Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosenritter View Post
    Acts 2:38 KJV
    (38) Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

Acts 3:19 KJV
    (19) Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

Matthew 9:13 KJV
    (13) But go ye and learn what that meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice: for I am not come to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.

Mark 1:4 KJV
    (4) John did baptize in the wilderness, and preach the baptism of repentance for the remission of sins.

Luke 15:7 KJV
    (7) I say unto you, that likewise joy shall be in heaven over one sinner that repenteth, more than over ninety and nine just persons, which need no repentance.

Luke 15:10 KJV
    (10) Likewise, I say unto you, there is joy in the presence of the angels of God over one sinner that repenteth.

Acts 5:31 KJV
    (31) Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

2 Corinthians 12:21 KJV
    (21) And lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and that I shall bewail many which have sinned already, and have not repented of the uncleanness and fornication and lasciviousness which they have committed.

Whomever would think that one must have repentance from sin? I cannot imagine why anyone would think that was biblical...
    You're still doing the same thing. You're claiming the result of being forgiven of sin is caused by repentance from sin. The result of being forgiven of sin comes from turning from unbelief to belief...a change of mind.

Here's a little challenge for you. Replace each word "repent" in those verses with the word "believe".

Comment

• Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
      Humanity's universal need is to repent of sin? What world do you live in?
      Romans 3:23 KJV
      (23) For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;

Add that to the previously cited passages demonstrating that sinners need repent, and that sins must be repented of. I have no idea why anyone would argue that mankind has no need to repent of their sins.... but then again, I never anticipated that anyone would argue that "Love God" and "Love thy neighbor" were "works of the flesh" either.

Comment

You're still doing the same thing. You're claiming the result of being forgiven of sin is caused by repentance from sin. The result of being forgiven of sin comes from turning from unbelief to belief...a change of mind.
        1 John 1:8-9 KJV
        (8) If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
        (9) If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.

Is John speaking to people who have not yet believed? Yet they still need forgiveness of sins. .

Comment

My my, do you ever try to read what is written without inserting your own personal bias into the verse?

Did you ever consider it's the "convert" part that causes their sins to be blotted out?

Did you ever consider that "repent" is referring to their change of mind concerning their Messiah (whom they had crucified)? Being sorry for your sins will not cause them to be blotted out.
          Poor Rosenritter has NOT advanced into the 'Gospel of the grace of God,' as preached by the Apostle Paul, but believes he is living as a member of the 'House of Israel.' As you and I realize, the Lord Jesus and His Disciples were preaching the 'Kingdom Gospel' to the House of Israel, while the Apostle Paul was preaching the 'Gospel of the grace of God' to the Jew first (they rejected it) and subsequently Paul went to the Gentiles and became the 'Apostle to the Gentiles.'

Comment

Here's a little challenge for you. Replace each word "repent" in those verses with the word "believe".
            I said
            lol That is the craziest thing I have ever heard. If we could just change the word to make us forgiven, the Lord would have used the other word. Repentance of a sin is our acknowledgment of the sin and our regret of committing the sin. That is how we confess our sins.

CONFESS YOUR SINS
            James 5:16
            16 Confess your trespasses to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
            I Jn 1:9
            9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
            Matt 10:32-36
            32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.
            33 "But whoever denies Me before men, him I will also deny before My Father who is in heaven.
            34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
            35 "For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law';
            36 "and 'a man's enemies will be those of his own household.'
            Rom 3:3-4
            3 For what if some did not believe? Will their unbelief make the faithfulness of God without effect?
            4 Certainly not! Indeed, let God be true but every man a liar. As it is written: "That You may be justified in Your words, and may overcome when You are judged."
            Matt 12:36-37
            36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
            37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
            Matt 12:34-36
            34 "Brood of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks.
            35 "A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things.
            36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
            [1Jo 1:5-6, 8-10
            [5] This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. [6] If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. ...
            [8] If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.
            [9] If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us [our] sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
            [10] If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.
            Last edited by Squeaky; October 13th, 2018, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Why would you say that having a heart prepared for the Lord could be accomplished by their own efforts?
              I never said that. I said that before they were baptized with water they had to believe (Acts 8:36-37).

Then they were to submit to the "baptism of repentance."

So by the time Peter told them to repent and to be baptized they had already believed and were already saved. So the "repentance" Peter spoke of at Acts 2:38 was not in regard to believing since they had already done that. Instead, they were to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful lifestyle so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness.

