Christ name is

clefty

Are you saying the Jews were right to refer to God as Adonai so they wouldn't misuse his name?

How brilliant they were, what a great idea.

So if I avoid the use of yah I'll never profane his name, right?

Nope. Not at all. In fact jews were wrong idolatrous (false worship) to not pronounce or write His name whenever appropriate.

Writing His name on a perishable paper is no offense or taking it in vain. Taking His name in vain is literally carrying it written in stone from Sinai to Jerusalem and still living NOT in accordance to His Will, after Him His way...bringing worship and honor and glory for all He did/does for His people...that is taking His name in vain...or having it for naught

Avoid using Yah and you'll struggle saying HalleluYah or IsaiYah, or JeremiYah or EliYah etc.

Or saying the name of His Son...

The Septuagint translaters too may have followed with some agenda to make scripture more palatable for non jewish readers.

clefty

Greetings clefty, When Paul wrote to the Galatians and the Ephesians in Greek in the following verses, is there any evidence or suggestion that he used a different word for Jesus?
Galatians 1:1-3 (KJV): 1 Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead; 2 And all the brethren which are with me, unto the churches of Galatia: 3 Grace be to you and peace from God the Father, and from our Lord Jesus Christ,
Ephesians 1:1-3 (KJV): 1 Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2 Grace be to you, and peace, from God our Father, and from the Lord Jesus Christ. 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes there is evidence Paul used a different word for Jesus. Jesus is an English word and he wrote in greek which was later translated into latin and finally also English.

If I was writing in czech I would not call my czech brother-in-law John but Honza. Writing in English I might write the name John but won't as I want people to remember he is czech and John is not his name but Honza.

Paul was a jew and known as a jew but wrote in greek to other jews who spoke greek about another jew. Writing His name to these readers it was understood He was still a jew. And they would know what His given name was and its cultural context.

But I still run into christians that forget He was a jew and that He kept Torah and its Sabbaths, festivals, and kosher laws. As did Peter and Paul...and all of them asked us to do the same and watch out for false teachers and wolves in sheep clothing which would teach otherwise....

Understandably as for centuries selling to Europeans a superstitious Semitic desert god would be difficult indeed. (Oh and jews didnt want Europeans to embrace the OT Torah and claim for themselves its protections against usury and provision for debt forgiveness. No sirreee...they did not want to see Europeans as family...or as He taught in Him there is neither Jew nor Gentile)

Best pitch Him as a blond blue eyed greek speaking white dude...you gotta know your market. Keep the racket going.

CherubRam

Yahwah forms

In an effort to keep people from speaking the name of God, the true pronunciation of the Tetragrammaton was hidden by the Masoretes, when they added vowel points to the text. There are seven different ways they vowel pointed the Tetragrammaton to achieve their goal.

יְהוָֹה - Y'howah (ē - ĕ - hō - wä), example found in Genesis 3:14

יְהוָה - Y'hwah (ē - ĕ - wä), example found in Genesis 2:4

יֱהוִֹה - Yehowih (ē - ĕ - hō - wĭ), example found in Judges 16:28

יֱהוִה - Yehwih (ē - ĕ - wĭ), example found in Genesis 15:2

יְהוִֹה - Y'howih (ē - ĕ - hō - wĭ), example found in 1 Kings 2:26

יְהוִה - Y'hwih (ē - ĕ - wĭ), example found in Ezekiel 24:24

יֲהוָה - Yahwah (ē - ă - wä), example found in Psalm 144:15

The variation "Yahweh" is not one of the seven.

Last edited:

CherubRam

The bottom line is this, the Rabbi's arbitrarily changed the Hebrew language so the people of the world would not know God's name.

TrevorL

Greetings again clefty,
Yes there is evidence Paul used a different word for Jesus. Jesus is an English word and he wrote in greek which was later translated into latin and finally also English.
Yes I agree Paul did not write in English. Perhaps I was not altogether clear. The Greek that we now have for “Jesus” in Galatians 1:1-3, Ephesians 1:1-3 is different than the English, but our Jesus is based on the Greek, rather than the Hebrew. What I am asking is concerning what is claimed in this thread, that we should use the English Yahshuah (or something similar) which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Hebrew rather than the English Jesus which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Greek.

Kind regards
Trevor

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Greetings again clefty, Yes I agree Paul did not write in English. Perhaps I was not altogether clear. The Greek that we now have for “Jesus” in Galatians 1:1-3, Ephesians 1:1-3 is different than the English, but our Jesus is based on the Greek, rather than the Hebrew. What I am asking is concerning what is claimed in this thread, that we should use the English Yahshuah (or something similar) which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Hebrew rather than the English Jesus which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Greek.

Kind regards
Trevor
I try not to frustrate the gospel with language barriers. He will always be Jesus Christ to me.

TrevorL

Greetings again CherubRam,
Yahshuah or Yahshua is fine. We should keep his real name out of respect.
Do we have any evidence that when Paul wrote in Greek to the Galatians or Ephesians that he used Yahshuah or Yahshua?

Kind regards
Trevor

clefty

Greetings again clefty, Yes I agree Paul did not write in English. Perhaps I was not altogether clear. The Greek that we now have for “Jesus” in Galatians 1:1-3, Ephesians 1:1-3 is different than the English, but our Jesus is based on the Greek, rather than the Hebrew. What I am asking is concerning what is claimed in this thread, that we should use the English Yahshuah (or something similar) which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Hebrew rather than the English Jesus which is an attempt at, or equivalent to the Greek.

Kind regards
Trevor

Yes I believe we should. For reasons already given. Namely the direct link to His Father's name Yah.

