The Basis or Condition for Christian Fellowship

Robert Pate

Banned
I doubt very much that you could fellowship with the apostle John if you were a Calvinist. To have fellowship with another brother or sister in Christ means that you have to believe the same way or have the same doctrine.

John wrote, "He is a propitiation for our sins: and not ours only, but for the sins of the WHOLE WORLD" 1 John 2:2.

Calvinist and others do not believe that Jesus has atoned for the sins of the whole world. The apostle John would not be able to fellowship with anyone that did not believe that Jesus is the savior of the whole world.

I have fellowship with many brothers and sister on the Forum. I thank God for them everyday. We all believe alike. There maybe some minor things that we disagree about, but the main things like the Gospel and justification by faith we are very solid on.

John wrote, "That which we have seen and heard declare we unto you, that you may have fellowship with us: and truly our fellowship is with the Father and with his Son Jesus Christ' 1 John 1:3

"If we say that we have fellowship with him and walk in darkness, we lie, and do not the truth" 1 John 1:6.

"But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another and the blood of Jesus Christ cleanses us from all sin" 1 John 1:7.

My basis or fellowship with other Christians is faith in the work and the person of Jesus Christ, which is the Gospel. I cannot fellowship with people that profess to be Christians and then deny that Jesus is the savior of the world. If Jesus is NOT the savior of the world then Jesus is NOT Lord. if Jesus is NOT Lord then we are all still in our sins and the Gospel is worthless.

How can a Christian have fellowship with someone that denies that Jesus has reconciled us and the world unto God, 2 Corinthians 5:18, 19. To deny that Jesus by his life, death and resurrection has reconciled us to God is to deny the Gospel and is to call Paul a liar.

I cannot fellowship with Catholics that DENY that Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil and in doing so has reconciled us to God. We are either perfect and complete in Christ or we are still in our sins, Colossians 2:10. Which?

I may fellowship with you in the hope that you will come to know Christ as your savior, but if you reject Christ and his Gospel our fellowship is over.

Robert Pate

Banned
Who or what are you fellowshipping with?

I know of a couple, she's a Lutheran and he's a Catholic.

Does it make sense that he is abusive to her?

She goes to the Lutheran church and he goes to the Catholic church.

They have nothing in common.

Don't be yoked with unbelievers. Every employer that I worked for that was not a Christian persecuted me.

Relationships are spiritual. If you fellowship with unbelievers expect to be persecuted.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I cannot fellowship with Catholics that DENY that Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil and in doing so has reconciled us to God. We are either perfect and complete in Christ or we are still in our sins, Colossians 2:10. Which?

you like everyone else is a sinner
and
Jesus asked us to love everyone

Bradley D

you like everyone else is a sinner
and Jesus asked us to love everyone

All have been sinners since the fall of Adam. Our hearts generate evil thoughts as God told Noah. However, I believe that a Christian with the help of the Holy Spirit does not have to commit a physical sin that enters the mind. I must remember that Jesus taught a sin of the mind is still a sin.

Although the NT teaches me not to accompany sinners. Jesus taught that I am to love all sinners. I am to hope/pray they will become aware of their sins, repent and believe.

Robert Pate

Banned
All have been sinners since the fall of Adam. Our hearts generate evil thoughts as God told Noah. However, I believe that a Christian with the help of the Holy Spirit does not have to commit a physical sin that enters the mind. I must remember that Jesus taught a sin of the mind is still a sin.

Although the NT teaches me not to accompany sinners. Jesus taught that I am to love all sinners. I am to hope/pray they will become aware of their sins, repent and believe.

I think that is what John meant when he said, 1 John 1:8.

Also on the other side, 1 John 3:9, 10.

False Prophet

From the institutes:
From this doctrine faith derives manifold advantages. First, it perceives that the Lord, by his ascension to heaven, has opened up the access to the heavenly kingdom, which Adam had shut. For having entered it in our flesh, as it were in our name, it follows, as the Apostle says, that we are in a manner now seated in heavenly places, not entertaining a mere hope of heaven, but possessing it in our head.

Robert Pate

Banned
From the institutes:
From this doctrine faith derives manifold advantages. First, it perceives that the Lord, by his ascension to heaven, has opened up the access to the heavenly kingdom, which Adam had shut. For having entered it in our flesh, as it were in our name, it follows, as the Apostle says, that we are in a manner now seated in heavenly places, not entertaining a mere hope of heaven, but possessing it in our head.

Yes, Ephesians 2:6 is a reality for all who believe.

Cruciform

I cannot fellowship with Catholics that DENY that Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil and in doing so has reconciled us to God.
Given that the Catholic Church formally teaches that "Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death, and the devil," your statement here must be seen as just one more Straw Man Fallacy among many by you on this forum. You're hopelessly ignorant of what the Church actually believes and teaches.

OCTOBER23

ALL YA NEED IS LOVE !!

1John 1:7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light,

we have fellowship one with another,

and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanses us from all sin.

1Jo 4:7 Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God;

and every one that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God.

Robert Pate

Banned
Given that the Catholic Church formally teaches that "Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death, and the devil," your statement here must be seen as just one more Straw Man Fallacy among many by you on this forum. You're hopelessly ignorant of what the Church actually believes and teaches.

Council of Trent, Canon #9.

"If anyone says that the sinner is justified by faith alone, meaning that nothing else is required to cooperate in order to obtain the grace of justification, and that it is not in any way necessary that he be prepared and disposed by the action of his own will, let him be anthema."

If the Catholic church teaches that Jesus has victoriously defeated sin, death and the devil, then why is justification not by faith alone?