Originally posted by glorydaz View Post
              Ananias was a Jew who wanted to show Paul was not an idolater as was being claimed. He, of course, followed what the law would require. Ezekiel 36:25 Cleansing him had nothing to do with his future course of behaviour.
              Tell me in what way Paul was to wash away his sins?:

"And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).
              Last edited by Jerry Shugart; October 13th, 2018, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Yep, that's what the baptism of repentance was for. Going under the water was a sign they accepted Jesus as their Messiah, the Christ.
                Not to be a nitpicker, but the Bible never describes anyone as "going under the water" in regards to any water baptism.

I know that many have the belief that baptism is dunking. But this idea cannot be supported from the Bible.
                All of my ancestors are human.
                Originally posted by Squeaky
                That explains why your an idiot.
                Originally posted by God's Truth
                Father figure, Son figure, and Holy Spirit figure.
                Col 2:9 (AKJV/PCE)
                (2:9) For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

1Tim 4:10 (AKJV/PCE)
                (4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

Comment

Jerry, you keep missing the point.

Rosen thinks repentance is from sins. You think repentance is for living a holy life.
                  Yes, like many others, Rosenritter thinks that the word repentance can only mean turning from sins.

Wrongly defining a word always leads to confusion.

(4:10) For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

Something that was SPOKEN OF since the world began CANNOT be the SAME thing as something KEPT SECRET since the world began.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rosenritter View Post
                    So humanity's universal need to repent of sin is "my own personal bias?"
                    Once AGAIN... not every use of the word repent in the Bible refers to "humanity's universal need to repent of sin". This is just YOU over-generalizing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Right Divider View Post
                      Yes, like many others, Rosenritter thinks that the word repentance can only mean turning from sins.

Wrongly defining a word always leads to confusion.
                      "And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and wash away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord" (Acts 22:16).

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                        I never said that. I said that before they were baptized with water they had to believe (Acts 8:36-37).

Then they were to submit to the "baptism of repentance."

So by the time Peter told them to repent and to be baptized they had already believed and were already saved. So the "repentance" Peter spoke of at Acts 2:38 was not in regard to believing since they had already done that. Instead, they were to have a change of mind in regard to their sinful lifestyle so that they could serve the Lord Jesus in holiness and righteousness.

I said
                        Water baptism is a public testimony of sanctification. The washing of water by the Word.

Comment

• Originally posted by Squeaky View Post
                          I said
                          Water baptism is a public testimony of sanctification. The washing of water by the Word.
                          I said

You are wrong again!

Comment

• Originally posted by Jerry Shugart View Post
                            I said

You are wrong again!
                            I said
                            SANCTIFIED (THE WASHING OF WATER BY THE WORD)

Rev 1:5
                            5 and from Jesus Christ, the faithful witness, the firstborn from the dead, and the ruler over the kings of the earth. To Him who loved us and washed us from our sins in His own blood,
                            John 17:17
                            17 "Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
                            1 Cor 5:6-8
                            6 Your glorying is not good. Do you not know that a little leaven leavens the whole lump?
                            7 Therefore purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new lump, since you truly are unleavened. For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us.
                            8 Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.
                            John 14:23-24
                            23 Jesus answered and said to him, "If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him.
                            24 "He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine but the Father's who sent Me.
                            John 10:1
                            1 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who does not enter the sheepfold by the door, but climbs up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.
                            John 15:14
                            14 "You are My friends if you do whatever I command you.
                            John 15:13
                            13 "Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one's life for his friends.
                            Matt 12:36-37
                            37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."
                            Matt 26:28
                            28 "For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
                            Eph 5:26
                            26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
                            Heb 5:8-9
                            8 though He was a Son, yet He learned obedience by the things which He suffered.
                            9 And having been perfected, He became the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him,
                            James 1:2-3
                            2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
                            3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
                            Heb 12:4
                            4 You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.
                            2 Cor 3:4-6
                            4 And we have such trust through Christ toward God.
                            5 Not that we are sufficient of ourselves to think of anything as being from ourselves, but our sufficiency is from God,
                            6 who also made us sufficient as ministers of the new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.
                            Rom 8:1
                            1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
                            Heb 10:22
                            22 let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience and our bodies washed with pure water.
                            John 7:38
                            38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."
                            II Th 2:1-2
                            1 Now, brethren, concerning the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ and our gathering together to Him, we ask you,
                            2 not to be soon shaken in mind or troubled, either by spirit or by word or by letter, as if from us, as though the day of Christ had come.
                            II Th 2:14
                            14 to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.
                            II Th 3:1-3
                            1 Finally, brethren, pray for us, that the word of the Lord may run swiftly and be glorified, just as it is with you,
                            2 and that we may be delivered from unreasonable and wicked men; for not all have faith.
                            3 But the Lord is faithful, who will establish you and guard you from the evil one.
                            II Th 3:5
                            5 Now may the Lord direct your hearts into the love of God and into the patience of Christ.
                            1 Pet 1:1-2
                            1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To the pilgrims of the Dispersion in Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,
                            2 elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, in sanctification of the Spirit, for obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace to you and peace be multiplied.
                            Heb 10:10
                            10 By that will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.
                            Acts 20:32
                            32 "So now, brethren, I commend you to God and to the word of His grace, which is able to build you up and give you an inheritance among all those who are sanctified.
                            TAKE THE WORD LITERALLY

