Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

Stuu

What (if anything) do you mean? Are you saying that it is right to call birds, "avian dinosaurs", and (in rare agreement with rational people) saying that it is wrong to call birds "dinosaurs"?

By your phrase, "avian dinosaurs", are you referring to dinosaurs, or are you referring to non-dinosaurs? Which?
I am referring to the three angels dancing on your pinhead.

Stuart

Alate_One

By your word, "birds", here, are you referring to dinosaurs, or are you referring to non-dinosaurs? Which?
Birds are a category WITHIN the category of Dinosaurs. Just as squares are a category within the category of rectangles. Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square.

It's like arguing that a Toyota Corolla AND a Camry cannot both be Toyotas. Are they identical? Of course not but they both are part of the category Toyota.

Your problem isn't evolution it's the very concept of a category containing other categories.

No bird is identical to any dinosaur. Every bird is identical to a bird.
Uhh what? You've really gone off of the deep end here. No, bird species is identical to any other bird species. And really no individual bird is identical to any other, save a clone and even then it still isn't totally identical.

Bird is a CATEGORY with a specific definition, just as Dinosaur, amniote and vertebrate are also categories. The definitions of those categories become progressively more inclusive so that they include more groups of organisms. That is a nested hierarchy.

At this point you're either incapable of understanding that concept or you're intentionally trying to make it sound nonsensical with your own illogical argument.

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
Birds are a category WITHIN the category of Dinosaurs.

Did Charles Linnaeus tell you that? Of course he didn't. And well he didn't, since it's false. Though, you'll still abuse his name to try to promote the stupidities you're trying to sell as a Darwin cheerleader. The truth is, birds are a category WITHOUT the category of dinosaurs; birds are a category WITHIN the category of non-dinosaurs. In fact, birds are inside the category of non-dinosaurs along with fish, porcupines, and Ford Mustangs, and every Cuisinart product: just as neither a fish, a porcupine, a Ford Mustang, nor a Cuisinart is a non-dinosaur, so also every bird is a non-dinosaur.

squares are a category within the category of rectangles.

True. So what?

Every square is a rectangle but not every rectangle is a square.

True. So what?

It's like arguing that a Toyota Corolla AND a Camry cannot both be Toyotas. Are they identical? Of course not but they both are part of the category Toyota.

Uh-oh, another one of your orphaned pronouns, here: "It". What's "like arguing that a Toyota Corolla AND a Camry cannot both be Toyotas"?

Your problem isn't evolution it's the very concept of a category containing other categories.

Me? I've no problem with categories containing categories. You, on the other hand, have got a problem with the category, "everything". See, this category, "everything", is exhausted by its two, immediate subcategories: "dinosaurs" and "non-dinosaurs". Whatever there is is either a dinosaur or a non-dinosaur. What you, in your fairy tale magic mentality, bitterly disdain, is the fact that there's no going outside these two categories, "dinosaur" and "non-dinosaur": it angers you--the fact that whatever is not a dinosaur is a non-dinosaur, and that whatever is not a non-dinosaur is a dinosaur. You wish that, somehow, you could have it so that something could be not a dinosaur, yet also, at the same time, not a non-dinosaur. You'll not be getting your wish, though.

Why be disgruntled at me, though? I'm just the messenger of the truth.

Uhh what? You've really gone off of the deep end here.

By saying, "No bird is identical to any dinosaur", and, "Every bird is identical to a bird", I've gone off the deep end? How so?

No, bird species is identical to any other bird species.

I take it the comma was a typo.

Where'd I say such a thing as, "A bird species is identical to another bird species"? That's right: nowhere.

And really no individual bird is identical to any other,

Where'd I say such a thing as, "An individual bird is identical to another individual bird"? That's right: nowhere.

save a clone and even then it still isn't totally identical.

Why pretend as though you are presenting an exception to what you just stated, and then turn around and contradict yourself by saying that it isn't an exception to what you had just stated?

Bird is a CATEGORY with a specific definition,

So, tell us what is your "specific definition" of your category, "Bird". Tell us what is the sine qua non of being a bird; tell us what is the sine qua non of being a non-bird.

just as Dinosaur, amniote and vertebrate are also categories.

Tell us what is your "specific definition" of your category, "Dinosaur". Tell us what is the sine qua non of being a dinosaur; tell us what is the sine qua non of being a non-dinosaur.

The definitions of those categories become progressively more inclusive so that they include more groups of organisms. That is a nested hierarchy.

In other words, you will call more than just dinosaurs, "dinosaurs": you will also call non-dinosaurs, such as birds, "dinosaurs".

At this point you're either incapable of understanding that concept or you're intentionally trying to make it sound nonsensical with your own illogical argument.

Lay out for us, premise by premise, exactly what it is you are calling "your own illogical argument".

Alate_One

Did Charles Linnaeus tell you that? Of course he didn't. And well he didn't, since it's false.
No, he didn't because they hardly had any dinosaur fossils at the time. Linnaeus did tell us that all mammals share certain characteristics together, including humans.

