Jews And Gentiles Same Goal

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
you said
No one must repent from their sins in order to be saved

I said
The way you worded that can be very deceiving. Depending on where you put the comma.

No one must repent, from their sins in order to be saved.

No, one must repent from their sins in order to be saved.

Leaving it wide open half will take it one way and half the other.

It looks like 'Squeaky' is messing with your mind a wee bit. :)

I said
Wait a minute. Am I the only one who sees it could mean both ways??

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
you said

I said
The way you worded that can be very deceiving. Depending on where you put the comma.

I said

Yeah, if you have a strange way of looking at things. :kookoo:

glorydaz

No one must repent from their sins in order to be saved because in order to be saved one must "believe," as witnessed by the answer of Paul and those with Him:

"And brought them out, and said, Sirs, what must I do to be saved? And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house"
(Acts 16:30-31).​

Before a person can believe in Christ they first have to "repent" or have "a change of mind" about Him. Faith and repentance are inseparable in regard to the gospel.

:thumb:

On the other hand, the Scriptures also speak of repenting or having a change of mind in regard to living a sinful lifestyle. That is the meaning of the word "repent" in the following verse:

"In those days came John the Baptist, preaching in the wilderness of Judaea, And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand. For this is he that was spoken of by the prophet Esaias, saying, The voice of one crying in the wilderness, Prepare ye the way of the Lord, make his paths straight" (Mt.3:1-3).​

The repentance in regard to changing one's sinful lifestyle was to "make ready a people prepared for the Lord" so that they "might serve Him...in holiness and righteousness" (Lk.1:17,74,75).

The children of Israel could not serve The Lord Jesus in righteousness and holiness as long as they remained living a life that defiled them. Therefore, they were to "repent" (have a change of mind) in regard to the sinful lifestyle they were living.

My question, Jerry, is what sinful lifestyle did the children of Israel have? Sin is transgression of the law, and the children of Israel kept it quite well. And yet there were the pharisees...

Matt. 23:25-26 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye make clean the outside of the cup and of the platter, but within they are full of extortion and excess. Thou blind Pharisee, cleanse first that which is within the cup and platter, that the outside of them may be clean also.​

That would not change until they believed in the name of Jesus Christ. :idunno:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
you said

I said

I said

Most people on here can write above a sixth grade level, Squeaky.

Which means, that when they leave out a comma from a sentence, reading one into it in not just one, but two places (especially when one of those places doesn't work anyways), is a bad idea.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
[/I][/B]

Yeah, if you have a strange way of looking at things. :kookoo:

I said
lol I have found that people have funny ways at looking at things. I have posted revelations on this board in support of what someone has said. And they get mad at me. I know its because they have an emotion that got aroused. Emotional people dont realize that their emotions can turn things around in their minds. I thought I was helping him and he got upset with me. So I was trying to show him how easy it is to see things the wrong way. Didnt seem to help.

Rosenritter

you said

I said

I said

If a comma were present, it would mean that one MUST repent from their sins as part of the salvation process. As written without the comma, it means that NO ONE AT ALL must repent from their sins as part of the salvation process. That's quite a lot of difference actually.

Given that Jerry emphasized that he meant it as written, then he is maintaining that that repentance from sin is not part of salvation, that salvation can be had without repentance from sin and sinning, which seems to bear close semblance to what is known as Antinomianism.

Luke 24:46-47 KJV
(46) And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
(47) And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Yet here Jesus declares that repentance and remission of sins is a vital part of the gospel to be preached unto all nations, for the Jew and Gentile alike. Christ's previous statements about repentance from sin "Unless ye repent, ye shall likewise perish" and "I came not to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance" would seem to be a clear statement for many, but apparently not so clearly that everyone here understands it the same.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
If a comma were present, it would mean that one MUST repent from their sins as part of the salvation process. As written without the comma, it means that NO ONE AT ALL must repent from their sins as part of the salvation process. That's quite a lot of difference actually.

