• This is a new section being rolled out to attract people interested in exploring the origins of the universe and the earth from a biblical perspective. Debate is encouraged and opposing viewpoints are welcome to post but certain rules must be followed. 1. No abusive tagging - if abusive tags are found - they will be deleted and disabled by the Admin team 2. No calling the biblical accounts a fable - fairy tale ect. This is a Christian site, so members that participate here must be respectful in their disagreement.

Evolution didn't happen, but is it possible?

badp

Evolutionists always resort to a probability argument. They say that even though evolution is highly improbable, it's still possible. (By "evolution" I mean supposed common descent of single-celled organisms to present day)

They say, "Given enough time, evolution will happen." I used to attack this on the grounds that the Earth simply hasn't been around long enough for evolution to happen. But an evolutionist could say, "Although it's highly improbable for evolution to happen in 6000 years, it's still possible."

Evolution even happening is improbable. But so is evolution happening in a few thousand years. If the academic elite who push evolution decided tomorrow that evolution actually happened in 6,000 years, would we use probability to refute that? They would just say, "It's still possible." It seems that attacking evolution on probability grounds is a losing argument.

I get the implications of throwing out probability. To be consistent you'd have to throw out forensic analysis, copyright laws, lotteries, gambling, medicine, construction, meteorology, etc. But most evolutionists don't even think about the implications of their belief, let alone care.

What I'm looking for is a non-probability-based argument against evolution's possibility. Obviously, it didn't actually happen, and it's not happening. The evidence is overwhelmingly against common descent. But is it actually impossible? And how do you prove it's impossible?

Quetzal

Evolutionists always resort to a probability argument. They say that even though evolution is highly improbable, it's still possible.
I want to stop you right there. Who says this? When? Under what context?

badp

I want to stop you right there. Who says this? When? Under what context?

Well, some dude named Richard Dawkins wrote a book called Climbing Mount Improbable.

Evolutionists use the word "probably" all the time in the context of what they think happened.

Quetzal

I'm guessing you don't have an answer to the question.
Brother, we can't even make it past your first sentence without you back tracking. What makes you even think that I read any further in this waste of cyber space?

badp

You seem to feel threatened by the question.

Unless you live under a rock, you know full well that evolutionists do not say evolution is "just a theory." They (Dawkins included) say it is a "fact."

Quetzal

You seem to feel threatened by the question.
You can assume all you want, no matter how wrong you really are.

Unless you live under a rock, you know full well that evolutionists do not say evolution is "just a theory." They (Dawkins included) say it is a "fact."
You keep using this ridiculous blanket statement to try to make your (very weak) point. You just told me...

badp said:
Evolutionists always resort to a probability argument. They say that even though evolution is highly improbable
But at the same time claim evolutionists say it is fact? Pick a side, Senator. Do evolutionists claim it to be a "fact" or "highly improbable"?

badp

Not even, but you have contradicted yourself within 5 posts of your OP. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about, you should be embarrassed. Have a good night. :wave2:

The fact you think I contradicted myself is exactly why I asked the question. :)

Okay, I'll spell it out. Highly improbable things happen all the time. Being a fact has nothing to do with probability.

Interplanner

Evolutionists always resort to a probability argument. They say that even though evolution is highly improbable, it's still possible. (By "evolution" I mean supposed common descent of single-celled organisms to present day)

They say, "Given enough time, evolution will happen." I used to attack this on the grounds that the Earth simply hasn't been around long enough for evolution to happen. But an evolutionist could say, "Although it's highly improbable for evolution to happen in 6000 years, it's still possible."

Evolution even happening is improbable. But so is evolution happening in a few thousand years. If the academic elite who push evolution decided tomorrow that evolution actually happened in 6,000 years, would we use probability to refute that? They would just say, "It's still possible." It seems that attacking evolution on probability grounds is a losing argument.

I get the implications of throwing out probability. To be consistent you'd have to throw out forensic analysis, copyright laws, lotteries, gambling, medicine, construction, meteorology, etc. But most evolutionists don't even think about the implications of their belief, let alone care.

What I'm looking for is a non-probability-based argument against evolution's possibility. Obviously, it didn't actually happen, and it's not happening. The evidence is overwhelmingly against common descent. But is it actually impossible? And how do you prove it's impossible?

You might check an NRBTV broadcast from last fall of a creation conference that was pretty recent. There was a paper given on a fruit fly and the researcher was showing that the fly's reproductive stage was at the end of his life, while the mutations were at the beginning. Since they were at the beginning and died with him, there never was a way for them to become definitive for it. The bug's name was C. or F. elegantis. The fact that it is a simpler life form than human (who can reproduce relatively early) meant that the mutations that would be needed for evolution's results today would not have been there.

Arthur Brain

The fact you think I contradicted myself is exactly why I asked the question. :)

Okay, I'll spell it out. Highly improbable things happen all the time. Being a fact has nothing to do with probability.

You did contradict yourself and are even starting to make Stripe look knowledgeable in the field of science. No mean feat...

:plain: