The Trinity

The Trinity

• Total voters

Rosenritter

Oh really?

Though we have freewill it is the Will of GOD that allows it and indeed gives it.

Do you really think GOD doesn't know what HIS creation will be used for ultimately, or where it will end up?

Did GOD know that Job would be without fault before HE instructed satan to inflict terrible grief upon him? Though satan understood not; all things ultimately work by the will of GOD.

Does GOD know the very elect cannot be ultimately swayed? And if HIS elect do what is known by GOD then will not all things be reconciled to GOD in HIS time.

Do you presume that GOD doesn't know HE is just and merciful. Is not even Egypt to be turned back to GOD?

peace

God doesn't know this for any specific person in advance before they exist.

Matthew 24:24 KJV
(24) For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

Whether it is possible or not lies with us.

Rosenritter

God's "elect" are called for a purpose, they are called to perform a task. The "elect" are not elected to be saved. They are elected to perform a role. It has nothing to do with salvation.

For example, Israel is God's elect lady, yet most of Israel died and went straight to Hell. What happened after the twelve spies returned? Most of Israel died in the wilderness in unbelief. Yet God had elected them out of Egypt. They were to be His people.

So yes, the "elect" can be swayed, and very easily so. Just because they are the elect does not mean they will be saved.

God knows that those who reject Him will be separated from Him for all of eternity. He knows that those who accept Him will be with Him forever. But He wouldn't have to blot out names out of the Book of Life. (Note: not to be confused with the "Book of Life of the Lamb"), because they would already be blotted out.

Something for you to consider: Revelation 21:27 states that no one shall enter into the New Jerusalem except those who have their name written in the Lamb's Book of Life.

Did you catch that? Written.

Did God say when (in time) this blotting out takes place?

popsthebuilder

A point is not a side. You can make anything "possible" if you define 2 + 2 = 5. A triangle has 3 sides and only 3 sides by definition.
And limited by perception.

If a point is not a side then a pyramid observed in reality could be said to have five sides or four sides and a bottom. However; if a pcture was taken at the right angle or if a simple drawing was made of the pyramid then it to truthfully could be said to be a triangle. It is limited by the perception of the one viewing the object or rather the level of reality they choose to live in. If you cannot see that a pyramid is too a triangle then fine; I'll leave it alone.

popsthebuilder

Thank you, you just admitted that illogic exists. The next step is to admit that there is such a thing as the truly impossible, which is the practical application of this example.

For example, God cannot force someone to love him against their will. That's a contradiction of terms. Just like the triangle with five (or five hundred) sides.
I triangle can be comprised of a nearly infinite amount of smaller triangles.

As far as GOD forcing love; we have free will; HE doesn't force us to do anything, but can cause a change of heart leading one love GOD though it was never their will exacty.

Little word games and parlor tricks arent the things of GOD. Not that they couldn't be if that was the Will of GOD. thankfully the will of GOD is synonymous with truth. Which brings me to a conclusion.

The one thing I recall GOD not being "able" to do is lie.

popsthebuilder

God cannot know what a free willed creature will ultimately choose before that creature comes into existence.
More nonsense.

GOD created all things and knows them utterly and fully. Make no mistake; HE knows the the will of man before they are even conceived in the womb. Such is the case when one designs and builds not only a thing it knows, but a thing formed in it likeness. If it is too responsible for the placement of that thing within surroundings that it too made then it is safe to say that the designer of said articles or things would know what those things designed in his image within his surroundings would do though they have freedom.

popsthebuilder

The definition of free will says that God cannot know that for us.

Genesis 22:11-12 KJV
(11) And the angel of the LORD called unto him out of heaven, and said, Abraham, Abraham: and he said, Here am I.
(12) And he said, Lay not thine hand upon the lad, neither do thou any thing unto him: for now I know that thou fearest God, seeing thou hast not withheld thy son, thine only son from me.

One could reason that perhaps God tested Abraham so that Abraham would know that he feared God, but what God actually said was that this was needed so that God would know that Abraham feared God.
All things written in the Bible are for our sake.

KingdomRose

I dismiss Anthony Buzzard because I am familiar with him already, from more than one occasion. Do I deprecate him because he disagrees with me? No, but I do have a little experience seeing what else he says. My unsupportable doctrines? You've entered in here picking a fight without knowing what's what. I don't try to support official Trinity doctrine. Although it may have some use, it's not a perfect model, nor do I support conformity through aggression.

Why are people ignoring your post? Because it wasn't relevant to the ongoing discussion. You weren't responding to anyone's question, and you merely slapped a wall of text from someone that won't answer any question you put to him. You used a statement and a rhetorical question, not anything that required a response.

How do I interpret John 17:3? Jesus is that True God, just as when I reach out my arm to catch my daughter from falling, I am her only father, and my arm is what I sent to catch her, and yet my arm is still very much me in every way. I interpret John 17:3 in the same context as the rest of the gospel of John, including "the Word was God" and Jesus as "My Lord and my God." I don't fight and despise God as he came to us for our benefit.

