The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay I have my 1st 3 pics. Just one more to go.

Anyone else besides Clete and I taking pics?? Come on folks we need other points on the map covered.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay I have my 1st 3 pics. Just one more to go.

Anyone else besides Clete and I taking pics?? Come on folks we need other points on the map covered.
Maybe a couple of folks drove out to the country to get really good pics, and we have to wait till they get home and download the pics.

(Does that keep the hope alive a little longer? :) )

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yeah! I was thinking that from the moment I snapped the 01:00 UCT photo last night. Although people should be careful about how long they have the Sun shining into their camera.

What do you think about starting an hour earlier and only continuing through to 03:00 UCT if we have someone in the Pacific time zone. Going two hours past Sun set only makes sense if there's someone taking pictures with a sky they can see.

Also, we should definitely do this again this fall on the next equinox. If we do, everyone, and I mean every single person, who participates will be taking pictures that are both centered on the Sun and pointing at 270° West, no matter how far North or South they happen to live. That will be a cool experiment and absolute iron clad, first person, proof that the Earth cannot possibly be flat nor the Sun nearby.

And, yes, I live in the Houston area.

Clete
Being in New Zealand, I can't help, can I?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay so here are today's 4 images - please click on them to enlarge them. The images are taken at 6PM, 7PM, 8PM and 9PM mountain time. This time I have centered the sun horizontally in each picture therefore I am no longer pointing due west. I admit these are not great. I'm getting better at this but it takes some practice. Even still there are some things we can learn from these images.

Here is the first image at 12amUTC or 6PM mountain time. This was before I had calibrated the sun within the app (it wasn't off by much but calibrating with the gyroscope feature makes it far more accurate). There are instructions on how to do that here. Note in this image the sun isn't actually in the shot. It's still too high in the sky with my camera pointed level at the horizon line.
View attachment 26396

My next image at 1amUTC or 7PM mountain time the sun comes into the picture and I have calibrated the app to accurately sync with the position of the sun. The sun is still well above the horizon line. This image is also bad because my fingers were partially in the frame which I couldn't see because the sun was very bright. This was my worst effort to date. :chuckle:
View attachment 26400

My next image is at 2amUTC or 8PM mountain time and the sun has just set which you can see in the image. In fact the sun is a tad below the horizon line which is marked by the Spyglass app.
View attachment 26402

And my final image is at 3amUTC or 9PM mountain time. It is almost completely dark and the sun is now well below the horizon line. While the image is a tad blurry due to the darkness the sun is exactly centered in the pic and I had my phone pretty level to the horizon line this time.
View attachment 26403

Just with these pictures alone I think there is some very damning evidence to the Flat Earth theory. But I'm gonna hold off on that for now. I want to see if any other pics come in.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Here's my pics for the evening of 5/8/18 from 00:00 - 03:00 UCT (7pm - 10pm local time)...

View attachment 26397
The Sun was blasting me right in the face and I couldn't see my screen hardly at all. As a result, the Sun is slightly off center but is at 282.9° and +12.5° above the horizon.

View attachment 26398
Sun is at 290.1° and +.1° above horizon

View attachment 26399
Sun is at 298.2° and -11.8° below horizon

View attachment 26401
Sun is at aprox. 308° and more than +20° below horizon (well off the bottom of the shot)

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Being in New Zealand, I can't help, can I?

Yes actually you could. Do it along with us and see what ya get! Use the Spyglass app if you can. But now you will have to wait for tomorrow. 12am, 1am, 2am, and 3am UTC is the time to shoot. Have the image landscape like mine with the horizon line centered vertically and the position of the sun (regardless if you can see it) positioned in the center horizontally.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
[MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION],

I suspect that you had the app set to use magnetic north rather than true north. Is that correct?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
No. I had that right. I just hadn't calibrated the sun. Did you do that yet? You have to turn on "Gyrocompass" to do it. Watch this video...

Take a look at this...

View attachment 26405

Then look at your photos and look at how far east your phone thinks North is from True North. As we say here in Texas, that just aint right.

I use this app nearly every day because I have to know which direction the house I'm inspecting faces and most of the neighborhood streets here run in any direction other than straight east/west or north/south. I've found that just telling to to use true north is the best way to get the thing to work right. You do that simply by going into settings and turning off the magnetic north toggle. You'll know you have it right when that tiny little plus sign is directly under North on the compass.

I notice that is sure has your Sun position nailed perfectly. Maybe both turning off magnetic north AND calibrating the Sun position is necessary to get the best data.

Clete

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Take a look at this...

View attachment 26405

Then look at your photos and look at how far east your phone thinks North is from True North. As we say here in Texas, that just aint right.

I use this app nearly every day because I have to know which direction the house I'm inspecting faces and most of the neighborhood streets here run in any direction other than straight east/west or north/south. I've found that just telling to to use true north is the best way to get the thing to work right. You do that simply by going into settings and turning off the magnetic north toggle. You'll know you have it right when that tiny little plus sign is directly under North on the compass.

I notice that is sure has your Sun position nailed perfectly. Maybe both turning off magnetic north AND calibrating the Sun position is necessary to get the best data.

Clete
Hmmm... I don't know. It shows magnetic north as being off.
View attachment 26406

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yes actually you could. Do it along with us and see what ya get! Use the Spyglass app if you can. But now you will have to wait for tomorrow. 12am, 1am, 2am, and 3am UTC is the time to shoot. Have the image landscape like mine with the horizon line centered vertically and the position of the sun (regardless if you can see it) positioned in the center horizontally.
That will be midnight to 3am, my time. :noid:

Edit. Wait, I can't count. That will be lunchtime to 3pm. :eek:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Hmmm... I don't know. It shows magnetic north as being off.
View attachment 26406

Yeah, I was playing with the settings some last night and now I'm not so sure either. If magnetic north is turned off then I'm sure it's all good.
The little x is pointing at Polaris rather than at true north. That has to be where the discrepancy is coming from. Regardless, where that little x is doesn't effect the information you're wanting either way.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I did an navigation course 15 years ago and we were told to compensate by 3 degrees because Magnetic North was moving. Link to more up to date information. https://gisgeography.com/magnetic-north-vs-geographic-true-pole/

The magnetic declination can be quite significant in some locations. If you live on the green line in the image below then you magnetic compass will point directly at the north pole. Each line on either side of the green line represents plus or minus 2° of declination. In addition, as you said, those lines are moving around as time goes by. The pic below, while based on a computer model, is basically accurate as of 2015.

For me, here in Houston, it's off by about -2° but for Knight over in Denver it's closer to -8°, while someone in the east will be off by +10° or more. From Washington state to Main there is more than a 30° swing in magnetic declination.

I wonder what the FE folks think about the magnetic field of the Earth?

View attachment 26407

Status
Not open for further replies.