Christ name is

CherubRam

Maybe there is an aspect of 'God' that is wholly beyond name, thought, idea, words or concept :)

The Nameless One :)

This original reality is just Self-aware,...or is the essence of Awareness Itself.

Let us also reflect that the same universal God-presence dwells in all, if this 'Deity' is truly omnipresent, and it is 'God' in us, that allows for our own self-conscious existence, enabling us to say "I AM".

[FONT=&quot]Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?”
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “The Living that Lives. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.”
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Bump for questions.

Hi CR,

What do you find significant of the 'name' revealed in Ex. 3:14? As I've noted previously, such merely denotes a special and unique condition of BEING and/or BECOMING, as the One who exists and the One who brings all into existence. So 'ehyeh' has both eternal 'existence' and 'creative potential'. However this quality of existence is also extended to some degree or dimensions to lower deities and human souls in the worlds of space and time, who are made in the image, likeness and creative power capacity of said 'God' :) - hence when we reflect on the divine name or 'presence/identity' in us....that 'name' is the foundation of our own identity as the creative offspring of YAH. - hence that divinity in us, is the 'I AM Presence'. - we could go other places with this of course, as being 'elohim' and sons of the Most High.

CherubRam

Hi CR,

What do you find significant of the 'name' revealed in Ex. 3:14? As I've noted previously, such merely denotes a special and unique condition of BEING and/or BECOMING, as the One who exists and the One who brings all into existence. So 'ehyeh' has both eternal 'existence' and 'creative potential'. However this quality of existence is also extended to some degree or dimensions to lower deities and human souls in the worlds of space and time, who are made in the image, likeness and creative power capacity of said 'God' :) - hence when we reflect on the divine name or 'presence/identity' in us....that 'name' is the foundation of our own identity as the creative offspring of YAH. - hence that divinity in us, is the 'I AM Presence'. - we could go other places with this of course, as being 'elohim' and sons of the Most High.

"I Am who I Am"
I Am is not in the Greek or Hebrew, it is only in the English. The NIV defines it as AIT. In Aramaic it is "The Living." Elohiym is a title, it is not a name; nor is the word God a name.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I Am....and....I Will Be......

I Am....and....I Will Be......

"I Am who I Am"
I Am is not in the Greek or Hebrew, it is only in the English. The NIV defines it as AIT. In Aramaic it is "The Living." Elohiym is a title, it is not a name; nor is the word God a name.

I would propose that not only is there an aspect of 'God' beyond 'name', but that 'ehyeh ashser ehyeh' is more of a description of Deity as it is an assumed 'proper' name, since the word describes the quality, nature of attributes of the one identified. What is more perplexing beyond some allegorical or analogy of 'naming' is that the Egyptians would know anything about 'ehyeh' (YHWH) by any nuance or variation, so as to somehow 'know' what 'God' sent Moses! So, maybe it doesnt really say much, except to be a literary device and some deeper esoteric meaning describing 'God' in general as it does being something special or necessary to the context of the immediate dialogue.

As theists we assume 'God' is 'The Being', the Source of all that IS or Will BE, of course, but what good that will do to help the Israelites in the dealing with Pharoh is more mysterious beyond a revelation of God's actions towards his people, that He is the Living ONE that will continue to bring forth, provide and be whatever HE needs to BE to his people, in perpetuity.

See:

THE NAME OF GOD AS REVEALED IN EXODUS 3:14

An explanation of its meaning
K J Cronin

I share the above only as an introductory offering of this particular passage, - my only critiques would be that it is a 'limited' study although comprehensive in its scope, and that I do not necessarily agree that the 'ego eimi' ( i am) passages in John refer to or even equate the hebrew 'ehyeh' in Ex. 3:14. We've contested this in the various 'Jesus is not God' threads and in 2 former threads on John 8:58 with Chandler, no longer extant. So, we see that 'ehyeh' and 'Yahwey' in their hebrew meaning connotes something slightly different in nuance than the greek term 'ego eimi', which is a common language term that any person can use as a 'self referential'. Therefore we would have to look at the pure meaning and intrinsic value of the hebrew divine name itself, in its direct context and within the whole Tanahk first, before adding greek, latin, english correlaries to it. All these other corresponding languages of course are translations meant to 'relate' the original, but one needs to go to the root.