You talk down to people and don't explain what you're thinking. You dismiss Buzzard because you're "familiar with him." OK, can you give a bit more info on what it is that you don't like about him?

Whatever I have posted is relevant to the ongoing discussion. I made points about the trinity doctrine which could have been responded to by some member here who has one or two thoughts that go below the surface. I don't "slap" a wall of text up just to busy myself. I carefully choose points from the discussion in the book and present them to the members here to get their thoughts on them. I have seen plenty of discussions about some author's work or some saint's ideas, etc.

Yes, I say again, "YOUR unsupportable doctrines," though of course they are, unfortunately, shared by others. This has got to be the most ridiculous idea that I have run across today---that Jesus is somehow saying that HE is the true God by saying to the Father, "YOU are the only true God." What kind of mental gymnastics do you do to convince yourself of that??

You take two ambiguous verses out of John and use them to support your incredible theology, while ignoring HUNDREDS of other verses! How can that be? Those two verses are not "the rest of the gospel of John." They are the EXCEPTION to the rest of John. The one verse that cannot be fully explained is Thomas' exclamation. ONE VERSE. The rest can be clearly and nicely explained. John 1:1 has been taken apart ad nauseum and shown to be actually an attempt by John to differentiate between God and the Word. The God whom the Word, Jesus, was with is accompanied by a definite article which identifies that "God" as THE God---the one and only almighty God. The god whom the Word is is not accompanied by ANY article, so therefore it is understood to be someone OTHER THAN the "God" that he was with. That is the way the rules go, from Greek to English. The rules of grammar dictate that it makes a difference who has the definite article and who is referred to WITHOUT the definite article.

The conclusion can only be that the Word was NOT the God that he was with.

I love God and His Son so much that I can't stand someone saying untrue things about them. The only "fighting" I do is FOR God and Jesus, with the sword of the Spirit, the Bible.

Ephesians 6:11-17

THE FATHER is the true God, and Jesus couldn't have been more clear. (Read all of John chapter 17.)

popsthebuilder

(24) For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.

What?

So you think the elect can actually be turned from the Will of GOD? the elect of GOD? really?

popsthebuilder

It would say "it is" as opposed to "if it were" if that were the case, but it is not.

God's Truth

Pops,

I am trying to reply back to you in private messages, but it will not go through because you don't have room for it and you have to delete some of your mail.

KingdomRose

Re. Rosenritter's post #14751:

Nonsense. I John 5:7 does not harmonize with the rest of John's writing. It is NOT "plainly supported" by any kind of evidence. In fact, it DISRUPTS the grammar of the passage. What ancient witnesses far predate the earliest mss. that we have access to? Name them.

Who else is "picking their side regardless of the evidence"? You are a piece of work. That final smug statement of yours applies beautifully to you.

keypurr

You talk down to people and don't explain what you're thinking. You dismiss Buzzard because you're "familiar with him." OK, can you give a bit more info on what it is that you don't like about him?

Whatever I have posted is relevant to the ongoing discussion. I made points about the trinity doctrine which could have been responded to by some member here who has one or two thoughts that go below the surface. I don't "slap" a wall of text up just to busy myself. I carefully choose points from the discussion in the book and present them to the members here to get their thoughts on them. I have seen plenty of discussions about some author's work or some saint's ideas, etc.

Yes, I say again, "YOUR unsupportable doctrines," though of course they are, unfortunately, shared by others. This has got to be the most ridiculous idea that I have run across today---that Jesus is somehow saying that HE is the true God by saying to the Father, "YOU are the only true God." What kind of mental gymnastics do you do to convince yourself of that??

You take two ambiguous verses out of John and use them to support your incredible theology, while ignoring HUNDREDS of other verses! How can that be? Those two verses are not "the rest of the gospel of John." They are the EXCEPTION to the rest of John. The one verse that cannot be fully explained is Thomas' exclamation. ONE VERSE. The rest can be clearly and nicely explained. John 1:1 has been taken apart ad nauseum and shown to be actually an attempt by John to differentiate between God and the Word. The God whom the Word, Jesus, was with is accompanied by a definite article which identifies that "God" as THE God---the one and only almighty God. The god whom the Word is is not accompanied by ANY article, so therefore it is understood to be someone OTHER THAN the "God" that he was with. That is the way the rules go, from Greek to English. The rules of grammar dictate that it makes a difference who has the definite article and who is referred to WITHOUT the definite article.

I love God and His Son so much that I can't stand someone saying untrue things about them. The only "fighting" I do is FOR God and Jesus, with the sword of the Spirit, the Bible.

THE FATHER is the true God, and Jesus couldn't have been more clear. (Read all of John chapter 17.)

Amen

Sent from my iPad using TOL

KingdomRose

What don't you get about the one and only God coming in the flesh as a Man?

What don't YOU get about the one true God SENDINGHis Son to come to earth as a man?

