Lent is ungodly and sinful

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[W]hat is yet lacking?

If we were doing such a stand up job, he wouldn't have to send two witnesses now would he? Jer 8:8, Mal 4:4-5 Two witnesses :bowser: :bowser: are required before stoning
lips.gif
a whore.
mousy.gif
Why are they :eek:linger: determined to keep Syria? :Shimei: Lookin' pretty good after that big ol' rock disrupts your life. :popcorn:

See:

Planet X

Selaphiel

On Ash wednesday we read Isaiah 58:4-10. Wonderful prophetic reimagination of the fast as striving for justice for the weak rather than groveling in front of God just for the sake of it..

And my God, MAD-theology is uninspiring and pointless. Boils down to believing a contractual proposition about some cosmic bill being paid. It is a perversion of Luther's "On Christian Liberty", basically tearing out the second half of the work. Give up MAD for lent, that would be a good idea.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I just finished my fasting
with
my tuna fish casserole
with
a dill pickle

some people really know how to suffer

genuineoriginal

Was it sinful for Jesus to fast?
First off, Jesus did not fast on His own, but was led into fasting by the Spirit.

Matthew 4:1-2
1 Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2 And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.​

Jesus fasted to obey the will of the Father.

John 5:30
30 I can of mine own self do nothing: as I hear, I judge: and my judgment is just; because I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me.​

In obeying the will of the Father to fast, Jesus learned obedience.

Hebrews 5:8
8 Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered;​

Lent, on the other hand, is a doctrine of man that merely has an appearance of wisdom.

Colossians 2:20-23
20 Wherefore if ye be dead with Christ from the rudiments of the world, why, as though living in the world, are ye subject to ordinances,
21 (Touch not; taste not; handle not;
22 Which all are to perish with the using; ) after the commandments and doctrines of men?
23 Which things have indeed a shew of wisdom in will worship, and humility, and neglecting of the body: not in any honour to the satisfying of the flesh.​

glorydaz

Once a year you choose to give up, for a brief period, something you normally enjoy. In and of itself, that's neither good nor bad.

But if you're honest, you who observe Lent will explain and justify your observance with one or more of the following:

a. it gives you that sense of quiet pride and self-satisfaction (aka self-righteousness) when you hint to others what you're giving up, as some have already trumpeted here on TOL,

b. you're just bowing to social pressure from religious others who'd frown on you not playing along, or

c. you think it makes you more holy and acceptable to God.

d. Probably some mix of the three.

Also, that Lent is temporary (once a year, briefly) is hypocritical...if something's a big enough deal to surrender "for God" once annually, how do you justify indulging it the rest of the year? Is God really going to be impressed because you give up bon-bons or R-rated movies for a several weeks? Lent is purely of the flesh -- substantially no different in motive than Muslims gorging themselves at night during their days of their "holy" fasts.

So let's call Lent what it actually is: a man-pleasing, God-impressing, self-centered holiday to indulge the flesh under the guise of denying the flesh. It's plain old hypocritical pride -- just like the Pharisees of old whitening their faces during fasts and blowing trumpets when they toss pennies to the poor, all in order to appear more sincere and to impress the rubes with their devoutness.

That's you when you observe Lent.

There is no motivation you can come up with for Lent, as it is practiced, that will justify it as acceptable to God.

:first:

genuineoriginal

Is it ever acceptable to fast?
Yes.
If you are dealing with demons, you should fast first.

Mark 9:29
29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.​

If you are seeking the will of God, you should also fast.

Acts 14:23
23 And when they had ordained them elders in every church, and had prayed with fasting, they commended them to the Lord, on whom they believed.​

Fasting can also be considered a standard part of a godly life.

Luke 2:37
37 And she was a widow of about fourscore and four years, which departed not from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day.​

What is not acceptable is fasting merely for the sake of tradition.

Colossians 2:8
8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.​

Especially if it is a fake fast, such is commonly practiced at Lent.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Galatians 5

1Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage. 2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing. 3 And I testify again to every man who becomes circumcised that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh. 17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

I wonder if people really understand this or are applying their preconceived notions from "church" teachings. Walking in the Spirit is to ignore the law. Walking in the Spirit is usually defined wrong on this forum and with many Christians. Paul is very clear.

Earlier in the letter Paul said this;

2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?

And fake "Pentecostals" say that is only circumcision. Wrong. Paul is very clear. Under circumcision, you are indebted to keep the whole law. It isn't just about cutting of the flesh, which was foreshadowing.
:first: