Jews And Gentiles Same Goal

Rosenritter

Actually, I would prefer that you weren't so bull headed and actually took the time to consider what I post.

You aren't the first poster that insists repentance is being sorry for sins. Nor are you the first poster to mix up scripture and think it's saying the same thing. If you ever even considered that repentance could be a change of mind about something besides sin, you'd be half way there.

You must not have been paying any attention to the discussion about "repentance" in the context of "God repented" during the last month.

Rosenritter

Nonsense, we've been over it countless times on this forum. As I said, you aren't the first poster that has suggested repentance is for sin.

Acts 3:19 KJV
(19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

My my, who would ever suspect that one should repent for their sins?

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
(19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

I said
Your right repentance is for sin. But I think this might be the problem with many that read the KJV bible.The KJV used the word repent when they should have said relent with God.

Relent-Change Your Mind Repent-Regret

[Mat 21:32 NKJV
[32] "For John came to you in the way of righteousness, and you did not believe him; but tax collectors and harlots believed him; and when you saw [it], you did not afterward relent and believe him.
[Heb 7:21 NKJV
[21] (for they have become priests without an oath, but He with an oath by Him who said to Him: "The LORD has sworn And will not relent, 'You [are] a priest forever According to the order of Melchizedek' "),

[Mat 21:32 KJV
[32] For John came unto you in the way of righteousness, and ye believed him not: but the publicans and the harlots believed him: and ye, when ye had seen [it], repented not afterward, that ye might believe him.
[Heb 7:21 KJV
[21] (For those priests were made without an oath; but this with an oath by him that said unto him, The Lord sware and will not repent, Thou [art] a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec:)

Old Testament

[Exo 32:14 NKJV]
[14] So the LORD relented from the harm which He said He would do to His people.
[2Sa 24:16 NKJV]
[16] And when the angel stretched out His hand over Jerusalem to destroy it, the LORD relented from the destruction, and said to the angel who was destroying the people, "It is enough; now restrain your hand." And the angel of the LORD was by the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.
[Psa 106:45 NKJV]
[45] And for their sake He remembered His covenant, And relented according to the multitude of His mercies.
[Jon 3:10 NKJV]
[10] Then God saw their works, that they turned from their evil way; and God relented from the disaster that He had said He would bring upon them, and He did not do it.

Right Divider

Body part

Peter is asking them to repent of ONE SPECIFIC sin.

Act 3:14-21 KJV But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; (15) And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. (16) And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. (17) And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. (18) But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: (21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Same as Act 2:38

Jerry Shugart

Is that really what you think the baptism of repentance was for?

Before anyone could be baptized with water he had to believe, as witnessed by the following exchange between Philip and the eunuch:

"And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized? And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God" (Acts 8:36-37).​

Before the eunuch was baptized with water he was already "born of God" because he believed that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God:

"Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God..For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith. Who is he that overcometh the world, but he that believeth that Jesus is the Son of God?"
(1 Jn.5:1,4-5).​

There can be no doubt that the eunuch received eternal life and was "born of God" as a result of his faith before he submitted to the "baptism of repentance." That baptism was in regard to changing one's way of living for the better.

So the "baptism of repentance" had nothing to do with believing the gospel because a person had already believed and was saved prior to that baptism.

Jerry Shugart

Acts 2 & 3 are not referring to "the baptism of repentance".

So this is not referring to a baptism of repentance?:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"
(Acts 2:38).

They were to repent and then be baptized and you say that is not referring to the baptism of repentance!

Acts 2 & 3 are not even focusing on the cross, but upon Israel's prophecies and kingdom.

So? Who said anything different? However, they were to believe the following before they were baptized with water:

"Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ"
(Acts 2:36).​

The Jews who believed that were born of God they moment when they believed it (1 Jn.5:1-5) Then those who believed and were already saved, asked, "What shall we do?"

And here is what Peter told those who were already saved:

"Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost" (Acts 2:38).​

And you say that is not a baptism of repentance!

Right Divider

Body part
So this is not referring to a baptism of repentance?:

"Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost"
(Acts 2:38).

They were to repent and then be baptized and you say that is not referring to the baptism of repentance!
Peter is telling them to repent of a SPECIFIC THING, as I showed in an earlier post.

Poor Jerry just wants to argue about everything. Welcome back to my ignore list.

Jerry Shugart

Peter is telling them to repent of a SPECIFIC THING, as I showed in an earlier post.

Poor Jerry just wants to argue about everything. Welcome back to my ignore list.

You are so uninformed that you say that when Peter told the Jews to "repent and be baptized" that wasn't a baptism of repentance.

Last edited:

Rosenritter

I said
Your right repentance is for sin. But I think this might be the problem with many that read the KJV bible.The KJV used the word repent when they should have said relent with God.

Relent-Change Your Mind Repent-Regret

I have no problem with the KJV usage of "repent" to mean "to turn back from." Sometimes it is from a decision, sometimes it is from sin.

Rosenritter

Peter is asking them to repent of ONE SPECIFIC sin.

Act 3:14-21 KJV But ye denied the Holy One and the Just, and desired a murderer to be granted unto you; (15) And killed the Prince of life, whom God hath raised from the dead; whereof we are witnesses. (16) And his name through faith in his name hath made this man strong, whom ye see and know: yea, the faith which is by him hath given him this perfect soundness in the presence of you all. (17) And now, brethren, I wot that through ignorance ye did it, as did also your rulers. (18) But those things, which God before had shewed by the mouth of all his prophets, that Christ should suffer, he hath so fulfilled. (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord; (20) And he shall send Jesus Christ, which before was preached unto you: (21) Whom the heaven must receive until the times of restitution of all things, which God hath spoken by the mouth of all his holy prophets since the world began.

Same as Act 2:38

And there is no need to repent of other sins? If their sin was the rejection of God and Christ, then perhaps they also should repent of other sins of which they are convicted by God and Christ? One cannot sincerely repent of one specific sin without also having the heart to repent of all sin.

Rosenritter

Acts 2 & 3 are not referring to "the baptism of repentance".

Acts 2 & 3 are not even focusing on the cross, but upon Israel's prophecies and kingdom.

Do you really believe that one can be effectively "baptized into Christ Jesus" while with a mind and heart that refuses to repent?

Rosenritter

Regardless if you disdain Jerry, he is quoting the scripture. You aren't responding to the scripture, which says "Repentance for the forgiveness of sins" (plural) not "for the forgiveness of that one sin."

Right Divider

Body part
And there is no need to repent of other sins?
Once again a DISTRACTION from the topic at hand, which is a SINGLE instance being addressed... and not a general "What is every kind of repentance?"

Your illogical adventures into generalization are irrelevant to the specific passage in view.

If their sin was the rejection of God and Christ, then perhaps they also should repent of other sins of which they are convicted by God and Christ?
Once AGAIN.... perhaps you cannot stick a single topic long enough to actually discuss it.

One cannot sincerely repent of one specific sin without also having the heart to repent of all sin.
Once AGAIN.... over-generalization is the tactic to distract from discussion of the topic at hand.

Perhaps you should repent of your continued attempts to go off on an illogical and irrelevant tangent.

glorydaz

My my, do you ever try to read what is written without inserting your own personal bias into the verse? :plain:

Did you ever consider it's the "convert" part that causes their sins to be blotted out?

Did you ever consider that "repent" is referring to their change of mind concerning their Messiah (whom they had crucified)? Being sorry for your sins will not cause them to be blotted out.