Is Naughty Language Sinful?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Can anybody provide scriptural support for the contention that using the F-word is evil?

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Can anybody provide scriptural support for the contention that using the F-word is evil?

There are passages that people would use... but they are talking about a deeper matter. Like all works based judgments of flesh... people like to store up a list of do's and don'ts to correct others with and profess holiness.

I, personally have worked in the oil field and was in the service. Just saying... God knows the words that I think... thus I'm not hiding it from anyone. I have even used this word during witness... yup... the time was appropriate.

I told a young man that He "thought" he was an atheist and he "thought" he was saying **** God. But, I told him he was really saying **** the falsely conveyed idea of God. I told him he correctly was saying **** religion.

He looked at me in shock. I then told him that God is every bit as mad at religion as he was. I told Him that God did away with religion and I could show Him in scripture where men of God expressed the same sentiment. I showed him where God calls people that falsely judge and push a fake form of Him on others... whores. I showed him where Paul said he wished the judaizers that pushed works (circumcision) of the flesh should go ahead and keep on cutting until they cut their manhood off. I showed him where Elijah scorned the prophets of ba'al with sarcasm and wit. In actual manuscripts Elijah insinuates that ba'al might be "covering his feet"... so he was too busy to help at the moment. The implications of the words he was using are pretty clear and comical.

I showed him where prostitutes, whore mongers and adulterous people were in the very lineage of Jesus.

Then... I dropped the gospel on him and showed him where Jesus drank and ate with sinful people!

By the grace of God he was baptized and gave his life to Jesus. 2 weeks later I saw him again. He was surrounded by religious people and the only thing he could say to me was that I ought not use that word when I witness. I managed to use that word in a funny way that made him laugh and realize that he was becoming what he had rejected for his whole life.

He smiled and said... I get it... it's about the heart and Jesus and not us.

That boy went on to bring many of his friends to Jesus. This is my opinion on the matter, There is a time and place for everything. If I were to say that word in front of my mother... welll...free ticket to the moon. Rotfl.

- EE

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It is more the intent behind the words and not the words themselves. What are considered 'dirty' words today were normal words at a earlier time. Still words can cause offense to a weaker brother. Behind the screen it is hard to tell the intent behind words. That is why the forum rules on profanity and implied profanity are what they are.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
The [E-_-G]ubar-word (carefully not implying profanity) is one of those words with multiple definitions in the dictionary. They are each homonyms. Which homonym do you mean? Personally there's a line for me between using the homonym that means coitus, and the homonym that is used as an interjection or gerund.

daqq

The passages which speak of the conscience are going to be where you will find support because your question concerns a particular word, and therefore the question is in a cultural context, (that particular word did not exist in the first century but no doubt there was and is an equivalent), and therefore your conscience, if working properly, ought to dictate whether you should use that particular word or not. My conscience tells me, no, I should not use that word, and for that I do have support from quite a few passages in scripture. :)

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
It is more the intent behind the words and not the words themselves. What are considered 'dirty' words today were normal words at a earlier time. Still words can cause offense to a weaker brother. Behind the screen it is hard to tell the intent behind words. That is why the forum rules on profanity and implied profanity are what they are.

Not a shock here... because it's you.... but... well "worded".

:thumb:

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
The passages which speak of the conscience are going to be where you will find support because your question concerns a particular word, and therefore the question is in a cultural context, (that particular word did not exist in the first century but no doubt there was and is an equivalent), and therefore your conscience, if working properly, ought to dictate whether you should use that particular word or not. My conscience tells me, no, I should not use that word, and for that I do have support from quite a few passages in scripture. :)

Big shocker, here.

:D

I know the exact passages you would quote too. Do you quote; "do you not know your bodies are are the temple of God" to teach people how to "be" holy?

Spitfire

Romans 12:14 - Bless them that persecute you: bless, and curse not.

James 3:8-10 - But the tongue no man can tame, an unquiet evil, full of deadly poison. By it we bless God and the Father: and by it we curse men, who are made after the likeness of God. Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.

Luke 6:45 - A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good: and an evil man out of the evil treasure bringeth forth that which is evil. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

Matthew 12:33-38 - Either make the tree good and its fruit good: or make the tree evil, and its fruit evil. For by the fruit the tree is known. O generation of vipers, how can you speak good things, whereas you are evil? for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. A good man out of a good treasure bringeth forth good things: and an evil man out of an evil treasure bringeth forth evil things. But I say unto you, that every idle word that men shall speak, they shall render an account for it in the day of judgment. For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

daqq

Big shocker, here.

