Lent is ungodly and sinful

musterion

It would.

You asked what would "happen."

Further hypothetical:

You never bother confessing your disinterest in Lent. You actually don't think it NEEDS confessing because, for whatever reason, you don't believe in Lent. But you still disobeyed Rome's command to fast, which is willful sin.

What happens when you die with all those unfasted Lents unrepented and unconfessed?

glassjester

Now that's not true and you know it.

What happens to any Catholic who dies with any willful, unrepented, unconfessed sin on his soul -- particularly about something as big a deal as Lent?

That is the truth, Brother.
God only knows.

...Probably Purgatory.

Feel free to check if I'm wrong on that.
The Catholic Catechism is free and searchable online.

musterion

There is no purgatory. There is only death, then resurrection unto glory or unto judgment and condemnation.

glassjester

We can talk more about Purgatory, if you'd like.
But that should be its own thread.

And I get the feeling you don't want to talk more about Purgatory.

glassjester

A wrong answer, in this case.

It is appointed unto men once to die, then after this, judgment.

You asked what would happen if I refused to fast during Lent, and then died.

I assumed you expected me to answer according to what I believe.
Should I have made up an answer that you would have liked better?

musterion

No, you said what I expected. I was just telling you what the Bible says so that you will be without excuse at the Judgment.

Christian Liberty

Once a year you choose to give up, for a brief period, something you normally enjoy. In and of itself, that's neither good nor bad.

But if you're honest, you who observe Lent will explain and justify your observance with one or more of the following:

a. it gives you that sense of quiet pride and self-satisfaction (aka self-righteousness) when you hint to others what you're giving up, as some have already trumpeted here on TOL,

b. you're just bowing to social pressure from religious others who'd frown on you not playing along, or

c. you think it makes you more holy and acceptable to God.

d. Probably some mix of the three.

Also, that Lent is temporary (once a year, briefly) is hypocritical...if something's a big enough deal to surrender "for God" once annually, how do you justify indulging it the rest of the year? Is God really going to be impressed because you give up bon-bons or R-rated movies for a several weeks? Lent is purely of the flesh -- substantially no different in motive than Muslims gorging themselves at night during their days of their "holy" fasts.

So let's call Lent what it actually is: a man-pleasing, God-impressing, self-centered holiday to indulge the flesh under the guise of denying the flesh. It's plain old hypocritical pride -- just like the Pharisees of old whitening their faces during fasts and blowing trumpets when they toss pennies to the poor, all in order to appear more sincere and to impress the rubes with their devoutness.

That's you when you observe Lent.

There is no motivation you can come up with for Lent, as it is practiced, that will justify it as acceptable to God.

Do you celebrate Easter? If so this is hypocritical :p (I don't celebrate any papist holy days)

brewmama

No, you said what I expected. I was just telling you what the Bible says so that you will be without excuse at the Judgment.

You certainly are selective about your Bible verses. It doesn't say WHEN judgment occurs, and most every other Biblical source says it's at the Judgment Day. Not at death.

And one of your own said in answer to:

What do you think will happen if we DON'T do the good works that God has prepared for us to walk in?
We will miss out on rewards. The stubble will be burned up, but we, ourselves, will be saved.

1 Cor. 3:14-15
If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.​

How is this basically any different than purgatory?

meshak

BANNED
Banned

bless your heart for your patience.

Christian Liberty

This is the Biblical definition of a fast:

Jonah 3:5-8
5 So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them.
6 For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.
7 And he caused it to be proclaimed and published through Nineveh by the decree of the king and his nobles, saying, Let neither man nor beast, herd nor flock, taste any thing: let them not feed, nor drink water:
8 But let man and beast be covered with sackcloth, and cry mightily unto God: yea, let them turn every one from his evil way, and from the violence that is in their hands.​

This is fake fasting:
_____
Fasting

Fasting is the taking of only one full meal (may include meat) and two smaller meals (meatless) that must be smaller to the lager meal. No snacking between meals is allowed, but water, milk, tea, coffee, and juices are fine. Meat is allowed at one meal, only.
_____​

I'm prett sure Jesus drank water during his fast since it was 40 days and yet he "hungred" (not "thirsted") at the end.

musterion

You certainly are selective about your Bible verses. It doesn't say WHEN judgment occurs, and most every other Biblical source says it's at the Judgment Day. Not at death.

And one of your own said in answer to:

What do you think will happen if we DON'T do the good works that God has prepared for us to walk in?

How is this basically any different than purgatory?

How are you basically any different from a Catholic?