CherubRam

I would propose that not only is there an aspect of 'God' beyond 'name', but that 'ehyeh ashser ehyeh' is more of a description of Deity as it is an assumed 'proper' name, since the word describes the quality, nature of attributes of the one identified. What is more perplexing beyond some allegorical or analogy of 'naming' is that the Egyptians would know anything about 'ehyeh' (YHWH) by any nuance or variation, so as to somehow 'know' what 'God' sent Moses! So, maybe it doesnt really say much, except to be a literary device and some deeper esoteric meaning describing 'God' in general as it does being something special or necessary to the context of the immediate dialogue.

As theists we assume 'God' is 'The Being', the Source of all that IS or Will BE, of course, but what good that will do to help the Israelites in the dealing with Pharoh is more mysterious beyond a revelation of God's actions towards his people, that He is the Living ONE that will continue to bring forth, provide and be whatever HE needs to BE to his people, in perpetuity.

See:

THE NAME OF GOD AS REVEALED IN EXODUS 3:14

An explanation of its meaning
K J Cronin

I share the above only as an introductory offering of this particular passage, - my only critiques would be that it is a 'limited' study although comprehensive in its scope, and that I do not necessarily agree that the 'ego eimi' ( i am) passages in John refer to or even equate the hebrew 'ehyeh' in Ex. 3:14. We've contested this in the various 'Jesus is not God' threads and in 2 former threads on John 8:58 with Chandler, no longer extant. So, we see that 'ehyeh' and 'Yahwey' in their hebrew meaning connotes something slightly different in nuance than the greek term 'ego eimi', which is a common language term that any person can use as a 'self referential'. Therefore we would have to look at the pure meaning and intrinsic value of the hebrew divine name itself, in its direct context and within the whole Tanahk first, before adding greek, latin, english correlaries to it. All these other corresponding languages of course are translations meant to 'relate' the original, but one needs to go to the root.

[FONT=&quot]Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
13 And Moses said to Elohiym, “Suppose I go to the siblings of the Israelites and say to them, 'The Elohiym of your forefathers has sent me to you,' and they ask me, 'What is His name?' What shall I say to them?”
14 And Elohiym said to Moses, “The Living that Lives. This is what you are to say to the Israelites: 'The Living has sent me to you.”
15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Yahwah means "Life Began."

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
The 'I AM'.......

The 'I AM'.......

And yahwah is one of the many interpretations of the appellation YHWH.

Indeed, but what is most important to understand to a student of the Bible is the actual 'name' of 'God', first used by the hebrews, the one HE reveals and Identifies himself AS.

I had a thread some years back called 'The Mighty I AM Presence',....where I expounded on the 'name' of 'God' that indwells every soul, that divine presence and identity of God within, which the soul joins with in the co-creative and evolutionary process of becoming more 'god-like'. I also explore the 'name' of 'God' as revealed to Moses in Ex. 3:14, the 'I AM' (ehyeh asher ehyeh)...using that as a metaphysical mirror in which we engage and RELATE to 'God'. So, my study of the divine name is more metaphysical, esoteric, universal in nature, as it relates to religious studies, theology and personal experience of conscious existence. In my former thread I went thru the 'ascended master schools' teaching on the 'I AM Presence' but carry this forward into the context of that 'life' and 'consciousness' that permeates all, especially the divinity or seed of immortality in the soul.

View attachment 25963

Since I've delved back into research on the divine name, I may make a new thread on the subject as my own, since I've not made many new threads lately and have been adding to so many other threads, as to divert my focus and attention on some special subjects I'd like to further expand upon, as to preside and moderate over.

In general, and universally...if 'God' is the First Source and Center of all reality, then this God's NAME would indeed be most essential, fundamental and important to KNOW, understand, recognize. - this includes his primary name, its meanings, value, attributes, qualities, character, nature, etc. (secondary 'names' would be various appellations describing different aspects of his character, functions, features).

