Is Calvinism Wrong?

TestedandTried

I do not agree at all. That point is too obvious...he never would have expended his energy pointing out the oh so obvious.

Yes, the elect are sealed...I'm saying we do not know who those elect are exactly.

TestedandTried

Again...who are the true body of Christ. Yes, all are susceptible to falling away and not repenting if they find they love that sin more than Christianity. Why are we all warned again and again to WATCH?

Rosenritter

Until you understand that you'll fail at it.

How can it be understood when its proponents will not explain it their meaning, and why should it be accepted blindly if its advocates will not subject it to scrutiny? Each time someone has started to give a meaning their rules have fallen back into contradiction... and then it's back to the meaningless "You don't understand how to Rightly Divide the Scriptures(TM)"

I recognize that there may be many different types of views and perspectives, which even if all may not be entirely accurate in every aspect it matters more what fruits (effects) they produce upon those who share those views and others. The effects that I have seen is a type of spiritual racism justifying itself as akin to "separate by equal."

"What God has joined together, let not man put asunder" (Matthew 19:6) and in that spirit (albeit a different context) God has joined the Jew and the Gentile together into the same body and the same branch. Those in God are in Christ (and our Christ was their God) and those in Christ are joined into the same body, into the same assembly and church of the firstborn Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:22-23 KJV
(22) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
(23) To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

In addition to this artificial separation of the body of saints there is also a teaching of legalism that for some people salvation can be earned by works of the law. And when subjects of love for and forgiveness of others become an offensive subject of controversy how can this but trip red flags of alarm? Whatever the perceived benefits of a "Dispensationalism" doctrine might be it doesn't seem to produce healthy fruit of the spirit in those areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism
Dispensationalism developed as a system from the teachings of John Nelson Darby (1800–82) who strongly influenced the Plymouth Brethren of the 1830s in Ireland and England. The original concept came when Darby considered the implications of Isaiah 32 for Israel.

John Nelson Darby is considered by some to be the father of dispensationalism,[8]:10, 293 which was adopted, modified, and made popular in the United States by the Scofield Reference Bible.

Besides its practical effects, it's also a very new doctrine and seems entirely unnecessary. The bible read harmoniously and perfectly well enough without needing to be torn asunder through a misapplication of 2 Timothy 2:15. It's one Lord and one God, consistent in his love and his character, one salvation through faith under grace for all people both Jew and Gentile..

glorydaz

Considering the context of Hebrews 10 specifies that this is sanctification through the blood of the Son of God, it is sanctification in Christ Jesus.

No, members of the body of Christ are justified by His blood. Rom. 5:9KJV

Acts 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Spoiler
1 Corinthians 1:2 KJV
(2) Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Romans 5:9 KJV
(9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Hebrews 10:29 KJV
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

The Jew and the Gentile alike are sanctified by His blood, the same blood of the same Son of God by the same sacrifice for sins. Salvation is for the Jew and the Gentile which cannot be separated from grace.

When you mix up words like sanctified and justified, it's no wonder you make these errors. You read things into what is written, like you just did with Hebrews, and you end up with contradictions.

Acts 26:18 To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of Satan unto God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me.
Glory, this is veering off subject. The question at hand is whether grace is applied conditionally or unconditionally. You reaffirmed that you are not Universalist... which means that you recognize that salvation is not applied unconditionally. There is no salvation for those who will not believe upon the Son of God.

And there is no salvation without grace. It is written "(by grace ye are saved)" and "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 2:5, John 1:17). And if we needed any further clarification, we are specifically told that Jew and Gentile alike are saved through grace.

Acts 15:9-11 KJV
(9) And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
(10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(11) But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The topic of grace touches the very nature and character of God. Are God's ways equal? Is he the same yesterday, to day, and for ever? Is he a respecter of persons? Shall we not all be saved through the same grace of the same Lord who so loved the world?

Grace is given to those who have received Christ. If we who have received forgiveness of sins worthy of death deny forgiveness unto others then we despise that grace. There is no difference between Jew or Gentile in this regard. Grace is freely available for all but it is not unconditional.

How can we go on when oil and water don't mix?

You have just tried mixing law and grace again. Law is forgiving in order to be forgiven. Those are works of men. All the law requires some work of man. Grace does not. Believing is NOT a work as Paul makes clear over and over again.

Tell me.....where do you find the word justified in Hebrews?

And in James you'll see justified by works. We are justified by faith in His blood.

