Lent is ungodly and sinful

genuineoriginal

You do know I'm not Catholic don't you? Not sure what you are implying there...
If you practice the Catholic tradition of Lent, why would you want to be called something other than Catholic?
Are you Anglican or Episcopalian?

And the Catholic Church can back up many of your so-called "traditions and doctrines of men" biblically.
The Catholic Church cannot show where their traditions and doctrines of men were taught by the Bible and that is why there is a problem with them.
Occasionally, very rarely, they can take verses out of context to support their traditions and doctrines, but that is a much different thing than backing up them Biblically.

You just don't agree with them.
Only because they are not taught by the Bible.

Many Protestant doctrines don't hold up biblically either, especially at this forum.
I agree with you there.

For all her protestations that she's Orthodox, BM sounds more informedly Catholic than most of the Catholics on TOL.
Orthodox?
I must have missed that one.

In many things Orthodox is not much different than Catholic, so much of what I say about Catholic applies to Orthodox as well.
At least they have rejected that whole "Pope" thing, so that is a start.

glassjester

It is easily proven and I know it by one simple fact.

Only denominations that follow the Catholic traditions fast for Lent.

If you want to counter that proof, please show me the names of the denominations that do not follow the Catholic traditions that fast for Lent.

You've misunderstood.

I am asking you to prove that the people fasting during Lent are doing so only because it's tradition, and not for any other reasons.

genuineoriginal

You've misunderstood.

I am asking you to prove that the people fasting during Lent are doing so only because it's tradition, and not for any other reasons.
I see you added a qualifier to the original statement and are now asking for additional proof.

The problem with your demand is that it does not matter what other justifications for fasting during Lent that people come up with, if they are fasting at that time to follow a tradition, then they are fasting to follow a tradition.

glassjester

I see you added a qualifier to the original statement and are now asking for additional proof.

The problem with your demand is that it does not matter what other justifications for fasting during Lent that people come up with, if they are fasting at that time to follow a tradition, then they are fasting to follow a tradition.

Doing something traditional is not, in and of itself, bad or good. Surely you'd agree. Do you have no traditions at all?

But "for tradition's sake" shouldn't be the only reason you're doing something. If the action in question is not a good thing to do anyway, for a reason other than tradition, then don't do it!

Now fasting, you'd agree, can be a good thing to do.
How do you know that people fasting during Lent are not fasting for one (or more) of the many "good" reasons to fast?

genuineoriginal

Doing something traditional is not, in and of itself, bad or good. Surely you'd agree.
I agree.

Do you have no traditions at all?
Yes and those traditions are taught by the Bible.

But "for tradition's sake" shouldn't be the only reason you're doing something.
No. The other reason I do it is obedience to the commandments.

If the action in question is not a good thing to do anyway, for a reason other than tradition, then don't do it!
I agree.

Now fasting, you'd agree, can be a good thing to do.
If it is true fasting (abstaining from all food and drink for a period of time), and it is done for a specific reason other than the traditions of men, then it is a very good thing.

How do you know that people fasting during Lent are not fasting for one (or more) of the many "good" reasons to fast?
Since they are only pretending to fast, it will not work for any of the "good" reasons for fasting, only for tradition and making themselves feel better than others in the tradition of the Pharisees.

If they were doing a true fast, then the other valid reasons would make fasting worthwhile.

glassjester

Yes and those traditions are taught by the Bible.

Honestly?
You have no family traditions?
No national traditions?
No local traditions?

I think you are lying for the sake of this conversation.

You've never given a birthday gift.
You've never gone to to a Fourth of July barbecue.
You've never kissed somebody on New Year's Eve, at midnight.

Sorry. I just don't believe you.

Since they are only pretending to fast, it will not work for any of the "good" reasons for fasting, only for tradition and making themselves feel better than others in the tradition of the Pharisees.

What do you mean, it won't "work" ?

Does fasting "work" when you do it? What happens?
How do you know when it "worked" ?
If it doesn't "work" the first time, do you try again?

genuineoriginal

Honestly?
You have no family traditions?
No national traditions?
No local traditions?

I think you are lying for the sake of this conversation.

You've never given a birthday gift.
You've never gone to to a Fourth of July barbecue.
You've never kissed somebody on New Year's Eve, at midnight.
We were speaking about religious traditions.
Now you are changing the subject?
That only makes you appear desperate.

What do you mean, it won't "work" ?

Does fasting "work" when you do it? What happens?
How do you know when it "worked" ?
If it doesn't "work" the first time, do you try again?
If you pretend to fast by eating one normal meal and two smaller meals, then that fake fast will not do anything.
It is a completely useless fast.

musterion

Apart from some age (youth) and medical exemptions, Rome mandates participation in the fasts officially associated with Lent. It is NOT entirely voluntary, as far as Catholics are concerned.

musterion

You must obey the fasts of Lent commanded by Rome or...what would happen to you if you flat out refused to observe?

Tell the truth now...

glassjester

You must obey the fasts of Lent commanded by Rome or...what would happen to you if you flat out refused to observe?

Tell the truth now...

What would happen? Nothing.

Was something supposed to happen? Thunder? Volcanic eruption?

What "happens" when you don't fast?
Tell the truth now... :)

musterion

What would happen? Nothing./QUOTE]

It wouldn't be considered willful sin?

I posted earlier where the Lent fasts are mandated by Rome...not optional unless one is very young or very ill. So what would happen to a Catholic, even only hypothetically, if they chose not to/refused to observe those fasts, whether or not the church knew of their refusal?

How would that not be considered willful sin?

If you don't know, say you don't know and I'll find out somewhere else.