Are there any commandments in the new testament? If so, what are they?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Do new testament commands include old testament commands? What are the commands that we find in the new testament?

Mixed_Brown

Do new testament commands include old testament commands? What are the commands that we find in the new testament?

Yes. Just one (4 in 1) off the top of my head.

Acts 15:28, 29: For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

Acts 15:28, 29: For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to you except these necessary things: 29 to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols, from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality. If you carefully keep yourselves from these things, you will prosper. Good health to you!”

These are very good, thank you.

clefty

Ummmm...so we dont have to recognize He is One and there is no other...

We can make images and them into idols?
We can carry His name for nothing...in vain
We can dishonor our elders?
We can steal?
We can murder?
We can lie (obviously you think so)
We can covet?

The reason this council was held was that so many goyim were crowding the synagogues on the Sabbath that certain jews came to make the requirements for fellowship so hard the goyim would say “cut myself?...NO WAY” and leave...

but after determining that this “circumcision or else” was not even required in the OT of goyim living with them...only 4 things were recalled which were required of goyim “within their gates” (specifically written in the Sabbath command remember?)

and James concludes this Jerusalem Council expecting that the crowding goyim will continue hearing Moses continue to be preached and read in every city on every Sabbath...so Sabbath remains as well...

3 of the 4 dealt with dietary prohibitions...kosher laws...or do you suppose that swine was made ok to eat as long as it was not offered to idols first, or strangled, or full of blood...

But you claim only 4 things? So much for loving others exactly as He loved you...

oatmeal

Commandments in the NT are indicated by the imperative mood.

One major passage that is a commandment is I Corinthians 14:1-36

We know this because of what verse 37 states

"37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

verses 1-36 are the commandments of the Lord and should thus be obeyed including 5a, I would that ye all speak with tongues.."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Commandments in the NT are indicated by the imperative mood.

One major passage that is a commandment is I Corinthians 14:1-36

We know this because of what verse 37 states

"37 If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord."

verses 1-36 are the commandments of the Lord and should thus be obeyed including 5a, I would that ye all speak with tongues.."
Interesting. Read what it says and don't read into it.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Jesus mentioned only six of the 10 commandments.

These are the same commandments any of the world’s relgions would believe in:

You shall do no murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, honor your father and your mother and you shall love your neighbor as yourself....

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Jesus mentioned only six of the 10 commandments.

These are the same commandments any of the world’s relgions would believe in:

You shall do no murder, you shall not commit adultery, you shall not steal, you shall not bear false witness, honor your father and your mother and you shall love your neighbor as yourself....
Five of these are of the Ten Commandments.

john w

Hall of Fame
Yes. One of them is:

"Thou shalt not post stupid threads, about every subject under the sun."

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Put “Three different versions of the 10 Commandments” in Google’s search window.

“Thou Shall Not Seethe a Kid in its Mother’s Milk."

Do you mean Exodus 20, Exodus 34, and Deuteronomy 5?

Why do you say
“Thou Shall Not Seethe a Kid in its Mother’s Milk."
?

Crucifer

BANNED
Banned
The Ten Commandments are universal doctrines- they rest forever in Christ, serving as the basic morals for all men.

I've heard some heresy against this- people pretending that it's cut out from the New.

It's not.
I can'tbe more blunt about this; do not fall for that heresy. God certainly has and always will judge you on the Ten Commandments.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
The Ten Commandments are universal doctrines- they rest forever in Christ, serving as the basic morals for all men.

I've heard some heresy against this- people pretending that it's cut out from the New.

It's not.
I can'tbe more blunt about this; do not fall for that heresy. God certainly has and always will judge you on the Ten Commandments.
Are there punishments for breaking or transgressing the Ten Commandments?