You have to start by seeing what is written to the Jews and what is written to the Gentiles. Hebrews was not written to the Gentiles. There are too many contradictions otherwise.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The code word for "Dispensationalism."

oikonomia

oikos nomos

house law

house management

Eph 3:1 For this cause I Paul, the prisoner of Jesus Christ for you Gentiles,
Eph 3:2 If ye have heard of the dispensation of the grace of God which is given me to you-ward:
Eph 3:3 How that by revelation he made known unto me the mystery; (as I wrote afore in few words,
Eph 3:4 Whereby, when ye read, ye may understand my knowledge in the mystery of Christ)
Eph 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Eph 3:6 That the Gentiles should be fellowheirs, and of the same body, and partakers of his promise in Christ by the gospel:
Eph 3:7 Whereof I was made a minister, according to the gift of the grace of God given unto me by the effectual working of his power.
Eph 3:8 Unto me, who am less than the least of all saints, is this grace given, that I should preach among the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ;
Eph 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

glorydaz

How can it be understood when its proponents will not explain it their meaning, and why should it be accepted blindly if its advocates will not subject it to scrutiny? Each time someone has started to give a meaning their rules have fallen back into contradiction... and then it's back to the meaningless "You don't understand how to Rightly Divide the Scriptures(TM)"

On the contrary, why should they explain over and over again what you dismiss out of hand?

You're so invested in what you think you know, that you refuse to even consider what they say.

I recognize that there may be many different types of views and perspectives, which even if all may not be entirely accurate in every aspect it matters more what fruits (effects) they produce upon those who share those views and others. The effects that I have seen is a type of spiritual racism justifying itself as akin to "separate by equal."

See, that's what you always do. :popcorn:

"What God has joined together, let not man put asunder" (Matthew 19:6) and in that spirit (albeit a different context) God has joined the Jew and the Gentile together into the same body and the same branch. Those in God are in Christ (and our Christ was their God) and those in Christ are joined into the same body, into the same assembly and church of the firstborn Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 12:22-23 KJV
(22) But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,
(23) To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

The church of the firstborn isn't the body of Christ.....there is no Jew or Gentile in the body of Christ. JESUS CHRIST is not the "firstborn" being spoken of there.

The church of the firstborn is Israel....just as the church in the wilderness was. Acts 7:38KJV Jer. 31:9KJV ie a Jewish church.

Exodus 4:22
22 And thou shalt say unto Pharaoh, Thus saith the Lord, Israel is my son, even my firstborn:​

In addition to this artificial separation of the body of saints there is also a teaching of legalism that for some people salvation can be earned by works of the law. And when subjects of love for and forgiveness of others become an offensive subject of controversy how can this but trip red flags of alarm? Whatever the perceived benefits of a "Dispensationalism" doctrine might be it doesn't seem to produce healthy fruit of the spirit in those areas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dispensationalism

Besides its practical effects, it's also a very new doctrine and seems entirely unnecessary. The bible read harmoniously and perfectly well enough without needing to be torn asunder through a misapplication of 2 Timothy 2:15. It's one Lord and one God, consistent in his love and his character, one salvation through faith under grace for all people both Jew and Gentile..

No, what trips red flags is when people attempt to make things the same that are clearly different. Your view is filled with contradictions.

Rosenritter

Considering the context of Hebrews 10 specifies that this is sanctification through the blood of the Son of God, it is sanctification in Christ Jesus.
Spoiler
1 Corinthians 1:2 KJV
(2) Unto the church of God which is at Corinth, to them that are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all that in every place call upon the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Romans 5:9 KJV
(9) Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.

Hebrews 10:29 KJV
(29) Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

The Jew and the Gentile alike are sanctified by His blood, the same blood of the same Son of God by the same sacrifice for sins. Salvation is for the Jew and the Gentile which cannot be separated from grace.

Glory, this is veering off subject. The question at hand is whether grace is applied conditionally or unconditionally. You reaffirmed that you are not Universalist... which means that you recognize that salvation is not applied unconditionally. There is no salvation for those who will not believe upon the Son of God.

And there is no salvation without grace. It is written "(by grace ye are saved)" and "For the law was given by Moses, but grace and truth came by Jesus Christ." (Ephesians 2:5, John 1:17). And if we needed any further clarification, we are specifically told that Jew and Gentile alike are saved through grace.
Acts 15:9-11 KJV
(9) And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
(10) Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
(11) But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

The topic of grace touches the very nature and character of God. Are God's ways equal? Is he the same yesterday, to day, and for ever? Is he a respecter of persons? Shall we not all be saved through the same grace of the same Lord who so loved the world?

