Please help me interpret Genesis 1:27

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
All men and women are more or less masculine and feminine. The bible repeatedly states that God is a male.

God creates, rather than gives birth. We should recognize this is why we use 'He' in reference to God.

and yes, to those who feel this thread begs silly notions about the nature of God.

CherubRam

Right so until that unification we are not whole.

Sent from my iPhone using TOL
[FONT=&quot]John 17:11[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I will remain in the world no longer, but they are still in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, protect them by the power of your name,(Yah) the name you gave me, (Yahshua) so that they may be one as we are one. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 17:21[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]that all of them may be one, Father, just as you are in me and I am in you. May they also be in us[/FONT][FONT=&quot] so that the world may believe that you have sent me.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]John 17:22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one—[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]We are all called to be in unity with them.[/FONT]

God's Truth

Right so until that unification we are not whole.

We are not just flesh we also have a spirit. Male and female are whole without getting married, for Jesus even says it is alright. Male and female must come together to multiply. That is about the flesh not the spirit.

God's Truth

Would you be happy to call God, 'the Parent' rather than, 'the Father'?

So all the masculinity and femininity in nature is purely for procreation? On Earth as in Heaven; does that not apply here?

I put it that we have much to learn about the differences between men and women, as it will help us see qualities of the soul/spirit.

God calls Himself 'Father', so that is what I would rather call Him.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Genesis 1:27New International Version (NIV)

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

I have been told that it is blasphemy to say that Our Creator God has a female aspect.

So I am stuck, how can I interpret this scripture on the very first page of the Bible?
It’s true that it’s sinful to think of God wrongly (e.g. The Shack). Ex 20:1-4.

See:

Ge 1:26-27 Morris

Lon

I have been told that it is blasphemy to say that Our Creator God has a female aspect.

So I am stuck, how can I interpret this scripture on the very first page of the Bible?

To me this is core scripture, it tells us about ourselves and God. It is foundational, upon which all further knowledge will sit on.
You seem ignorant of feminist political agenda. It is important that you understand:
1) Politics has nothing to do with scripture. Scripture has some to do with politics, but you cannot change God's Word based on preference or whim.
2) Because the Word of God is unchanging, it resists the feminist intrusion upon its pages. In fact 'femininity' itself is assailed by so-called feminist movements such that even what you are suggesting is the opposite of what you'd want to see in scripture, and so, back to concern #1
3) There have been efforts to change scripture to refer to God as 'she.' It is all politically and 'sensibility' driven rather than spiritually driven or theologically understood. It is 'casting God in our image' rather than being remade in His image. Once we do that, "God" is simply our preferences individually and sociologically. Demi Lovato came out saying "My God is not opposed to gays." She called that right: "Her." God is an afterthought and meaningless to her statement.
4) We are to be molded by scripture, not 'mold scripture to fit our fancy, whim, or expectation.' Some use Susan B. Anthony's quote that you should suspect any who give God's verdict because it looks like their own. This should be expected of one who is being molded by scripture, however. For me, Susan B Anthony's concern is secondary, like trying to figure out every cult. It is actually better to read one's bible and know truth than to be trying to put out all heretical fires.
5) The BIGGEST problem with trying to cast God as a 'she' are these: 1) He never refers to Himself that way. 2) All scriptures show females as subservient to God and husband. God is subservient to no one but rather preeminent.

.: Therfore, this is why it is considered 'blasphemy' on TOL to relegate God to a subservience position. The Lord Jesus Christ did take on the nature of a Servant, but you've seen his ministry if you've read the Gospels. At no time was He less than masculinity. -Lon

SonOfCaleb

That in Gen 1 they are created together, in the image of God but in Gen 2 it is altogether different.

Which is truer?

They were not created at the same time.

Adam was created first and after an unknown period of time Eve was created. Genesis chapter 1 is more of a summary of all the creative days. Chapter 2 goes into further detail on mankind, which is logical as the sequence of events from the creation which culminated in the creation of Adam and Eve and their subsequent sin and rebellion likely explains why God (Moses the author) went into further detail in chapter 2 as this is a logical break down of events. Mankind of course being the pinnacle of the creative works.

Thus it not a case of which is truer but merely how Moses recorded the events in their relative sequences and supporting context.

Lon

God creates, rather than gives birth. We should recognize this is why we use 'He' in reference to God.

▲This▲ None of us are anti-feminist. Even politically, we aren't anti-feminist. Rather feminists are misnomers: They are actually against wanting to fulfill the role of mother and help-meet. That's 'anti-' feminism.

stephencbh

BANNED
Banned
They were not created at the same time.