The abbreviated form of God's name in the OT, is 'YAH', - we praise 'God' in the word 'Hallel-yah!'. Of course 'God' is just a word, and is NOT God's name. The title 'Lord/lord' is also NOT God's name. So, its important, if at all interested, to LEARN what the best rendition or approximation of God's name IS. We would also note that a 'name' sometimes also describes the nature, character, attributes of the person, so may be more or less 'personal'. But we shall dive more into that later......

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
More on the divine name

More on the divine name

Yahwah reveals His name to Moses
Exodus 3:13-15.

15 And Elohiym also said to Moses, “Say to the Israelites, 'Yahwah, the Elohiym of your forefathers; the Elohiym of Abraham, the Elohiym of Isaac and the Elohiym of Jacob has sent me to you.' That’s my name forever, the name by which I’m to be remembered, from generation to generation.”[/FONT][FONT="][/FONT]

Yahwah means "Life Began."

Adding to our former dialogue, yes.....YHWH carries with it the meaning of He who brings all things into being, into 'existence' (causes to be). So YHWH is the source, generator, begetter, progenitor or all things and beings. Naturally, the original Creator or all. - however, more notably, in this context of 'God' revealing his name or 'reminding' his people that he is the LORD (YHWH), the 'God' of their forefathers, he is not only affirming his own 'Self-existence' as LIFE itself, but the 'I WILL BE' aspect of creative intelligence, as a creative spirit,...since He will be all things that he wills TO BE to his people, and does so by fulfilling all his promises to them via his covenants with them. - this is the contextual emphasis of the passage.

On your rendition of the divine name as 'Yahwah', thats fine if you like that spelling, but most Bible translations that spell out the 'tetragrammaton' as 'Yahweh'. Of course using the 'Y' is preffered over using a 'J', since there was no 'J' in the alphabet generations ago, so out goes 'Jehovah' or 'Jehovawah', etc. Traditionally, I sometimes prefer the spelling 'Yahweh' (since I understand the essentials and dynamics of the name anyways. Some can be quite dogmatic about the exact spelling or pronounciation, getting into all the linguistics involved, so some variations are probable and possible, as long as the fundamentals of the name are recognized). - sure, you can dispense with the 'e' and render it 'Yahwah' instead of 'Yahweh' if you like, if its assumed it wasnt a part of the earlier grammar.

However,...some prefer 'Yahuah' (yah hoo ah), 'Yahawah', 'Yahuwah' or 'Yahowah'. (note these names have 3 syllables, being 'polysyllabic', having a more fluid compound melody to them). - whereas 'Yahweh' or 'Yahway' have 2 syllables (disyllabic). {just an interesting observation}

What is most important is the first part and abbreviated name of 'God' as 'YAH', and understanding that 'ehyeh asher ehyeh', denotes the existential and creative aspects of YHWH, as the 'I AM' and the 'I Will Be'.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Indeed, but what is most important to understand to a student of the Bible is the actual 'name' of 'God', first used by the hebrews, the one HE reveals and Identifies himself AS.

Let's say for the sake of discussion that Jesus knew the Father's name.

So what name did he suggest his followers use to address our Father?

Is there anything wrong with following his instructions?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
He who brings into being........

He who brings into being........

Let's say for the sake of discussion that Jesus knew the Father's name.

So what name did he suggest his followers use to address our Father?

Is there anything wrong with following his instructions?

All is theoritical, - of course we can research since we are ever learning :)

You have to go back to the original languages of the scriptures, the culture, phonetics, linguistic issues that help relate what is being communicated, contextually speaking.

Since the NT has come down to us in the greek,...you have to look at all references and names that Jesus called the Father in their greek form, and then see if there is or was a hebrew or aramaic equivalent, that is its assumed Jesus spoke in these languages. In any case,...the NT has been translated from the greek, into latin, then into english (thats at least 2 translation phases) ...so that passages and names are being 'transliterated'. ( all 'translations' suffer some kind of 'distortion').