Names matter and have meaning.

https://youtu.be/iU5KxXTxOws

clefty

I try not to frustrate the gospel with language barriers. He will always be Jesus Christ to me.

How is making the gospel more clear precise and accurate frustrating it?

Thankfully there were others willing to be frustrated to get the gospel from greek and latin and hebrew into your language.

And HalleluYah that even more were willing to be frustrated, killed even, to restore Him/His way from what the Church and its man made traditions would have us do.

"...Choose ye this day whom ye would serve..."...Joshua 24:15 not irony that Yahushua asks of us the same...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
How is making the gospel more clear precise and accurate frustrating it?

Thankfully there were others willing to be frustrated to get the gospel from greek and latin and hebrew into your language.

And HalleluYah that even more were willing to be frustrated, killed even, to restore Him/His way from what the Church and its man made traditions would have us do.

"...Choose ye this day whom ye would serve..."...Joshua 24:15 not irony that Yahushua asks of us the same...
Yeah, I don't try to interpret what has already been interpreted by very smart people who came before me. Do you think by "studying" the Greek or Hebrew is going to give you a "better" interpretation than has already been done? His name in America is Jesus Christ - learn it

I focus on the gospel, I use the King James Bible, I don't play genius and "study" other languages, that's asinine

daqq

Most all scholars agree that God's name is Yah.

<snip>

Jesus does not egual Yah.

Yah said that His name is in him (Christ.) Christ said that Yah’s name is in him.

Why do we even have English translations if YHWH wants everyone to speak Hebrew?

So if I avoid the use of yah I'll never profane his name, right?

Yah doesn't want everyone to speak hebrew...

Yah

Yah (Hebrew: יהּ‎‎ Yah) is a short form of Yahwah (in consonantal spelling YHWH Hebrew: יהוה‎‎, called the Tetragrammaton), the proper name of God in the Hebrew Bible. This short form of the name occurs 50 times in the text of the Hebrew Bible, of which 24 form part of the phrase "Halleluyah".

Who told you all that it was okay to shorten the Name of the Father to "Yah"? Do you suppose that is what Moses did with the name of the Father? And the Psalmists? And Isaiah? It appears you all have made a faulty assumption concerning the usage of the name Yah in the scripture. Paul explains it and boldly proclaims just WHO exactly Yah is by quoting from various Tanach passages which can really only be understood one way by the contexts. Yah is ever in the bosom of the Father, (at the right hand side).

tetragrammaton.png

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?124432-Does-the-Father-know-evil/page3

It does not matter what the "majority of scholars" believe or agree upon when they cannot even agree on the writings of Paul, (and if they actually understood what he says they would already have understood this also).

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
His name in America is Jesus Christ - learn it

I focus on the gospel, I use the King James Bible, I don't play genius and "study" other languages, that's asinine

I'm not convinced any of the variations of the sacred names are true.

I think people attempt to see how many variations of YHWH they can create.

I'm waiting for the pure language Zephaniah refers to.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I'm not convinced any of the variations of the sacred names are true.

I think people attempt to see how many variations of YHWH they can create.

I'm waiting for the pure language Zephaniah refers to.
Does it really matter if any of the variations ate "true"? We have language and words, they mean what they mean. We aren't meant to have the pure language yet.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Does it really matter if any of the variations ate "true"? We have language and words, they mean what they mean. We aren't meant to have the pure language yet.

It doesn't matter to me. I believe God understands English just fine.

I think sacred names are a perversion of scripture.

Besides, God is telepathic and telekinetic.

clefty

Who told you all that it was okay to shorten the Name of the Father to "Yah"? Do you suppose that is what Moses did with the name of the Father?
not sure...they changed it to GOD or LORD or something else

And the Psalmists?
Psalms 68:4 NKJV
And Isaiah?
Isaiah 12:2 NKJV

It appears you all have made a faulty assumption concerning the usage of the name Yah in the scripture. Paul explains it and boldly proclaims just WHO exactly Yah is by quoting from various Tanach passages which can really only be understood one way by the contexts. Yah is ever in the bosom of the Father, (at the right hand side).
Yah is the Father.

It does not matter what the "majority of scholars" believe or agree upon when they cannot even agree on the writings of Paul, (and if they actually understood what he says they would already have understood this also).

Believe or agree...lol...scholars have said much as the Church has done much to alter change and counterfeit in favor of man's tradition...that is why we study and share...please continue to do so

clefty

Yeah, I don't try to interpret what has already been interpreted by very smart people who came before me.
well then feel free to ignore the 500+ years of the reformation...a lot of burnings and blood could have been spared had they taken your attitude to this and just went along with what smarter people before them had interpreted...

Do you think by "studying" the Greek or Hebrew is going to give you a "better" interpretation than has already been done?
yup...and you are lucky to even be able to read and study because it is in your language...

His name in America is Jesus Christ - learn it
I did learn it...and learned all about Him/His way...found out about His Sabbath which most of these learned interpreters insist is Sunday...HalleluYah that I was able to study for myself and not just "go along to get along"

fine...suit yourself...explains a lot

and by their fruits I guess...

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
well then feel free to ignore the 500+ years of the reformation...a lot of burnings and blood could have been spared had they taken your attitude to this and just went along with what smarter people before them had interpreted...

yup...and you are lucky to even be able to read and study because it is in your language...

I did learn it...and learned all about Him/His way...found out about His Sabbath which most of these learned interpreters insist is Sunday...HalleluYah that I was able to study for myself and not just "go along to get along"

fine...suit yourself...explains a lot

and by their fruits I guess...
Where's your fruit? Go study the Greek, maybe you'll find something brand new.