Grace is given to those who have received Christ. If we who have received forgiveness of sins worthy of death deny forgiveness unto others then we despise that grace. There is no difference between Jew or Gentile in this regard. Grace is freely available for all but it is not unconditional.
No, members of the body of Christ are justified by His blood. Rom. 5:9KJV
Acts 13:39 And by him all that believe are justified from all things, from which ye could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Sanctification and justification are not separable concepts; you don't find the saints justified without sanctification, and you don't find the saints sanctified without justification.

1 Corinthians 6:11 KJV
(11) And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

How is it that you read that "justified by his blood" (Romans 5:9) as if that was some sort of contradiction against "sanctified by his blood?" (Hebrews 10:29?) Most normal people would recognize that the blood of Christ (a metaphor for Christ Himself) both justifies and sanctifies.

Or do you maintain that the blood of Christ is a magical potion that has a different effect from one person to the next? It is written "And, having made peace through the blood of his cross, by him to reconcile all things unto himself... " (Col 1:20) and in another place "The blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin" (1 John 1:7)

Besides this, you cannot seize hold of one tiny phrase and insist that it is a "work of art." There is a multitude of phrases and metaphors used to describe how we are sanctified. I can never tell which books you will toss out as "inapplicable" so I included one from each from a variety including Acts, Romans, Ephesians, 1 Thessalonians, 2 Thessalonians, 2 Timothy, Hebrews, and Jude.

Spoiler
Acts 20:32 KJV
(32) And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified.

Romans 15:16 KJV
(16) That I should be the minister of Jesus Christ to the Gentiles, ministering the gospel of God, that the offering up of the Gentiles might be acceptable, being sanctified by the Holy Ghost.

Ephesians 5:25-26 KJV
(25) Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
(26) That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

1 Thessalonians 4:1-3 KJV
(1) Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
(2) For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
(3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 KJV
(23) And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 Thessalonians 2:13 KJV
(13) But we are bound to give thanks alway to God for you, brethren beloved of the Lord, because God hath from the beginning chosen you to salvation through sanctification of the Spirit and belief of the truth:

2 Timothy 2:19-21 KJV
(19) Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.
(20) But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour.
(21) If a man therefore purge himself from these, he shall be a vessel unto honour, sanctified, and meet for the master's use, and prepared unto every good work.

Hebrews 10:9-10 KJV
(9) Then said he, Lo, I come to do thy will, O God. He taketh away the first, that he may establish the second.
(10) By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.

1 Peter 1:2 KJV
(2) Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

Jude 1:1 KJV
(1) Jude, the servant of Jesus Christ, and brother of James, to them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ, and called:

All of his saints are justified and sanctified by Him, but the scriptures do not limit themselves to one fixed term from one epistle to the next. It is a matter of variety of speech, not two (or seven) different gospels and alchemical formulae for Salvation. For example, we are told that we are sanctified by:

1. By the Holy Ghost (Romans)
2. By Jesus Christ with the washing of water by the word (Ephesians)
3. By the commandments of Lord Jesus (1 Thessalonians)
4. Of the Spirit and belief of the truth (2 Thessalonians)
5. By departing from iniquity (2 Timothy)
6. By the offering of the body and the blood of Jesus Christ (Hebrews)
7. By God the Father (Jude)

And given that range of description for sanctification do you really want to argue that you we are sanctified by something other than His blood? Just because that particular description comes from the book of Hebrews? Will you also be consistent and maintain that you are not sanctified by God the Father because that was written in Jude?

1 Thessalonians 4:1-3 KJV
(1) Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
(2) For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
(3) For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

While we were at it, I thought I'd point out that the Thessalonian Christians were sanctified by the commandments by Lord Jesus. You seemed to object to the word "commandments" before, saying that you didn't need to follow the commandments of Jesus because they were only for Jews. Remind me please, is Thessalonians considered a Jewish epistle or a Gentile epistle? I can never tell which ones we are supposed to ignore.

Law is forgiving in order to be forgiven.

Forgiving others to be forgiven of sin was never part of the law. Read the law, Glory. Search it until you get tired of looking, it's not there.

Tell me.....where do you find the word justified in Hebrews?

Is your argument become that Jewish believers in Christ are not justified? "The just shall live by faith." (Habakkuk 2:4, Galatians 3:11).