If Jesus was a real Jew and well learned in the revelation of the Jewish scriptures, we assume he would have known the sacred name of God the Father, being the 'tetragrammaton' (YHWH). Would that be assumable? Whether that 'name' is found in the NT, is debatable on translation issues or what is available or limited in the NT as far as any carry-overs from the OT goes. As far as titles or relative terms go, Jesus called 'God' his 'Father' (Abba), but did he openly clearly refer to God his Father as YAH? - we'd need to research it out.

Again, it would seem important to know God's name, since his 'name' not only identifies his personality, but reveals something about his nature, character, attributes, etc. Here we refer to the tetragrammaton.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Again, it would seem important to know God's name, since his 'name' not only identifies his personality, but reveals something about his nature, character, attributes, etc. Here we refer to the tetragrammaton.

It seems simple to me.

Jesus' instructions:

"In this manner, therefore, pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.'" (Matthew 6:9)

I never did call my dad by his given name.

CherubRam

It seems simple to me.

Jesus' instructions:

"In this manner, therefore, pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be Your name.'" (Matthew 6:9)

[FONT=&quot]Praise, Exalt, and Proclaim His Name[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Exodus 34:5[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Then Yahwah came down in the cloud and stood there with him and proclaimed his name, Yahwah.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 Chronicles 16:8[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give praise to Yahwah, proclaim his name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; make known among the nations what he has done.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 34:3[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Glorify Yahwah with me; let us exalt his name together.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 68:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sing to God, sing in praise of his name, extol him who rides on the clouds; rejoice before him—his name is Yahwah.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 96:2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sing to Yahwah, praise his name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; proclaim his salvation day after day.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 105:1[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Give praise to Yahwah, proclaim his name;[/FONT][FONT=&quot] make known among the nations what he has done.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Psalm 148:13[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Let them praise the name of Yahwah, for his name alone is exalted; his splendor is above the earth and the heavens.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 12:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]In that day you will say: “Give praise to Yahwah, proclaim his name; make known among the nations what he has done, and proclaim that his name is exalted.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 47:4[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Our Redeemer—Yahwah of Host is his name— is the Holy One of Israel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Isaiah 52:6[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Therefore my people will know my name[/FONT][FONT=&quot]; therefore in that day they will know that it is I who foretold it. Yes, it is I.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Malachi 2:2[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you do not listen, and if you do not resolve to honor my name,” says Yahwah of Host, “I will send a curse on you[/FONT][FONT=&quot], and I will curse your blessings. Yes, I have already cursed them, because you have not resolved to honor me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Last Days.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zechariah 13:9[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This third I will put into the fire; I will refine them like silver and test them like gold. They will call on my name and I will answer them; I will say, ‘They are my people,’ and they will say, ‘Yahwah is our God.’”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
One night, long ago Jesus was facing a rather challenging situation.

What name did Jesus use?

"He went a little farther and fell on His face and prayed, saying, 'O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.'" (Matthew 26:39)

Jesus had enough respect for his father that he didn't address him by a personal name.

I see no reason we should not follow his example.

"Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, 'O My Father'..." (Matthew 26:42)

I suspect there is a word for father in every language so Hebrew is superfluous.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Holman Christian Standard Bible

Holman Christian Standard Bible

~*~*~

Hi all,

One of the more modern translations, the Holman Christian Standard Bible restores and translates the 'tetragrammaton' in the scriptures in at least 500 passages :) - It renders God's personal name as 'Yahweh'. I have no problems with the rendering, although anyone with their own research can 'render' and 'pronounce' the divine name in a way that is most tenable to them.

So I commend this committee for at least attempting to restore the name.

However, there is now a new updated version just called 'The Christian Standard Bible'(CSB) and they have dropped using the divine name, and have went back to the traditional rendering of REPLACING the 'name' with the 'titles', 'LORD' or 'God', etc. I find this interesting, and it just seems to support some kind of aversion or conspiratorial veering of using God's name. I dont quite understand what all the fuss is over using God's name, when the scriptures encourage, command, instruct his NAME to be proclaimed, glorified, exalted, etc.

HCSB (wiki article)

As you may know, if you're not happy with many of the modern translations that leave out God's name, there are many 'holy name' bible translations out there.

clefty

It seems simple to me.

