The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Clete do you think we should center our pics based on where the sun is as opposed to due west? Especially if we are using Spyglass. Because I want to see where the sun is in relation to the horizon. What do you think??

So we would level our pic but then turn so the sun is directly in the center of the image (left and right) regardless of if it's in the sky or has set.

For instance... in your final pic you cannot see where the sun is. It must be off to the right too much.

Thoughts??

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Clete do you think we should center our pics based on where the sun is as opposed to due west? Especially if we are using Spyglass. Because I want to see where the sun is in relation to the horizon. What do you think??

So we would level our pic but then turn so the sun is directly in the center of the image (left and right) regardless of if it's in the sky or has set.

For instance... in your final pic you cannot see where the sun is. It must be off to the right too much.

Thoughts??
Might be abetter idea, and would help with trangulation.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Okay I got my 3 pics.
I missed the 2 uct by 11 minutes, 8:11 cst. I got the 1 uct - 7pm CST right on the dot. 3 UCT is darkness here in St. Louis at 9 pm CST 3 UCT so I don't know what good that one would do. I will look for that app and get the 1 am UCT and 2 am UCT but I still don't see any value in the 9 pm CST - 3 am UCT picture of darkness.
[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION] or [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION] - What's the name of that App? Sky View?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Thoughts??

Yeah! I was thinking that from the moment I snapped the 01:00 UCT photo last night. Although people should be careful about how long they have the Sun shining into their camera.

What do you think about starting an hour earlier and only continuing through to 03:00 UCT if we have someone in the Pacific time zone. Going two hours past Sun set only makes sense if there's someone taking pictures with a sky they can see.

Also, we should definitely do this again this fall on the next equinox. If we do, everyone, and I mean every single person, who participates will be taking pictures that are both centered on the Sun and pointing at 270° West, no matter how far North or South they happen to live. That will be a cool experiment and absolute iron clad, first person, proof that the Earth cannot possibly be flat nor the Sun nearby.

And, yes, I live in the Houston area.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I am in the Denver area. Here are my preliminary pics. I will do it again tomorrow with the Spyglass app. Plus it was really cloudy today and kinda hard to get a clear shot of the sun.

At 1UTC the sky to my west looked like this. The sun was well up in the sky but behind some clouds. (7:02PM Mountain time)
View attachment 26389

At 2UTC the sun had set and was no longer visible. But the sky was still about the same color. (8:02PM Mountain Time)
View attachment 26390

At 3UTC the sky had gone dark. This was about 8:58PM Mountain Time.
View attachment 26391

So that's pretty cool, really. You can see that the sky is lit up just about the same as in mine only one hour apart. Also, the sky darkens way too rapidly for it to be disappearing into the distance. You go from full daylight to near totally dark in well under two hours.

Your third one is cool with Venus showing through the clouds. You ought to move up onto the street tonight so that the street light is behind your camera. Either that or have someone hold something up (just out of camera view) that casts a shadow from the street light onto your camera lens. That'll kill that lens flare.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I missed the 2 uct by 11 minutes, 8:11 cst. I got the 1 uct - 7pm CST right on the dot. 3 UCT is darkness here in St. Louis at 9 pm CST 3 UCT so I don't know what good that one would do. I will look for that app and get the 1 am UCT and 2 am UCT but I still don't see any value in the 9 pm CST - 3 am UCT picture of darkness.
[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION] or [MENTION=595]Knight[/MENTION] - What's the name of that App? Sky View?

It's called Spyglass.

http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/

It has a lot of settings, not all of which are intuitive. You might need to fiddle with it to get it set up the way you want it.

Also, and this is IMPORTANT for the purposes of this experiment....

Everyone needs to have it set to point at TRUE NORTH not magnetic north.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It's called Spyglass.

http://happymagenta.com/spyglass/

It has a lot of settings, not all of which are intuitive. You might need to fiddle with it to get it set up the way you want it.

Also, and this is IMPORTANT for the purposes of this experiment....

Everyone needs to have it set to point at TRUE NORTH not magnetic north.
How do I get Spyglass to show up when I'm taking the pictures? How do I "set" it to point to true North when the sun is due West?

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
How do I get Spyglass to show up when I'm taking the pictures? How do I "set" it to point to true North when the sun is due West?