Given that Jerry emphasized that he meant it as written, then he is maintaining that that repentance from sin is not part of salvation, that salvation can be had without repentance from sin and sinning, which seems to bear close semblance to what is known as Antinomianism.

Luke 24:46-47 KJV
(46) And said unto them, Thus it is written, and thus it behoved Christ to suffer, and to rise from the dead the third day:
(47) And that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in his name among all nations, beginning at Jerusalem.

Yet here Jesus declares that repentance and remission of sins is a vital part of the gospel to be preached unto all nations, for the Jew and Gentile alike. Christ's previous statements about repentance from sin "Unless ye repent, ye shall likewise perish" and "I came not to call the righteous, but the sinners to repentance" would seem to be a clear statement for many, but apparently not so clearly that everyone here understands it the same.

I said
What I dont understand is how you got in a conversation like this. You know that repentance is for sin. I cant figure out how anyone would repent if there was no sin involved. Or Why?

glorydaz

I said
What I dont understand is how you got in a conversation like this. You know that repentance is for sin. I cant figure out how anyone would repent if there was no sin involved. Or Why?

Amos 7:6 The Lord repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord God.​

See how easy it is to get some false idea stuck in your head?

In the army, repent used to mean "about face".

I can repent and go to the store instead of the library.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
I said
lol I have found that people have funny ways at looking at things. I have posted revelations on this board in support of what someone has said. And they get mad at me. I know its because they have an emotion that got aroused. Emotional people dont realize that their emotions can turn things around in their minds. I thought I was helping him and he got upset with me. So I was trying to show him how easy it is to see things the wrong way. Didnt seem to help.

I wonder why? :think:

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
Amos 7:6 The Lord repented for this: This also shall not be, saith the Lord God.​

See how easy it is to get some false idea stuck in your head?

In the army, repent used to mean "about face".

I can repent and go to the store instead of the library.

I said
This is what my bible says.

[Amo 7:6 NKJV] [6] [So] the LORD relented concerning this. "This also shall not be," said the Lord GOD.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I said
This is what my bible says.

[Amo 7:6 NKJV] [6] [So] the LORD relented concerning this. "This also shall not be," said the Lord GOD.
The word used in the original language was "repent." But, funnily enough, "relent" is actually more harsh than "repent," because it has the connotation of already doing something, and then ceasing to do it. "Repent" simply means to change one's mind.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
The word used in the original language was "repent." But, funnily enough, "relent" is actually more harsh than "repent," because it has the connotation of already doing something, and then ceasing to do it. "Repent" simply means to change one's mind.

I said
We seem to see it backwards. God was going to destroy people lots of times and God relented. Changed His mind.
Where man must repent, regret every doing a thing.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I said
We seem to see it backwards.

You mean "I seem to see it backwards"? Because I see what the Bible actually says quite clearly.

God was going to destroy people lots of times and they relented.

Relented from doing what?

Changed His mind.

"Repent" means to change one's mind. You have stated that repent means to "turn away from sin."

So if God repented, then based on your definition of "repent," what sin did God turn away from?

"Relent" means to "let up on" or to "cease" doing something, meaning a person was doing something and then stopped doing it.

So if God relented, then what was He doing that He stopped doing?

Repent means to change one's mind.

God repents several times in the Bible.

Squeaky

BANNED
Banned
You mean "I seem to see it backwards"? Because I see what the Bible actually says quite clearly.

"Repent" means to change one's mind. You have stated that repent means to "turn away from sin."

So if God repented, then based on your definition of "repent," what sin did God turn away from?

"Relent" means to "let up on" or to "cease" doing something, meaning a person was doing something and then stopped doing it.

said
We seem to see it backwards. God was going to destroy people lots of times and God relented. Changed His mind.

I said
I apologize, I had they and it should have been God.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame

Even Billy Graham taught that the meaning of 'REPENT' is, "To change your mind."