Galatians 3:11 KJV
(11) But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.

I can just hear the chorus now, "Paul, you don't know how to rightly divide the word of truth!"" What is Paul doing taking an Old Testament scripture written to Jews and applying this to all men in a epistle to the Gentiles? But Paul is very clear here. No man is justified by the law, for it is evident, "The just shall live by faith."

If none are justified by works of the law, but the just shall live by faith, that would include Jewish Christians.

And in James you'll see justified by works. We are justified by faith in His blood.

James does not say we are justified by works of the law. James speaks in the context of faith, and says that Abraham was justified by the works of his faith. James addresses a dead faith, a fake faith, against an interpretation of belief that is as hollow as the same belief that the devils also possess. Read the passage again, does it say "works of the law?" Or does it say that a true faith has works?

And does he not also say that Abraham was justified by works? Abraham was before the law, this is not possibly "works of the law." And how does he summarize his meaning? He says "the scripture was fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness..." (James 2:23)

If you've been reading that as "justified by works of the law" you've been reading it all wrong and against the context. Besides this, your interpretation would necessarily create a contradiction where Paul quotes the Old Testament to prove that no man is justified by the law. Abraham was justified by the works of his faith which were plainly seen when he offered Isaac on the altar, without works of the law.

You have to start by seeing what is written to the Jews and what is written to the Gentiles. Hebrews was not written to the Gentiles. There are too many contradictions otherwise.

You already have Paul contradicting your interpretation of James. Read James as written and there is no contradiction. "Works" is used throughout scripture and it is always "works" of something, whether it is the works of our hands, works of the law, works of the Lord God, or works of faith.

Romans 3:27-28 KJV
(27) Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
(28) Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.

James 2:17-18 KJV
(17) Even sofaith,if it hath not works, is dead, being alone.
(18) Yea, a man may say, Thou hast faith, and I have works: shew me thy faith without thy works, and I will shew thee my faith by my works.

You don't show faith by works of the law but rather you show faith by works of faith. So even as Paul speaks of the law of faith, and James speaks against those who deceived themselves through a dead faith without belief. There is no contradiction here, no justification to impose an artificial lens with which to tear scripture asunder. No man is justified through the law is a solid rule without exception.

Glory, I suspect that the perceived mandate for "Mid Acts Dispensationalism" stands or falls on the claim of "justification by works of the law" which isn't taught by scripture for any person or any peoples. James doesn't say that, that's what other people say about James. Besides, Paul dispels that notion flat out, using plain language that excludes anyone and everyone, and "the scripture cannot be broken."

Regardless... this is hardly bad news. Doesn't it make far more sense that God is consistent with everyone? If MAD dictates that some are justified by works of the law and Paul says that no one is justified by the works of the law, I'd go with Paul. Any day.

Last edited:

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
One can, in fact, be sanctified (set apart) without being justified.

199a5386486c5e31dbae786eeff7e0e0.jpg

b822ce35fa6ab965ca658b29676d88f7.jpg

Israel was sanctified, set apart from the world, but they were far from being justified. That's what the mosaic law was for.

However, the Body of Christ is both sanctified AND justified, because we are in the world but not of the world, set apart, and because Christ's blood has paid for our sins, made righteous, justified.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
glorydaz,

Please read this whole post before responding to any of it. You've taken offense where none is/was intended....

I rest at the end of the week, like most people. They always have, and they've given their animals a rest as well. If they didn't, they'd break down, because a rest was intended from the beginning.
Do yourself a favor and use Saturdays to mow your lawn from now on.

That isn't a joke and I'm not kidding. Every time you do this "resting at the end of the week" business, you revive your flesh and tacitly obligate yourself to follow the whole law. Your every success in such an endeavor is injurious to your relationship with Him who has done all this work for you and is your righteousness. Please, please find something strenuous to do on Saturday's and do it twice before climbing up on that cross to rescue the law!

And, by the way, why did you say "at the end of the week"? I asked specifically about Saturday and quoted the passage from the Ten Commandments but you respond with "at the end of the week". And you may well have used that wording to refer to Saturday, which is totally fine. I just ask because some people have somehow convinced themselves that the Sabbath got changed to Sunday.

If it's a defense mechanism, then you're saying I have something to be defensive about.
Intuitively, yes. Someone presents an argument that you don't know how to deal with and so your brain figures out a way to deal with it. Everyone does it to one degree or another.