You just run the app and have it set so that it uses your camera instead of showing you a map, which I think is the default setting.

You can swipe left or right to change the color of the font so that it shows up nicely against the sky. I have mine on a nice orange color.

And, of course, your camera will be pointing toward the Sun, it'll be the compass that is "pointing" north. The point is that you want to go into settings and tell it to use true north rather than magnetic north. The magnetic compass in the phone is not very reliable to begin with and then, on top of that, anything near you that's made of metal will throw off the compass heading. In addition to that, the Earth's magnetic field is slightly different in nearly every location and so adds a needless variable. The true north setting, however, uses the gps signals and is way more steady, consistent and reliable (although still not perfect on the iPhone).

To take the photo, first you touch the screen and there will be a few icons come up at the lower left and right corners of the screen. Touching the highest icon on the right side of the screen will snap a screen shot.

I then email myself the photo. An iPhone will ask you how large you want the photo format to be. I pick "Large" which, on my iPhone 6s gives me a file that's about 1.3 megs. I then pull the image up on my PC and convert it to jpg format which drops the file size down to below 1 meg, which I then post on the forum via the "Insert Image" icon.

Clete

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
You just run the app and have it set so that it uses your camera instead of showing you a map, which I think is the default setting.

You can swipe left or right to change the color of the font so that it shows up nicely against the sky. I have mine on a nice orange color.

And, of course, your camera will be pointing toward the Sun, it'll be the compass that is "pointing" north. The point is that you want to go into settings and tell it to use true north rather than magnetic north. The magnetic compass in the phone is not very reliable to begin with and then, on top of that, anything near you that's made of metal will throw off the compass heading. In addition to that, the Earth's magnetic field is slightly different in nearly every location and so adds a needless variable. The true north setting, however, uses the gps signals and is way more steady, consistent and reliable (although still not perfect on the iPhone).

To take the photo, first you touch the screen and there will be a few icons come up at the lower left and right corners of the screen. Touching the highest icon on the right side of the screen will snap a screen shot.

I then email myself the photo. An iPhone will ask you how large you want the photo format to be. I pick "Large" which, on my iPhone 6s gives me a file that's about 1.3 megs. I then pull the image up on my PC and convert it to jpg format which drops the file size down to below 1 meg, which I then post on the forum via the "Insert Image" icon.

Clete
Well I have it so I can make sure I'm pointing correctly etc. I have it set to true North. They want $5.99 to let me take images/pictures with it so that's out. I'll try to take two, one at 7 pm CST and one at 8 pm CST. 9 pm CST is darkness, useless. But I'm on a hill, slightly above sea level and within that hill are higher hills. So I'm actually in a tiny valley within the hills of a larger hill. Do you guys still want the two shots from St. Louis?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Well I have it so I can make sure I'm pointing correctly etc. I have it set to true North. They want $5.99 to let me take images/pictures with it so that's out. I'll try to take two, one at 7 pm CST and one at 8 pm CST. 9 pm CST is darkness, useless. But I'm on a hill, slightly above sea level and within that hill are higher hills. So I'm actually in a tiny valley within the hills of a larger hill. Do you guys still want the two shots from St. Louis?
Just do your best.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Too cloudy here. Waste of time, IMO. I'm done talking about FE here anyway.
What??? Seriously???

You mock us, you spam the board with propaganda, and yet we still continue on granting you major points such as actual images of the earth as a sphere and this is how you repay us?

Okay... your loss.

I say we continue on. Patrick wimps out... no biggy. Hey Patrick don't expect any of us to take you the least bit serious from this point on.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay I have my first pic from tonight. I leveled my shot with Spyglass but this time I have the sun centered (left to right). I will take my remaining pics in this same fashion.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I just took my 01:00 UCT photo for this evening. I went ahead and took a 00:00 UCT photo as well. I'll wait until I've taken the 03:00 UCT photo and then will post them all at once.

I am centering the Sun and the horizon in the image, by the way.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I just took my 01:00 UCT photo for this evening. I went ahead and took a 00:00 UCT photo as well. I'll wait until I've taken the 03:00 UCT photo and then will post them all at once.

I am centering the Sun and the horizon in the image, by the way.
Awesome!

I have my first 2 pics as well. Once I get al 4 I will post them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.