John 7:38
                            38 "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water."
                            I Jn 3:3
                            3 And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
                            Heb 4:12-13
                            12 For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
                            13 And there is no creature hidden from His sight, but all things are naked and open to the eyes of Him to whom we must give account.
                            Rev 22:18-19
                            18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
                            19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
                            (NKJ)
                            xxxSanctified is the washing of water by the Word. Puting the verses in your belief system and pushing out your carnality. Jesus said that God gave Him a command of what to say and what to speak. Jesus gave us the Word to live by. And we are to live by the same Word He did. Every verse is a spiritual principle. The verses work just like our alphabet does. Move them around and say different things. This is the hidden language of the Holy Spirit. You have many reasons why you do what you do. When your reason for doing anything is a verse from the Holy Spirit you are sanctified.

1 Cor 4:6
                            6 Now these things, brethren, I have figuratively transferred to myself and Apollos for your sakes, that you may learn in us not to think beyond what is written, that none of you may be puffed up on behalf of one against the other.
                            (NKJ)

Rev 22:18-19
                            18 For I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book;
                            19 and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.
                            (NKJ)

John 13:5-8
                            5 After that, He poured water into a basin and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel with which He was girded.
                            6 Then He came to Simon Peter. And Peter said to Him, "Lord, are You washing my feet?"
                            7 Jesus answered and said to him, "What I am doing you do not understand now, but you will know after this."
                            8 Peter said to Him, "You shall never wash my feet!" Jesus answered him, "If I do not wash you, you have no part with Me."
                            (NKJ)

Gal 5:22-23
                            22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,
                            23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
                            (NKJ)

Rom 8:1-2

1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
                            2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
                            (NKJ)

Comment

Not to be a nitpicker, but the Bible never describes anyone as "going under the water" in regards to any water baptism.

I know that many have the belief that baptism is dunking. But this idea cannot be supported from the Bible.
                              Romans 6:3-4 KJV
                              (3) Know ye not, that so many of us as were baptized into Jesus Christ were baptized into his death?
                              (4) Therefore we are buried with him by baptism into death: that like as Christ was raised up from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

Acts 8:38-39 KJV
                              (38) And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
                              (39) And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

1 Peter 3:20-21 KJV
                              (20) Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing, wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
                              (21) The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us (not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:

1. When one speaks of burial it usually means to fully cover or conceal within the grave.
                              2. If the eunuch was only to be sprinkled, they wouldn't have needed to find a source of water. Caravans always carried drinking water.
                              3. If the mass of water from Noah's flood doesn't signify a burial with total immersion then I'm not sure what greater illustration could be used to convey this concept.

G907
                              βαπτίζω
                              baptizō
                              bap-tid'-zo
                              From a derivative of G911; to make whelmed (that is, fully wet); used only (in the New Testament) of ceremonial ablution, especially (technically) of the ordinance of Christian baptism: - baptist, baptize, wash.

Comment

Once AGAIN... not every use of the word repent in the Bible refers to "humanity's universal need to repent of sin". This is just YOU over-generalizing.
                                Isn't is just wonderful how you and Glory (etc) continue to create my own arguments and for me? It must be so much easier for you to argue this was way.

Comment

Working...
                                X