When I believe something to be true, I come right out and say it. So, I think you're being unfair by suggesting I'm rationalizing anything.
Let's take a moment to dispassionately look at what actually happened...

You're here defending the Ten Commandments as having not been nailed to the cross and said, in so many words, that the Law, which applied only to Israel is what was nailed to the cross, not the Ten Commandments.

In response to that I point out Romans 1 where Paul talks about the condemnation of "all the ungodliness and unrighteousness of men" and talks about homosexuality and other things that are not listed in the Ten commandments.

In response to the unassailable point, you said that all that Romans 1 stuff was included in the Ten Commandments, effectively turning the Ten Commandments into the WHOLE LAW!!!

And you did so with no biblical support or any other rational explanation.

That is TEXTBOOK rationalizing. (That's not intended as a personal slight, just an observation.)

The Ten Commandments have TEN commands and not a one of them says a word about homosexuality.

I could say the same about your claims as well. But, I wouldn't, because I'm convinced you're a very sincere person who says just what he means.
Look, I'm not questioning your sincerity, I'm questioning whether you've thought this through properly. I'm only reacting to what you write on this forum. There was no offense intended.

And yet God's eternal law has been around from the beginning. How did Pharaoh know it was wrong to take Sarah when Abraham failed to mention she was his wife? Thou shalt not covet...Thou shalt not commit adultery.
It wasn't because of the Ten Commandments!

Don't you see that that's the whole point! That is just exactly the whole point! You're just so agonizingly close to the full answer!

I am not here advocating for sin. I am not saying that its alright to slap your mother or worship other gods or to steal or to murder. Nor am I saying that we shouldn't spend time focusing on God and on Spiritual things. What I'm telling you is that if you do or don't do things because there is a list of rules on the wall, then Christ will profit you nothing and you are a debtor to obey the whole law. For the very same God that said, though shalt not murder, also said to pay the tithe and to not eat animals with their blood and 600+ other things.

Romans 2:14-15 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves: 15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another; )​
Romans chapter 2 is on the very next page from a passage where Paul talks about sins that are not included in the Ten Commandments...

Romans 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,​

Notice that the standard Paul used in Romans 1 was NOT the Ten Commandments but rather natural law!

YOU DO NOT NEED THE TEN COMMANDMENTS! (Capital letters should not be taken as me "yelling" - it's just for emphasis.)

I'm not seeing how the fruit of the tree is the Law. The Law (Do not eat) was given, and then the fruit was eaten that resulted in death. So wouldn't the curse of the law be the penalty incurred with disobedience?
The parallels between the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil and The Law are many and undeniable. A proper treatment of the biblical material would require more than is conducive to a chat forum. My posts are too long as it is! Bob Enyart spends something like fifteen pages on the subject in his book The Plot. I've already presented a brief summary of many of the parallels found in scripture so I won't go over that again here but I will just make one brief additional point on the subject just to give you a taste of what is there to been found on the subject...

Paul himself makes the connection most clearly in Romans 5 where Paul is speaking about "the offense"...

Romans 5:12 Therefore, just as through one man sin entered the world, and death through sin, and thus death spread to all men, because all sinned— 13 (For until the law sin was in the world, but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14 Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over those who had not sinned according to the likeness of the transgression of Adam, who is a type of Him who was to come. 15 But the free gift is not like the offense. For if by the one man’s offense many died, much more the grace of God and the gift by the grace of the one Man, Jesus Christ, abounded to many. 16 And the gift is not like that which came through the one who sinned. For the judgment which came from one offense resulted in condemnation, but the free gift which came from many offenses resulted in justification. 17 For if by the one man’s offense death reigned through the one, much more those who receive abundance of grace and of the gift of righteousness will reign in life through the One, Jesus Christ.)

18 Therefore, as through one man’s offense judgment came to all men, resulting in condemnation, even so through one Man’s righteous act the free gift came to all men, resulting in justification of life. 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.

20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.​

So, here we see that the Law simply picked up where the Tree left off. Further, a couple of chapters earlier Paul states outright that "by the law is the knowledge of sin" (Romans 3:20) and then a couple chapter after he says, "I was alive once without the law, but when the commandment came, sin revived and I died." (Romans 7:9) Thus, the Law teaches the knowledge of good and evil but does not produce righteousness in men, only death - which is precisely the same result the Tree had with Adam.