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16, KJV)

"He that receiveth you, receiveth me; and he that receiveth me, receiveth him that SENT me." (Matthew 10:40, KJV)

Rosenritter

If I knew of a means to do either of those things then I would. Please excuse my ignorance

1. Remove the spaces from [ spoiler ] and [ / spoiler ] and put those on either side of the text. It's like the [ quote ] and [ / quote ] tags. I have to type them like that here or they will work for real.

For example,
Spoiler
This is inside the tags now. I figured this out from looking at the quoted text from a post by Lon.

2. You do not know how to use boldface? Are you using a phone? If you're using the normal web interface you highlight the text and use Control-B or you can highlight the text and use the big "B" button at the top of the text entry place.

It's good for everyone if we can stress each other less by making what we say easier on the eyes and easier to understand.

Rosenritter

More nonsense.

GOD created all things and knows them utterly and fully. Make no mistake; HE knows the the will of man before they are even conceived in the womb. Such is the case when one designs and builds not only a thing it knows, but a thing formed in it likeness. If it is too responsible for the placement of that thing within surroundings that it too made then it is safe to say that the designer of said articles or things would know what those things designed in his image within his surroundings would do though they have freedom.

If God knows what a creature will do, and the creature cannot change from this (because of the definition of knowing just given) then when God creates creation that has no other option but to sin and commit atrocity, then God would be the author of that sin and atrocity. God, in his infinite knowledge (as accepted for the sake of argument already) could have chosen to create that which would not sin, but he chooses to create sin?

Think about the implications of what you just said please Pops.

Rosenritter

Kingdom, I can tell that you are passionate and have a lot of energy that you willing to commit to this subject. Unfortunately the nature of this type of forum is that one occasionally gets worn down and worn out. What was said and hoped to have been established yesterday is all but forgotten today and vanished beneath the sea of inevitable bickering from third parties that flows in a whelming flood. We get tired of covering the same ground again, and again. I apologize if I seemed snappy or excessively dismissive.

To clarify, I have read little of Anthony Buzzard directly, and as such when I refer to "Anthony Buzzard" I am speaking of what he represents. By this I can refer to a couple years of various contact (conversations and communications) with different Unitarians.
Spoiler
One particular memory is of a travelling Unitarian on vacation that wanted to talk of nothing but "Jesus is not God because he had a physical deformity" he claimed. He carried a copy of Anthony Buzzard with him in his trailer. Since that was all he wanted to talk about, I obliged. I showed him two passages of scripture and asked him a question each time, and he answered, then I let him see the next verse. He left much more quiet, and went and got his book. He comes back the next day and says that he looked for Anthony Buzzard's explanation but it was obviously wrong. The next day he had recovered his courage and/or belligerence and now declared "I have the Holy Spirit and it doesn't know you!" Obviously the best answer.

Anthony Buzzard really didn't help him, you see. That's one story that sticks in my mind. I cannot sum up every conversation where Anthony Buzzard appeared, but he was never shown to have much merit. It's intellectually dishonest to slap a wall of someone else's already written speech when they are unprepared to answer on its points when questioned. And that's the typical application of that tactic. Not limited to Anthony Buzzard, mind you, the same applies to any person of any position.

What you posted was not relevant to the current discussion. It was on the tread topic, granted, but it wasn't on the sub-questions that people were busy with at the moment or the current bickering and name calling of the day. With the way you entered, it comes across to me as if you were looking for a fight, but there was already a different fight in progress and so no one paid attention. So even if you are right in some aspect, that's not the way to introduce the topic to obtain a decent (or fair) hearing.

I have a good friend that used to be Unitarian. By used to be I mean that he was Unitarian when we met. We started discussing this topic (nature of God and Christ) and after several months I found that he had changed his position. By found I mean that he didn't tell me initially. He used that time to throw pretty much every Unitarian argument in the book at me (or at least he made sure he covered everything on a very comprehensive website that he later told me he used for reference.) If you think this forum is lengthy, this was far more in depth, and we weren't using name calling or abuse. Frustration sometimes perhaps, but not like you see here. His synopsis afterwards was that "Biblical Unitarianism isn't very biblical."

I did not win a friend by aggressively arguing unsupported doctrine, nor was my friend someone who was unfamiliar with his own position from where he was starting. I cannot guarantee that anyone will agree with the same set of givens that someone else will, but believe me when I say that I am somewhat familiar with these arguments already, and if I respond in short to something, it is possible it's not because I am ignorant of what you are about to say, but it might even be because I now know what you're about to say and I'm three steps ahead, having been put through all this before (by my friend, who didn't tell me he'd already changed his mind so that he could continue to test me.)

The sum of the matter is that Jesus is our God, and there is no other God. That's the beginning of John, that's the end of John, it's what is woven throughout the scriptures of the Old Testament and forwards, it's what's spoken of by the apostles, it's in the words of Jesus in his Revelation. You probably don't see it right now because of your current perspective or a bad assumption.

I know that I have said nothing to persuade you yet. That wasn't my intent right now. Would you like to talk by private message? Because frankly speaking these forums sometimes resemble an insane asylum. Just drop me a quick note if you are interested. Thanks.