Good Religion / Bad Religion

Robert Pate

Banned
Good religion is Spirit led religion. Bad religion is law and works led religion.

To be under the law or to be led by the law is to be a servant of sin.

Paul wrote "But God be thanked, that you were servants of sin, but you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered to you" Romans 6:17.

That form of doctrine that was delivered to them was the Gospel of Jesus Christ. The Gospel is the "Good News" that Jesus has fulfilled all of the demands of God's holy law and that he did it in our name and on our behalf, just like we did it our self. After he fulfilled it he abolished it, Ephesians 2:15. Christians are no longer under it, nor are they subject to it. Paul said that the law Was contrary to us, Colossians 2:14. What he meant was that nobody could do it or keep it. The law demands that you be perfect. There is none perfect, no, not one, Romans 3:10.

Bad religion is the religion of the Pharisees. The religion of the Pharisees was a law based religion. They took the commandments and the ordinances and came up with over 600 laws and rules for holy living. The law was their savior. They said that the Torah was the way, the truth and the life and was the light that lightens every man. John took what the Pharisees said about the Torah and applied it to Jesus, John 14:6.

Bad religion rejects the Gospel and justification by faith and replaces it with false doctrine and works based religion. Law based religion is not Spirit led religion. Christians are not required to do anything for their salvation other than to believe in Jesus as their savior.

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us" Titus 3:5.

The reason that Christians are not required to do works or keep the law for their salvation is because the work of salvation has already been done by Jesus Christ. It was Jesus that fulfilled the law. It was Jesus that atoned for our sins and the sins of the whole world, 1 John 2:2. No one needs to be predestinated. No one needs to Join the Catholic church. We are perfect and complete "In Christ" Colossians 2:10.

When we add anything to the Gospel we deny the Gospel. To say that it is the Gospel plus Calvinism, or its the Gospel plus Catholicism. What we are really saying is that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is not sufficient to save us and we need religion. Good religion is a religion that does good works, not to be saved, but because they are saved. It is works that are done out of a heart of love and gratitude for what Christ has done for us in his work of salvation. Maybe this is what James meant when he said, "Faith without works is dead" James 2:17.

Predi

Saved means a total and complete reliance upon the work and the person of Jesus Christ for your salvation.

But how can one know their reliance is total? What if it's 99.9% but in the back of the mind there's thing thing...? Shouldn't people keep on asking, "Am I saved?"

Robert Pate

Banned
But how can one know their reliance is total? What if it's 99.9% but in the back of the mind there's thing thing...? Shouldn't people keep on asking, "Am I saved?"

People that are unsure of their salvation are people that are usually immature in the faith.

They don't have a good knowledge of the Gospel and justification by faith.

jzeidler

All religion is bad because at the foundation all you see is the question "did I DO enough..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iKnowUmadBro

All religion is bad because at the foundation all you see is the question "did I DO enough..."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Seems more like a personal observation then a universal truth, or even a majority opinion. I've never actually heard anyone say that. I've heard oh religion is bad because it preys on people's fears, or guilt. However I've never heard your angle.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Nice, but this can be understood in many ways. Is there a simple explanation, in simple words?

How much simpler can it be? I can make it more complicated and explain that all die from Adam, even those that did not sin according to him. Salvation is moving from death in Adam to life in the Lord Jesus Christ. That is salvation.

jzeidler

Good Religion / Bad Religion

Seems more like a personal observation then a universal truth, or even a majority opinion. I've never actually heard anyone say that. I've heard oh religion is bad because it preys on people's fears, or guilt. However I've never heard your angle.

You've never heard that??? Yeah all religion is, did I read my bible enough, pray enough, give enough, etc enough for God to be favorable towards me? It's a bunch of crap and has spoiled true Christianity that says that Jesus did everything so you don't have to do anything to gain favor with God.

Last edited:

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you absolutely sure of your salvation?

Salvation equates to immortality.

John said, "And this is the testimony: that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has life, he who does not have the Son of God does not have life." (1 John 5:11-12)

Currently, our immortality is held in trust for us by Jesus to be bestowed on us at the first resurrection.

Paul said, "But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified."
(1 Corinthians 9:27)

Jesus said, "I know your works that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth." (Revelation 3:15-16)

Peter explained, "For if, after they have escaped the pollutions of the world through the knowledge of the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, they are again entangled in them and overcome, the latter end is worse for them than the beginning. For it would have been better for them not to have known the way of righteousness, than having known it, to turn from the holy commandment delivered to them. But it has happened to them according to the true proverb: 'A dog returns to his own vomit' and 'a sow, having washed, to her wallowing in the mire.'" (2 Peter 2:20-22)

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Finally I understand why God gave the Israelites the Law! Because Law is Bad religion! Now it all makes sense!

That is because Pate makes his assertions independent of scripture. For instance: "And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set before you this day?" (Deuteronomy 4:8)

Robert Pate

Banned
Finally I understand why God gave the Israelites the Law! Because Law is Bad religion! Now it all makes sense!

If the law is good why did Jesus abolish it, Ephesians 2:15.

The new man is the Spirit led man. Not the law led man.

Robert Pate

Banned
That is because Pate makes his assertions independent of scripture. For instance: "And what great nation is there that has such statutes and righteous judgments as are in all this law which I set before you this day?" (Deuteronomy 4:8)

That law along with all of the ordinances has been abolished, Ephesians 2:15