Adam was created first and after an unknown period of time Eve was created. Genesis chapter 1 is more of a summary of all the creative days. Chapter 2 goes into further detail on mankind, which is logical as the sequence of events from the creation which culminated in the creation of Adam and Eve and their subsequent sin and rebellion likely explains why God (Moses the author) went into further detail in chapter 2 as this is a logical break down of events. Mankind of course being the pinnacle of the creative works.

Thus it not a case of which is truer but merely how Moses recorded the events in their relative sequences and supporting context.

You don't believe there was a time after Gen 1 was written and before Gen 2 was?
Put yourself in that time, how do you interpret Gen 1:27?

I don't suppose you think Moses wrote the whole Bible, surely he was just putting the historical records together.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Calling God female or having female aspects has never been tolerated on this forum. We are not going to start now. I will leave this thread up for now since you have been given very sound advice in it. Please take it to heart. This doctrine of yours is a very serious error. Sexual reproduction has nothing to do with being in the Image of God. Animals reproduce sexually. Humans are created male and female so they can multiply. When we enter the spiritual realm there will no longer be that need to multiply. In Heaven there won't be sex or sex organs. God created things. He didn't procreate. Big difference. Eternal beings don't have a need to procreate.

CherubRam

Calling God female or having female aspects has never been tolerated on this forum. We are not going to start now. I will leave this thread up for now since you have been given very sound advice in it. Please take it to heart. This doctrine of yours is a very serious error. Sexual reproduction has nothing to do with being in the Image of God. Animals reproduce sexually. Humans are created male and female so they can multiply. When we enter the spiritual realm there will no longer be that need to multiply. In Heaven there won't be sex or sex organs. God created things. He didn't procreate. Big difference. Eternal beings don't have a need to procreate.

That is an interesting thought saying that we will be sexless. What do you have to offer to support that?

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
That is an interesting thought saying that we will be sexless. What do you have to offer to support that?

The concept man was created from dust, the idea that man was created an organic being. It is all said in scripture.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

We will not be set up for procreation. I doubt if we will have any systems for procreation.
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. Matthew 22:30

oatmeal

Thank you.

What do you think about Mark 10:8 the 2 becoming one flesh?

Great question, one that puzzled me as well.

What I have been taught about that (which my background gives me every reason to believe), is that "one flesh" is not referring to having sexual intercourse, but learning to

1. serve God together harmoniously with scripture as their instruction

2. blend and adjust to your spouse who has different parents, upbringing, social background, culture, beliefs and becoming as one person.

oatmeal

Genesis 1:27New International Version (NIV)

27 So God created mankind in his own image,
in the image of God he created them;
male and female he created them.

To me this is core scripture, it tells us about ourselves and God. It is foundational, upon which all further knowledge will sit on.

It is essential to note that in I Thessalonians 5:23 we learn that a believer is spirit and soul and body.

And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

and that in Isaiah 43:7 we learn that God not only created man but also formed and made him

Even every one that is called by my name: for I have created him for my glory, I have formed him; yea, I have made him.

The body was formed of the dust of the ground, the soul was made (from what already was created earlier) and the spirit was created.

That is the complete human being, body and soul and spirit

After Adam and Eve sinned and were ejected from the garden, all they had was body and soul, they lost their spirit, there only spiritual access to God.

They died that day for losing one third of your being, the most important part is death. It would be tantamount to losing their heads. the heart might beat a couple more times, but it is death.

In the OT we see certain believers with the spirit "upon" them, but it was not a permanent part of them. They could lose it. David was concerned about losing it in Psalm 51:11 Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Jesus Christ made access to spirit available as part of the gift of eternal life/salvation/righteousness/faith/holy spirit. We have as much access to God as Adam and Eve originally had. But our case it is permanent, for it is seed, incorruptible seed. I Peter 1:23

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
What I have been taught about that (which my background gives me every reason to believe), is that "one flesh" is not referring to having sexual intercourse...

"Or do you not know that he who is joined to a harlot is one body with her?" (1 Corinthians 6:16)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
After Adam and Eve sinned and were ejected from the garden, all they had was body and soul, they lost their spirit...

Separation of spirit and body is death.

When Jesus yielded his spirit to the Father he died.

CherubRam

We will not be set up for procreation. I doubt if we will have any systems for procreation.
For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven. Matthew 22:30
I find in scripture that the messengers are called men and women. Scriptures also say we will recognize each other. I think we will have to wait and see what kind of bodies we will have.

Genesis 18:2
Abraham looked up and saw three men standing nearby. When he saw them, he hurried from the entrance of his tent to meet them and bowed low to the ground.

Zechariah 5:9
Then I looked up—and there before me were two women, with the wind in their wings! They had wings like those of a stork, and they lifted up the basket between heaven and earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.