE FLEEING IS NOT RESTING...So obviously He expected winter times and Sabbath times to continue long into the further...long after His resurrection and ascension...

So I guess even Sabbath keeping remains for His people...

Explains Heb 4:9

All 10 commandments remain...AND MORE...food and festivals ARE shadows of good things to come...Col 2:14

See this bible is not an instruction book on HOW TO BE SAVED...it’s an owner’s manual to what you already received as a gift...and now own

We dont keep the laws...they keep us...closer to Him His ways...

Last edited:

Mixed_Brown

Ummmm...so we dont have to recognize He is One and there is no other...

We can make images and them into idols?
We can carry His name for nothing...in vain
We can dishonor our elders?
We can steal?
We can murder?
We can lie (obviously you think so)
We can covet?

The reason this council was held was that so many goyim were crowding the synagogues on the Sabbath that certain jews came to make the requirements for fellowship so hard the goyim would say “cut myself?...NO WAY” and leave...

but after determining that this “circumcision or else” was not even required in the OT of goyim living with them...only 4 things were recalled which were required of goyim “within their gates” (specifically written in the Sabbath command remember?)

and James concludes this Jerusalem Council expecting that the crowding goyim will continue hearing Moses continue to be preached and read in every city on every Sabbath...so Sabbath remains as well...

3 of the 4 dealt with dietary prohibitions...kosher laws...or do you suppose that swine was made ok to eat as long as it was not offered to idols first, or strangled, or full of blood...

But you claim only 4 things? So much for loving others exactly as He loved you...

Well that escalated quickly.

Jacob asked a question and I gave one example "off the top of my head" that answered it.

Never did I state that this is the 'only' commandment in the new treatment. Of course there are others.

I am also well aware of the background and context of the scripture I quoted.

I know this is a site where many people debate, but you really shouldn't be too quick to jump into an argument when all you are doing is attacking a straw man you have erected yourself.

Then you jump to the conclusion that I don't loove others based on assumptions you've made up.

Not very loving my friend. Instead of assuming what people believe and then attacking that, why not show some humility, ask first what they believe. Then listen to what they say and engage with that.

This is a much more productive way to have a discourse. Im sure you will find it a lot more beneficial.

I won't both answering your questions as the whole debate you are trying to start is just based on a completely false idea of what you 'think' I believe.

I hope you take this on board and any of future post are a bit more productive.

Have a good day.

clefty

The Ten Commandments are universal doctrines- they rest forever in Christ, serving as the basic morals for all men.

I've heard some heresy against this- people pretending that it's cut out from the New.

It's not.
I can'tbe more blunt about this; do not fall for that heresy. God certainly has and always will judge you on the Ten Commandments.

Indeed!

On this even the Roman Catholic Catechism makes abundantly clear:

“1956 The natural law, present in the heart of each man and established by reason, is universal in its precepts and its authority extends to all men. It expresses the dignity of the person and determines the basis for his fundamental rights and duties:

For there is a true law: right reason. It is in conformity with nature, is diffused among all men, and is immutable and eternal; its orders summon to duty; its prohibitions turn away from offense . . . . To replace it with a contrary law is a sacrilege; failure to apply even one of its provisions is forbidden; no one can abrogate it entirely.9”

Of course this is necessarily said as well:

“1957 Application of the natural law varies greatly; it can demand reflection that takes account of various conditions of life according to places, times, and circumstances. Nevertheless, in the diversity of cultures, the natural law remains as a rule that binds men among themselves and imposes on them, beyond the inevitable differences, common principles.” Ibid.

As during the time of the early church and writing the scriptures it was seventhday Sabbath keeping according to places and times and circumstances of the early church known as “the Way”...as found in scripture

However in other places and times and circumstances sunday keeping became MORE popular and eventually became the mark of authority of the church which outside of scripture changed Sabbath to Sunday as a sign of their lofty claim they have authority to change both times and law...by revelation and tradition outside of scripture...

“The Question Box,” The Catholic Universe Bulletin (August 14, 1942): 4:
The (Catholic) Church changed the observance of the Sabbath to Sunday by right of the divine, infallible authority given to her by her Founder, Jesus Christ. The Protestant claiming the Bible to be the only guide of faith, has no warrant for observing Sunday.”