I know the exact passages you would quote too. Do you quote; "do you not know your bodies are are the temple of God" to teach people how to "be" holy?

Where do you get such ideas as you attribute to me? Where did I say I am here "to teach people how to "be" holy"? I simply answered the OP question from what I know, and from what I have read from the writings of Paul; and I spoke of the conscience, which Paul speaks much about. Where do you see anything about the conscience in the passage you quoted, "do you not know your bodies are are the temple of God"?? I see nothing there about the conscience.

Do you not know that the conscience is likened to a garment? If your conscience is defiled then your garment is defiled because that is the analogy: are we not admonished by the Master and his apostles to keep our garment spotless? (cf. Jude 1:23, Rev 16:15). According to my doctrine as many as have sinned without Torah shall also perish without Torah; and as many as have sinned in the Torah shall be judged by the Torah, for not the hearers of the Torah are just before Elohim, but the doers of the Torah shall be justified: for when the nations, which have not the Torah, do by nature the supernal things contained in the Torah; those not having the Torah are a law unto themselves, which show forth the work of the Torah having been written in their hearts: their own conscience jointly testifying like two witnesses, in the day wherein Elohim shall judge the secrets of men, by the Master, Meshiah, according to my gospel. And the "books" of the mind shall be opened in that day; your own thoughts being your own Accuser, (or else excusing you). Elohim is the Great Psychologist over all the so-called psychologists: no one is going to outsmart Him because these things are within the very nature of our creation, and those having a clear conscience would never even think that they could outsmart Him; but those with a defiled conscience or a seared conscience, (as if like a hot iron on a ruined garment), sure seem to think they can outsmart Him. :chuckle:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Homonyms divide between words that are pronounced the same but spelled differently (homophones), those that are spelled the same but pronounced differently (homographs), and words that are both spelled the same and sound the same (arguably "true homonyms"). The common factor though is that there are two or more truly distinct words with distinct meanings, and that naturally can lead to confusion caused by the ambiguity. The sna[E-_-G]u-word (carefully not implying profanity) is a homonym. For instance, [E-_-G]ubar and sna[E-_-G]u are neologisms from the WWII era and the word implied there by these acronyms is not the vulgar word that means coitus.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER

Paul said, "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29)

Our words should impart edification and grace.

Epoisses

Whatever is not of faith is sin. If you believe the F-word is a sin then for you it is a sin. If you believe like the apostle Paul that all things are lawful then you know it's not a sin but probably still won't use it so as not to offend all the cry babies!

ok doser

There are passages that people would use... but they are talking about a deeper matter. Like all works based judgments of flesh... people like to store up a list of do's and don'ts to correct others with and profess holiness.

I, personally have worked in the oil field and was in the service. ....

i was thinking the same thing today - my son's in the service and many of the students in my classes are young ex-service members - our local economy is driven by the 10th mountain division paycheck

while their language is often coarse, i take it in stride knowing their background

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
i was thinking the same thing today - my son's in the service and many of the students in my classes are young ex-service members - our local economy is driven by the 10th mountain division paycheck

while their language is often coarse, i take it in stride knowing their background

If I didn't use certain vernacular every other word in service... people would scratch their head and look at me like I spoke another language.

All Respect and Blessings in our TriUne Savior,

- EE

Evil.Eye.<(I)>

BANNED
Banned
Homonyms divide between words that are pronounced the same but spelled differently (homophones), those that are spelled the same but pronounced differently (homographs), and words that are both spelled the same and sound the same (arguably "true homonyms"). The common factor though is that there are two or more truly distinct words with distinct meanings, and that naturally can lead to confusion caused by the ambiguity. The sna[E-_-G]u-word (carefully not implying profanity) is a homonym. For instance, [E-_-G]ubar and sna[E-_-G]u are neologisms from the WWII era and the word implied there by these acronyms is not the vulgar word that means coitus.

Your four letter wisdom is astounding! I feel stupid right now. You, sir, are a word Jedi.

Last edited:

ok doser

Murder is EVIL. 4 letter words are NOT NICE.

in this particular case, enabling the murder of children was deemed "tragically wrong" while using the F-bomb was "evil"

makes your head spin, don't it? :dizzy:

Paul said, "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearers." (Ephesians 4:29)

Our words should impart edification and grace.

this is one of the verses i was looking for (pressed for time this morning)

how do we define "corrupt"?

the f-word is deemed (at the moment) to be vulgar, but many words change their acceptance levels with time - the current generation will probably not see it as objectionable when they're our age