Jesus' instructions:

But you knew his given name and if anyone asked who your father was you would use it yes? Kinda hard to return you to "daddy" or cash any check you got from him was signed "daddy"...your surname certainly is not "daddy"

note the instruction remains "hallowed be Your name" which does not necessarily mean never use it...

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
of course, on the other hand, it does not hurt to show respect to the Supreme Being.

Jesus instructed his followers to pray to our mutual Father.

And he prayed to our Father.

Paul said, "For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of sonship by whom we cry out, 'Abba, Father'."

Jesus said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven." (Matthew 5:16)

Glorify whom? Yahweh? Or Father?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
But you knew his given name and if anyone asked who your father was you would use it yes? Kinda hard to return you to "daddy" or cash any check you got from him was signed "daddy"...your surname certainly is not "daddy"

note the instruction remains "hallowed be Your name" which does not necessarily mean never use it...

YHWH is not a name, it's a state of being.

Yahweh is not a biblical name, it's a spurious interpretation of existing.

clefty

YHWH is not a name, it's a state of being.

Yahweh is not a biblical name, it's a spurious interpretation of existing.

He didn't build a house for His character or state of being or spurious interpretation of existence...

please don't take His Name in vain

clefty

I had a thread some years back called 'The Mighty I AM Presence',....where I expounded on the 'name' of 'God' that indwells every soul, that divine presence and identity of God within, which the soul joins with in the co-creative and evolutionary process of becoming more 'god-like'. I also explore the 'name' of 'God' as revealed to Moses in Ex. 3:14, the 'I AM' (ehyeh asher ehyeh)...using that as a metaphysical mirror in which we engage and RELATE to 'God'. So, my study of the divine name is more metaphysical, esoteric, universal in nature, as it relates to religious studies, theology and personal experience of conscious existence. In my former thread I went thru the 'ascended master schools' teaching on the 'I AM Presence' but carry this forward into the context of that 'life' and 'consciousness' that permeates all, especially the divinity or seed of immortality in the soul.

View attachment 25963

Since I've delved back into research on the divine name, I may make a new thread on the subject as my own, since I've not made many new threads lately and have been adding to so many other threads, as to divert my focus and attention on some special subjects I'd like to further expand upon, as to preside and moderate over.

In general, and universally...if 'God' is the First Source and Center of all reality, then this God's NAME would indeed be most essential, fundamental and important to KNOW, understand, recognize. - this includes his primary name, its meanings, value, attributes, qualities, character, nature, etc. (secondary 'names' would be various appellations describing different aspects of his character, functions, features).

The abbreviated form of God's name in the OT, is 'YAH', - we praise 'God' in the word 'Hallel-yah!'. Of course 'God' is just a word, and is NOT God's name. The title 'Lord/lord' is also NOT God's name. So, its important, if at all interested, to LEARN what the best rendition or approximation of God's name IS. We would also note that a 'name' sometimes also describes the nature, character, attributes of the person, so may be more or less 'personal'. But we shall dive more into that later......

I have come to believe His Name is a form of Onomatopoeia...that is the sound one makes during deep inhalation...it is telling that the first sound Adam makes is inhaling...thereby stating His creator's Name...Adam was given the task to name...for humans their use...his wife eve he called her was made from a bone that protected his ability to declare his Maker's name...(the rib protects the lungs) she was to help him declare His Name with every breath he took...HalleluYah...aaah...aaaaawesomeness the aaaah and awe of worship and understanding reason and pleasure...the awwww of compassion we inhale Him His spirit His

Add to this the "sha" root of salvation and you have Yahsha...His only begotten Son's name...ssshhh the sound of air exhaling...now we have the cycle...every time we breathe we say His Name...you declare your maker...and now you can do so with intention...aaaaahhhhsssshhhaaaaa

The breath of life...He breathed on the disciples...

El I Yah means god is Yah
El I sha means god is salvation

Yah + sha

Yah became salvation at the birth of His Son yahSha...

Let all that have breath give praise...HalleluYah

We are not to kill as it removes the ability of Him receiving praise...
We are not to take His Name in vain...that is breathe without purpose or intent