“Chancellor Albert Smith for Cardinal of Baltimore Archdiocese, letter dated February 10, 1920:
If Protestants would follow the Bible, they should worship God on the Sabbath day by God is Saturday. In keeping the Sunday, they are following a law of the Catholic Church.”

“Stephen Keenan, Catholic—Doctrinal Catechism 3rd Edition: 174:
Question: Have you any other way of proving the Church has power to institute festivals of precept?

Answer: Had she not such power, she could not have done that in which all modern religionists agree with her, she could not have substituted the observance of Sunday the 1st day of the week, for the observance of Saturday the 7th day, a change for which there is no Scriptural authority.”

Yup the 10 commandments remain immutable and binding on ALL mankind...the application (DISPENSATIONS?) of them are considered changed...

That is what jews claimed Stephen and Paul taught that Yahushua would change the customs of Moses delivered to them...

Luke was clear that was jewish FALSE WITNESS from the synagogue of Satan...man his tradition seeks to change both times and law...

Paul was clear with establish law...His law not man’s traditions...

Peter too taught we rather follow Yah than the tradition’s of man...

clefty

Well that escalated quickly.
I typed slowly?

Jacob asked a question and I gave one example "off the top of my head" that answered it.
well from now on and hopefully when someone asks if there OT commandments in the NT...ALL of the ones that supposedly are written on your heart and mind will come to your mind and NOT “just one (4 in 1)”

Never did I state that this is the 'only' commandment in the new treatment. Of course there are others.
you said JUST...blame it on your mind if you must but the others did not not come to it...

I am also well aware of the background and context of the scripture I quoted.
if you are also so well aware then you would have said at least 2 commandments and the dietary laws...and NOT just ONE

And upon reflection of that question you would have included the rest delivered by Moses which is preached and read in every city on the Sabbaths...as James concluded

I know this is a site where many people debate, but you really shouldn't be too quick to jump into an argument when all you are doing is attacking a straw man you have erected yourself.
your no brained scare crow was erected first dismissing that more than just One was in the New Covenant He lived and taught us to DO and then sealed the contract...but you change what He taught and lived as a new contract with Him by claiming it contains JUST ONE expectation...

Then you jump to the conclusion that I don't loove others based on assumptions you've made up.
I didnt assume you didnt love...I assumed you dont think we are to love others just as He loved us...since you OMMITTED that from your JUST ONE list...

Not very loving my friend. Instead of assuming what people believe and then attacking that, why not show some humility, ask first what they believe. Then listen to what they say and engage with that.
read quite clearly your JUST ONE list...realized others did not come to your mind on which the others should be written and reminded them of you...

This is a much more productive way to have a discourse. Im sure you will find it a lot more beneficial.
if scripture and it’s teaching of what He lived and taught for us to do can’t imprint itself in your JUST ONE mind I highly doubt what I post will matter either...that is an assumption based on the evidence presented...not from your initial post but even in your second post here on this thread...

I won't both answering your questions as the whole debate you are trying to start is just based on a completely false idea of what you 'think' I believe.
and he takes his ball and goes home...

I hope you take this on board and any of future post are a bit more productive.

Have a good day.
I hope that next time you think about what it means to live Him His way you don’t claim JUST ONE...may you WANT to have more than JUST ONE come to your mind on which all His ways are written on...

Otherwise you’re baring false witness and mispresenting Him...not entering in yourself and preventing others from doing so...

oatmeal

Tongues is good even more so prophecy but what is true is that all of those born of the Spirit have at least one gift of the Spirit. Or we grow into one that can be identified.

The gift is the spirit.

When we use that spirit it is manifested in the senses realm

Hence, the nine profitable ways we can utilize that gift of spirit is called manifestation of the spirit, because as it is used it is revealed, manifested

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The gift is the spirit.

When we use that spirit it is manifested in the senses realm

Hence, the nine profitable ways we can utilize that gift of spirit is called manifestation of the spirit, because as it is used it is revealed, manifested

Rather, the Spirit of God is a gift and the fruit of the Spirit is different from the gifts of the Spirit.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Are there commandments that still are even if by virtue of not being of the Law of Moses? What of punishments? Do they originate in the Law of Moses?