Christ, through His righteous act, has undone the curse and, therefore, as you rightly point out, just as Adam was commanded not to partake of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, we are so commanded not to partake of the Law! They are two aspects of the same thing, two sides of the same coin.

No? What was written on the conscience of men....manifest in them? Was it not the eternal law that was later written in tablets of stone by the finger of God?
NO! Absolutely not! No way, no how!

The proof?

"Thou shalt not be a homo." is not in the Ten Commandments but everyone, including the homos themselves, knows it's a perverted sin.

Which harkens back to the purpose of the law, right?

My point was that there was a time when obedience to the law had a very great deal to do with whether one was righteous or not. Of course, no one could obey the law perfectly and so there has always been an element of grace through faith, even under the Dispensation of Law, but that should not be taken to mean that obedience to the law was in any way optional nor that such obedience didn't translate to righteousness. It absolutely was not optional and you were considered righteous to whatever extent you were obedient to it. Abraham was more righteous than most, for example, and David, though he sinned greatly, also repented greatly and was called "a man after God's own heart", an affectation not applicable to other poeple like the Sanhedrin of Jesus' time, for example.

But in Christ, there are no such distinctions made, for we are in Christ and we have NO STANDING before God in ourselves but are rather clothed in the righteousness of Christ Who is our ONLY standing.

And as such, the bottom line is....

If the Ten Commandments do not apply to Christ, they do not apply to you.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
How to Quote Posts

How to Quote Posts

You are not once saved always saved so you do not know you are sealed.

There is a "Reply With Quote" button below all posts in a thread. Click that and then add your response below the ending quote tag [/quote] shown in the post edit window that appears.

This way the reader may know to whom you are responding.

For longer posts in which you wish to interact, you can break up the quoted text by adding beginning and ending quote tags and then post your comments.

Example:

Here is your post above:
You are not once saved always saved so you do not know you are sealed.

Here is what your post would look like when I select "Reply With Quote" and I break it up in the post edit window while interspersing my own responses between the quoted sections:

[QUOTE="TestedandTried, post: 0"]You are not once saved always saved[/quote]

True. OSAS is a punctiliar approach versus perseverance of the saints from Scripture.

[QUOTE]so you do not know you are sealed.[/QUOTE]

OSAS usually leads to licentiousness thinking that once someone has said a prayer, answered an altar call, etc., they are saved and can then continue acting as they wish. Perseverance of the saints takes the warnings in Scripture about one's salvation seriously. These warnings are a means by which God stirs up the faithful such that they will persevere, thus achieving His ends.

Note how I manually added quote tags when breaking up the post. I then interacted with each section of the post. Also note that I leave the first quote tag untouched which shows your username and a numeric link to your original post. This is important.

For a long post with multiple quotes, you might simply replace any subsequent beginning quote tags— [QUOTE] —with the initial quote tag— [QUOTE="TestedandTried, post: 0"].

Using the special beginning quote tag frequently makes it clear who is being quoted in a long post or in a post with multiple quotes from multiple users.

All bbcodes available at this site are shown here:
http://theologyonline.com/misc.php?do=bbcode

If you use the Reply With Quote button the window that will open is a basic editor. At the bottom right is a "Go Advanced" button that will re-open the editor with many more formatting functions such that you do not need to manually enter bbcodes for formatting. That said, there is no button that allows one to select a portion of text and then have beginning and ending quote tags automatically added. You must do this manually or use this offline tool to format posts that can be copied and pasted later in the board's post edit window: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/bbeditor/

bbeditor is very handy tool for discussion boards where you are dealing with long posts, debates, etc.

Note from this link the magical bbcode I used to show the quote tags above without them being rendered (parsed): [noparse] [/noparse] ;) In fact if you quote this post you would see that to render those parsing tags I actually used the magic bbcodes to render the magic bbcodes! (In formal software development lingo this is known as a polymorphic function.)

Now, using the method above when you submit the content the result will appear as follows:

You are not once saved always saved

True. OSAS is a punctiliar approach versus perseverance of the saints from Scripture.

so you do not know you are sealed.
OSAS usually leads to licentiousness thinking that once someone has said a prayer, answered an altar call, etc., they are saved and can then continue acting as they wish. Perseverance of the saints takes the warnings in Scripture about one's salvation seriously. These warnings are a means by which God stirs up the faithful such that they will persevere, thus achieving His ends.

Now all we need is for @Knight to make a copy of these instructions in a TOL FAQ somewhere. ;)

AMR

Last edited: