Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Brain

He probably doesn't think there's any such thing as domestic violence or abuse in marriage either CM. It's a waste of time. Thankfully the sane recognize that rape most certainly can occur in a marriage along with the law.

genuineoriginal

If you don't like what I have said I suggest you look back at your own words. I am only repeating what I hear you saying.
No, you have been making up things I never said based on what you yourself have been thinking.

This is a red herring. Rape is rape. Interviews with rapists indicate that they are doing it for control, not for sex.
I am sure you believe that those rapists are not just telling the interviewers what they think they want to hear.
It would not be rape if there was no sex involved.

why would deny a woman that is being abused by her husband the right seek criminal charges for acts that would be criminal in any other setting but a marriage. You position is not logically co consistent.
You only believe it is not logically consistent because you lack a deep understanding of marriage and the role sex plays within a marriage.

There is a difference and a big one. Withholding sex, though not advisable for a strong and healthy marriage, does not involve the physical assault that rape is.
No, withholding sex involves emotional abuse, not physical abuse.
_________
When Is It Emotional Abuse?
Emotional abuse is an attempt to control, in just the same way that physical abuse is an attempt to control another person. The only difference is that the emotional abuser does not use physical hitting, kicking, pinching, grabbing, pushing, or other physical forms of harm. Rather the perpetrator of emotional abuse uses emotion as his/her weapon of choice.

The emotional abuse cycle follows the same pattern as that of physical abuse

Emotional abuse is a painful and serious pattern of abuse in which the primary effort is to control someone by playing with their emotions.
________​

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
No, you have been making up things I never said based on what you yourself have been thinking.
Again, I am repeating what I hear you saying.

I am sure you believe that those rapists are not just telling the interviewers what they think they want to hear.
It would not be rape if there was no sex involved.
What makes you think the interviewers have pre existing expectations?

You only believe it is not logically consistent because you lack a deep understanding of marriage and the role sex plays within a marriage.
Rape plays no beneficial roll in marriage.

No, withholding sex involves emotional abuse, not physical abuse.
_________
When Is It Emotional Abuse?
Emotional abuse is an attempt to control, in just the same way that physical abuse is an attempt to control another person. The only difference is that the emotional abuser does not use physical hitting, kicking, pinching, grabbing, pushing, or other physical forms of harm. Rather the perpetrator of emotional abuse uses emotion as his/her weapon of choice.

The emotional abuse cycle follows the same pattern as that of physical abuse

Emotional abuse is a painful and serious pattern of abuse in which the primary effort is to control someone by playing with their emotions.
________​
I know of a marriage where the bride, who was the daughter of a pastor, withheld sex from her husband unless they were trying to have a baby. Her motivation for withholding sex was to honor God by only having sex to procreate. No intention of any abuse. Needless to say, the marriage didn't last. While I agree that emotional abuse may be a factor, it is not the same as being physically violated.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Sometimes a wife calls it a rape just because. Even when it wasn’t. And to top it off if he enjoyed it all the worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
If there’s no physical abuse it’s not rape.
If you force someone to have sex against their will that's physical abuse.

Sometimes a wife calls it a rape just because. Even when it wasn’t. And to top it off if he enjoyed it all the worse.
Sometimes the moon is aligned with the sun in a way that largely blocks the sun from view. But mostly it doesn't do that.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
If you force someone to have sex against their will that's physical abuse.

Sometimes the moon is aligned with the sun in a way that largely blocks the sun from view. But mostly it doesn't do that.

e283bf91584fa3722831cc192d7bdf9c.png

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
e283bf91584fa3722831cc192d7bdf9c.png

I can always tell when you have nothing of substance to add to a thread, because you post something like that...but then, I suppose I could have stopped after "post." :eek:

For those playing at home, into thinks that noting rape is an act of physical abuse and that women lying about being raped would be the exception to the rule, assuming he understood that one, is somehow like the above photo. :plain: No, really. He does.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
I can always tell when you have nothing of substance to add to a thread, because you post something like that...but then, I suppose I could have stopped after "post." :eek:

For those playing at home, into thinks that noting rape is an act of physical abuse and that women lying about being raped would be the exception to the rule, assuming he understood that one, is somehow like the above photo. :plain: No, really. He does.

b59d2b898f16b117ecd7006723bf2928.png

Gary K

Banned
I haven't read this entire thread as it's just too long to read.

Ephesians 5:22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
24 Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.
25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
28 So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.
29 For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:
30 For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.
31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Now just where in this passage does the Bible approve of rape? Rape is a crime that isn't about sex, but about asserting power over another person. It's about domination, not sex. That has been proven many times through interviews with convicted rapists.

So where in our relationship with God does He use overwhelming force against us? Where does He use force on us to at all? He uses love, compassion, kindness, etc... to draw us to Him. IOWs, God uses exactly the opposite concepts of rape in His dealings with us. Then He tells us, through Paul, to deal that same way with our wives.

Men are told in the above passage of scripture to love their wives as Jesus loves His church, and to love their wives as they love themselves. Does that mean that men really want to be forced to do things against their own will by God? Is that kind of idea/behavior what Paul is really teaching here? I don't see it in the least. As a husband and wife are one flesh, does a husband so despise his own flesh that he can justify committing a crime based in domination against his own wife? How does that fit into that passage of scripture?

I find the thinking that a husband cannot be guilty of raping his own wife extremely bizarre. I find it completely unsupported in scripture too. God doesn't tell us to physically dominate others around us. He says love thy neighbor, do good to those who despitefully use you. Does that not include a man's wife also? It's pretty bizarre to think it doesn't. I don't know how beating up your wife in a rape fits God's injunctions to us at all for rapists use extremely violent methods in the rapes they commit.

I didn't really think this site could get this bizarre, but it has.

Status
Not open for further replies.