Is Atheism Like a Religion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Interplanner View Post
    The idea of 'atheism is a faith belief' is that it has several leap of faith presuppositions.

One of the most substantial core beliefs a person has as they get older is that the termination of meaning cannot end with this life; there must be more after death. To the younger person chasing his desires, this makes no 'sense'. To the older person, who has been through the real challenges of life, the opposite is true; there has to be meaning beyond and there has to be justice beyond this life.

Similarly, I'm always fascinated to hear the atheist say that the global flood could not have happened. Those are presuppositions speaking. They are atheists, yet they are experts on the features and capabilities of God? How does that make sense? The whole point of the assertion of the Bible is that the global flood could not have happened in the constrictions placed on it by the atheist! So a real nothing has been communicated. Now on to facts: there is more and more understanding of vertical tectonics lately that was almost unknown 20 years ago. There is good reason to see that this item is true in the sense of vertical tectonic catastrophism, as well as the abundance of global flood legend and reference in most cultures.
    As an older person---nope, dead is dead, nothing more. Sorry.

And your flood stuff is rubbish. Although if you can provide citations to the scientific literature that indicate "vertical tectonics" within the time frame of the Biblical flood, I would be interested.

Comment

Originally posted by 6days View Post
      Your beliefs in a flat earth (or spherical) may be religious if you promote your beliefs with evangelical fundamentalism. Are there websites, books, magazines and conferences that you defend your beliefs? Have there been court cases arguing the merits of labelling flat earthers as a religion? Do you have like minded flat earthers (or round) admitting their beliefs are religious and is promoted by its practitioners as more than mere science.

IOW.... your attempt at analogy fails. Your disbelief in little green men, the flying spagetti monster and the flat earth bears no resemblance to the religious nature of many atheists belief system.
      your right

atheist defend their faith and seek converts like no others

Comment

Originally posted by Silent Hunter View Post
        Equivocate much? I especially like how you cherry picked the definition you liked best.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
        atheism:
        the faith that there is no God.

Comment

Originally posted by way 2 go View Post
          atheism:
          the faith that there is no God.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
          "The more scientifically literate, intellectually honest and objectively skeptical a person is, the more likely they are to disbelieve in anything supernatural, including god."

Comment

Originally posted by musterion View Post
            Atheism is a religion. It shares all the features of any other.

First and foremost, it's a system that tries to explain life, the universe and everything. That's the baseline definition of religion.

Following from that, it has sacred scriptures which may not be questioned. It has a priesthood and occasional high priests/popes. It has evangelists who seek to convert others. It has devils. It definitely has core dogmas, and punishments meted out for violating those dogmas. It offers adherents what it considers the highest and most blessed possible form of salvation...salvation from God.

Yes, it's a religion.
            Atheism is not a religion and neither is theism. The words atheism/theism just describe a state of mind or belief regarding gods (whether one has a belief or not). Atheism is a category descriptor of those people who do not have a belief in god just like theism is just a category descriptor of those people who do have a belief in god. The categories of atheism/theism are not religions or philosophies in and of themselves. You don't say "I believe in theism" or "I follow the theism "philosophy" (the same goes for atheism). Sure, most religions are theistic (christianity, judaism, hinduism, etc), but it is these individual religions that give the "set of explanations of how and why reality exists", not the category of "theism".

You could never say that this is what all theists believe about such and such (other than having the belief in a god), since all theistic beliefs are different based on the different religions. The same goes for atheism where you could never say that this is what all atheists believe about such and such (other than NOT having A belief in a god). Atheists may adhere to philosophies such as Humanism, or religions such as Buddhism, or something of their own makeup, but the category of "atheism" is not a religion or philosophy itself.

Comment

Originally posted by flintstoned View Post
              ... but the category of "atheism" is not a religion or philosophy itself.
              A theist and atheist can hold beliefs, but not be religious. But certainly, both atheists and theists can be religious... and often are.
              Without Genesis, absolutely nothing makes sense in all of Scripture.

Comment

Originally posted by 6days View Post
                A theist and atheist can hold beliefs, but not be religious. But certainly, both atheists and theists can be religious... and often are.
                Yes atheists can be religious, most of them would prefer to be called Buddhists though.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Horn View Post
                  Atheism is a "religion "
                  Were your quotes necessary around the word, 'religion'? If so, why? Why did you need to put them there?

Why
                  Atheism is a "religion"...
                  rather than
                  Atheism is a religion...
                  ?

What (if anything) are you trying to signify by having your quotes there that you could not have signified without them?

the way not collecting stamps is a hobby
                  To what (if anything) are you referring by your phrase, "not collecting stamps"? Lots of hobbies are not stamp-collecting, no? For instance, a hobby of collecting baseball cards is not stamp-collecting, is it? And yet, baseball-card-collecting is a hobby. So, to what (if anything) are you referring by your phrase, "not collecting stamps"?

the way "off" is a channel on television
                  Are you trying to say that the word, "off", is not a TV channel? I agree that the word, "off", is not a TV channel. It's a word, not a TV channel. So what if it's not?

Are you trying to say that the word, "off", is not the name of a TV channel? I don't know that there's any TV channel called "off", but then, for all I know, perhaps there is one. Whether or not there is, somewhere, a TV channel called "off"--either way, so what?

What (if anything) are you even trying to say, here?

Also, you left out another common, banal, mindless stupidity of a phrase cherished by many of your ilk:

"Bald is not a hair color" is not even a sentence. The adjective, "bald", here, is not even a substantive, is it? If you would say it is so, why then, please tell us to what is being referred by the word, "bald".

If you want to say "Atheism is not a religion", why can't you just say, "Atheism is not a religion"?

All my ancestors are human.
                  PS: All your ancestors are human.
                  PPS: To all you cats, dogs, monkeys, and other assorted house pets whose masters are outsourcing the task of TOL post-writing to you (we know who you are )– you may disregard the PS.

Comment

Yes, atheism is a religion where atheists believe in evidence which they don't actually believe in evidence.

I asked them for the evidence to back up the food contents they ever ate in one out of the million meals they ever had, and they can't. But they still believe that a truth must be supported by evidence. Similarly they never ask for evidence when getting all the facts from a small piece of paper with some human writings on it, we call it a newspaper.

By their faith, they also believe that history knows in advance what events would have an impact to humans, such that it will leave more evidence for the more impacting events. That's why they keep saying that extraordinary claims require more evidence. So I ask them for the most extraordinary claims from their own fathers then back them up with evidence, and they can't!

Comment

Working...
                    X