Christ's Commandments

WeberHome

Re: Christ's Commandments

2John 1:8 . .Watch yourselves, that we might not lose what we have accomplished, but that you may receive a full reward.

The koiné Greek word for "lose" is apollumi (ap-ol'-loo-mee) which doesn't mean to lose as if stolen or misplaced, but rather, it means to lose something by its destruction like when people's homes were demolished in New Orleans by the hurricane Katrina.

Apparently it's okay if your successor wrecks what you've accomplished in The Lord because that will be on their head. Just make sure you yourself don't do anything to wreck it; and it doesn't really take all that much: a little adultery, a little immorality, a little fraud, a little embezzling, a little dishonesty, a little abuse of power, a little hypocrisy, a little dereliction of duty, a failure to honor promises and commitments; et al.

Take for example Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He started off as an okay Christian man ordained to serve Jesus Christ, and then deserted the sheep that Christ entrusted to his care and diverted his energies to political activism. King's pastoral work went abandoned and neglected; and he cheated on his wife too.

Moral of the story is: nobody is twisting anybody's arm to commit to serving Jesus Christ; but once the commitment is made: then they'd do well to stay the course and not get distracted.

"No one who puts his hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God." (Luke 9:62)

"As Christ's soldier, do not let yourself become tied up in the affairs of this life, for then you cannot satisfy the one who has enlisted you in his army." (2Tim 2:4)

Two things that Christ and his Father value very highly are integrity and loyalty. When those are someone's guiding lights; the likelihood of their bottom line with God showing a profit, instead of a loss, is greatly improved.
_

WeberHome

2John 1:10-11 . . If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds.

The greeting in view is the holy kiss mentioned in Rom 16:16, 1Cor 16:20, 2Cor 3:12, 1Thess 5:26, and 1Pet 5 :14. The holy kiss is reserved for brethren, not for outsiders.

Some have construed 2John 1:10-11 to mean believers are forbidden to respond to a knock on their door by Latter Day Saints and Jehovah's witnesses, or invite them in for a chat. That's not really what John's saying.

In his day, missionaries were put up in people's homes during their travels; thus assisting them in their mission. So then, if you greet cultists as brethren, and/or put them up for the night, or assist them in any way to accomplish their mission, then you become an accomplice; and that includes buying flowers from Moonies.
_

WeberHome

3 John 1:5-8 . . Beloved, thou doest faithfully whatsoever thou doest to the brethren, and to strangers; which have borne witness of thy charity before the church: whom if thou bring forward on their journey after a godly sort, thou shalt do well: because that for his name's sake they went forth, taking nothing of the Gentiles. We therefore ought to receive such, that we might be fellow helpers to the truth.

The "Gentiles" in this instance can be considered, for all intents and purposes, unbelievers because that's what most of the non-Israelites were in the Roman world of that day.

Paul and his contemporaries did not stoop to the despicable practice of selling tickets to their meetings, and/or passing the hat among the crowds that gathered to hear them. God forbid! No, just as the Old Testament's priests were supported by their constituents, so Christ prefers to draw support from his own rather than from strangers.
_

WeberHome

Jude 1:20-21 . . But you, beloved-- building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit --keep yourselves in the love of God, looking for the mercy of our Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life.

"keep yourselves in the love of God" is somewhat vague. It can indicate God's love for the believer, and/or it can indicate the believer's love for God. I tend to suspect it's both because Jesus said:

"If you love me, you will obey what I command" (John 14:15)

"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him" (John 14:21)

"As the Father has loved me, so have I loved you. Now remain in my love. If you obey my commands, you will remain in my love, just as I have obeyed my Father's commands and remain in his love." (John 15:9-10)

The Greek word translated "keep" is very ambiguous. One of it's meanings refers to safe-guarding and/or protecting so as to prevent loss.

It's impossible for a believer to stop God from caring for them, but by their conduct they can, and they often do, make it difficult for Him to actually like them.

Prayer in the Holy Spirit simply means to communicate with heaven via God's given method rather than one's own, or a method prescribed by one's denomination; i.e. man-made methods. The protocol has to be God-given or else your thoughts will just bounce off heaven's door like popcorn off the side of a brick house.

The mercy spoken of is one's resurrection to a permanent, immortal body; which is something that Jude says them that are sanctified by God the Father, and preserved in Jesus Christ and called should anticipate, viz: not just wish for, but instead fully expect. (Phil 3:20-21, 1John 3:2-3)
_

Last edited:

WeberHome

Jude 1:22-23 . . And on some have compassion, making a distinction; but others rescue with fright, pulling them out of the fire, hating even the garment defiled by the flesh.

Some Christians are offended by fright because it violates their concept of love. But fright can be a good thing if it's applied judiciously. For instance: it is just as wise to be afraid of God as it is wise to be afraid of cactus spines, a mule's kick, and/or a forest fire.

Christians neglecting to build themselves up on their most holy faith, to pray in the Holy Spirit, to keep themselves in the love of God, and to look for the mercy of their Lord Jesus Christ unto eternal life; are seriously off-reservation. Some are so far off-reservation that somebody needs to get in their face and confront them about their condition, even if it means becoming harsh, insensitive, and judgmental because stray Christians are also away from God's providence; and that is a very risky situation to be in.

Some off-reservation Christians can be stopped from destroying themselves; while others are too far gone. Of those with possibilities, counselors have to use a little God-given common sense as it isn't necessary to employ fright with everyone-- just the ones who are particularly difficult. Some people can be reasoned with, while others only understand fear and can be persuaded to move in the right direction only by literally lighting a fire under them.
_

WeberHome

Rev 14:6-7 . . And I saw another angel flying through the sky, carrying the everlasting gospel to preach to the people who dwell on the earth-- to every nation, tribe, language, and people. Fear God! he shouted. Give glory to Him! For the time has come when He will sit as judge. Worship Him who made heaven and earth, the sea, and all the springs of water!

The everlasting gospel is very elementary. Pretty much all it says is:

1• There's a supreme being.

2• He deserves respect.

3• There's a frightful reckoning looming on the horizon, and

4• The cosmos-- all of its forms of life, matter, and energy --is the product of intelligent design.

Giving "glory" to God simply indicates giving someone credit where credit is due; and "worship" basically just simply means admiration. People who disbelieve intelligent design of course do neither.

The everlasting gospel's points are as valid in our day as they will be in the days ahead; viz: the everlasting gospel is timeless.

-- The End --