It's "Catholic Church" not "RCC"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
In this forum you will often see the acronym RCC tossed about. Sometimes it is done in innocence, but very often it is done out of malice by people who know better.

The Catholic Church is the "Catholic Church", not the Roman Catholic Church. Within the Catholic Church, there are many "Rites": The Maronite Rite, the Syriac Rite, the Chaldean Rite, the Byzantine Rite, and many many other "Rites" or Churches, and also included is the Latin Rite, or "Roman" rite if you will. The Roman Catholic Church is a part of the Catholic Church, but that is all.

What all these Churches - or "Rites" - have in common is doctrine, and submission to the Pope as the Successor of Peter and earthly head of the Church. Not all Catholics are "Latin Rite" Catholics though, and some Catholics can find it rather offensive when the Church is continually referred to as the RCC.

Now in America, its true that most Catholics are Latin Rite (Roman Catholic) but many are not. But if you go to some other countries you'll find that most Catholics are NOT Roman Catholics.

What does this say:

It says "Catechism of the Catholic Church". It does not say "Catechism of the Roman Catholic Church". That is an important point to remember.

Quote:
RITES

A Rite represents an ecclesiastical, or church, tradition about how the sacraments are to be celebrated. Each of the sacraments has at its core an essential nature which must be satisfied for the sacrament to be confected or realized. This essence – of matter, form and intention – derives from the divinely revealed nature of the particular sacrament. It cannot be changed by the Church. Scripture and Sacred Tradition, as interpreted by the Magisterium, tells us what is essential in each of the sacraments (2 Thes. 2:15).

When the apostles brought the Gospel to the major cultural centers of their day the essential elements of religious practice were inculturated into those cultures. This means that the essential elements were clothed in the symbols and trappings of the particular people, so that the rituals conveyed the desired spiritual meaning to that culture. In this way the Church becomes all things to all men that some might be saved (1 Cor. 9:22).

There are three major groupings of Rites based on this initial transmission of the faith, the Roman, the Antiochian (Syria) and the Alexandrian (Egypt). Later on the Byzantine derived as a major Rite from the Antiochian, under the influence of St. Basil and St. John Chrysostom. From these four derive the over 20 liturgical Rites present in the Church today.​

source: Catholic Rites and Churches

Personally, I would appreciate it if peopler referred to me as a Catholic, and my Church as the Catholic Church. It would be the respectful thing to do since nobody here really know what Rite me or other Catholics here actually are.

Last edited by a moderator:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Is the Catholic church the church Paul referred to as the church of God?

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
Is the Catholic church the church Paul referred to as the church of God?

There is One Christ, One Faith, One Baptism according to the Bible. So since there is One Body, there is only One Church. Therefore, my answer is that the Catholic Church is the Church of God.

As for your reference, you did not state the scripture number so I do not know the answer, although I sense you were setting a Pharisaical trap for me..

beameup

Constantine was the Roman Emperor and oversaw the creation of the Roman State Religion in 325 A.D.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
What all these Churches - or "Rites" - have in common is doctrine, and submission to the Pope as the Successor of Peter and earthly head of the Church.

It is an abomination in the sight of God for the true Church to accept another Head other tham Jesus Christ.

However as the RCC is not a true Church then that is the only reason that wrath has not come upon you.

but when your church head, in league with the Jews who reject Christ, start persecuting the real Church again then you are in for a very hard time. (the unbelieving Jews will persecute their own believing in Christ people, as the Catholics will their own)

Rev 8:10 And the third angel sounded, and there fell a great star from heaven, burning as it were a lamp, and it fell upon the third part of the rivers, and upon the fountains of waters;
Rev 8:11 And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.

Rev 9:1 And the fifth angel sounded, and I saw a star fall from heaven unto the earth: and to him was given the key of the bottomless pit.
Rev 9:2 And he opened the bottomless pit; and there arose a smoke out of the pit, as the smoke of a great furnace; and the sun and the air were darkened by reason of the smoke of the pit.
Rev 9:3 And there came out of the smoke locusts upon the earth: and unto them was given power, as the scorpions of the earth have power.
Rev 9:4 And it was commanded them that they should not hurt the grass of the earth, neither any green thing, neither any tree; but only those men which have not the seal of God in their foreheads.
Rev 9:5 And to them it was given that they should not kill them, but that they should be tormented five months: and their torment was as the torment of a scorpion, when he striketh a man.
Rev 9:6 And in those days shall men seek death, and shall not find it; and shall desire to die, and death shall flee from them.

LA

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The Roman Catholic Church is a part of the Catholic Church, but that is all.

That's the part of the Catholic Church you identify with, right?

Just like some in the Protestant Church identify with Baptist, Methodist, etc.

There's nothing wrong with saying RCC.

Sounds more like you griping just to be griping.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
That's the part of the Catholic Church you identify with, right?.....
How do you know that?

.....Just like some in the Protestant Church identify with Baptist, Methodist, etc......
There is no protestant church. Protestantism consists of thousands of denominations - some large and well-known,others notso much - all in constant conflic, teaching contrary doctrines.

......There's nothing wrong with saying RCC......
There is if you are misapplying it, like you and others here always do. If the Latin Rite within the Catholic Church is who you are addressing then that's fine. If you are using RCC to refer to the Catholic Church then you are wrong. And now that you have been educated, if you continue using RCC to refer to the Catholic Church then you will simply be a liar and an antagonist.

......Sounds more like you griping just to be griping.
And THAT sounds like you'd rather insult people than learn.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
I'm sure it's a "lie" to you......
Its a lie, period.

I'm sure it's a "lie" to you, but others here can 'Google' the Council of Nicea......
Anyone can Google anything and find nonsense that supports their stupidity.

The Council of Nicea, like the Council of Jerusalem in Acts,was a council of the apostles successors in union with the successor of Peter, and led by the Holy Spirit. That is what Jesus established, and what the Bible teaches, as the way correct doctrine is arrived at.

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
......The Council of Nicea, like the Council of Jerusalem in Acts,was a council of the apostles successors in union with the successor of Peter, and led by the Holy Spirit. That is what Jesus established, and what the Bible teaches, as the way correct doctrine is arrived at.

How did Jesus mean things to be. First he chose specific men to teach and gave them this mandate: "Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you"

How did they first excersize this authority? In Acts 15, it was a Council that decided on the matter if Circumcision. They made this decision based on their authority. They did not consult any scriptures in their decision, but were rather guided by the Holy Spirit: "It seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us not to burden you with anything beyond the following requirements" (Acts 15:28).

This is how doctrine is decided: Not by popular vote, not by each individual reading a Bible and deciding for themselves what is right or wrong, but by a Council of those appointed by Christ.

beameup

Its a lie, period.

Anyone can Google anything and find nonsense that supports their stupidity.

The Council of Nicea, like the Council of Jerusalem in Acts,was a council of the apostles successors in union with the successor of Peter, and led by the Holy Spirit. That is what Jesus established, and what the Bible teaches, as the way correct doctrine is arrived at.

The New Testament clearly states that Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles and Peter was the Apostle to the Jews. Peter's mission was to the Diaspora in the synagogues throughout the Roman Empire.
But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me [Paul], as the gospel of the circumcision was unto Peter;- Galatians 2:7

strike 2

Catholic Crusader

Kyrie Eleison
Banned
The New Testament clearly states that Paul was the Apostle to the Gentiles......
Oh please, spare me that lame worn out argument.

The New Testament clearly states that Jesus chose apostles as leaders and made Peter the leader. Paul came later, and Paul submitted tom Peter's direction.

Go back and learn how to read the Bible properly.

beameup

Oh please, spare me that lame worn out argument.

The New Testament clearly states that Jesus chose apostles as leaders and made Peter the leader. Paul came later, and Paul submitted tom Peter's direction.

Go back and learn how to read the Bible properly.

Peter never even left Jerusalem for 14 years following the resurrection. When forced to leave, he went to the Diaspora in the Roman Empire.
So, you don't follow the clear meaning of the Holy Spirit inspired Scriptures when they conflict with your pre-conceived notions?

2 Peter 3:15-16 - And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you; As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrestle, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.

Peter had difficulty understanding the deep revelations given to Paul directly by the Risen Christ, and Peter acknowledged that Paul's writings were Scripture. The Holy Spirit clearly tells us that Paul is the Apostle to the Gentiles: Romans 11:13, 1 Timothy 2:7, 2 Timothy 1:11. You can choose to ignore the Scriptures, but (as Peter says) it is at your own peril.

Strike 3

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.