Though, you'll still abuse his name to try to promote the stupidities you're trying to sell as a Darwin cheerleader. The truth is, birds are a category WITHOUT the category of dinosaurs; birds are a category WITHIN the category of non-dinosaurs.
Wrong. Dinosaurs are pillar erect (legs straight under the body) in their skeletal structure. Reptilian in origin, diapsids with extra holes in the skull.

More specifically birds are theropod dinosaurs with three forward facing toes, bipedal posture, a wishbone and a three fingered hand.
https://www.birdnote.org/show/wishbones-and-dinosaurs

We also see plenty of fossils of theropod dinosaurs with pennaceous feathers.

So, if Birds are, in your opinion, "non-dinosaurs" then is this also a "non-dinosaur"?

02microraptor-fossil2-sm.jpg

7djengo7

So, if Birds are, in your opinion, "non-dinosaurs" then is this also a "non-dinosaur"?

02microraptor-fossil2-sm.jpg

If by your pronoun, "this", you are referring to the rock in your picture, my answer would be that that rock is also a non-dinosaur. I, myself, would not say that any rock is a dinosaur.

Why do you put quotes around the word, 'non-dinosaur'? Do you consider the word, 'non-dinosaur', to be somehow illegitimate? Is every thing that exists a dinosaur? Obviously only an abject fool would answer this question by saying, "Yes, every thing that exists is a dinosaur." Now, I don't mean to hurt your feelings, but I'll break it to you that--though you may imagine otherwise--not every thing that exists is a dinosaur. And so, the word, 'non-dinosaur', is a perfectly legitimate name of every thing that isn't a dinosaur. By saying, "That thing is a non-dinosaur", I am saying, "That thing is a thing that is not a dinosaur". That's pretty simple, no? Is your washing machine a dinosaur? Of course not; hence, your washing machine is a non-dinosaur. No need for quotes where you (for whatever motivation) might be tempted to put quotes. It's strange that you have this reservation against saying, "Is this also a non-dinosaur?"--which reservation somehow urges you to say, instead, "Is this also a "non-dinosaur"?"

Which do you consider the rock (in the picture you showed me) to be?
  • a dinosaur
  • a non-dinosaur

Alate_One

If by your pronoun, "this", you are referring to the rock in your picture, my answer would be that that rock is also a non-dinosaur. I, myself, would not say that any rock is a dinosaur.
You could, I don't know, NOT be intentionally dense? If I say this and produce an image, it's pretty obvious what I'm referring to. It's not a rock, it's a fossil with sufficient preservation of the feathers to allow scientists to ascertain the creature's original coloration. So that means it's the partially preserved remains of a once living organism. And those remains should belong to some category or another.

Was that organism a dinosaur or not? In your opinion.

I certainly have a position on the matter, but you're now the one that's refusing to answer. You said birds are non-dinosaurs.

Is the creature I posted a picture of earlier, a dinosaur or non-dinosaur? It's the same question you keep insisting on others answering and now you won't answer it yourself.

Last edited:

7djengo7

You could, I don't know, NOT be intentionally dense? If I say this and produce an image, it's pretty obvious what I'm referring to. It's not a rock, it's a fossil with sufficient preservation of the feathers to allow scientists to ascertain the creature's original coloration. So that means it's the partially preserved remains of a once living organism. And those remains should belong to some category or another.

Was that organism a dinosaur or not? In your opinion.

I do not assume that the rock (or rock-like thing) in your picture--or some portion thereof--is remains of any organism. Why should anybody think that it is? Because you, and lots of other people calling yourselves "Science" say that it is? Why do you think that it is?

The chunk of material in your picture is no organism, and so, the chunk of material in your picture is not a dinosaur, nor a bird. And I do not even assume that the chunk of material in your picture--nor even a portion of it--is the remains of an organism, is the remains of a dinosaur, is the remains of a bird, is the remains of a cat, is the remains of a porcupine, etc. Why should I think that it is?

I certainly have a position on the matter, but you're now the one that's refusing to answer.

How is my saying, "No, the chunk of material in your picture is not an organism, and No, the chunk of material in your picture is not a dinosaur, and No, the chunk of material in your picture is not a bird," a refusal, on my part, to answer a question? And, what (if any) question are you saying I am refusing to answer?

You said birds are non-dinosaurs.

Yeah. So? I also said that no rock-like chunk of material, like what appears in your picture, is a dinosaur. Neither is it a bird. Did you know that some things can be BOTH non-dinosaur AND non-bird AND non-animal?

Is the creature I posted a picture of earlier, a dinosaur or non-dinosaur?

If by "creature", you mean "organism", again, I say that, so far as I can tell, you posted no picture of a creature. Why should I beg the question you're begging?

It's the same question you keep insisting on others answering and now you won't answer it yourself.

Wait...refresh my memory. I ask lots and lots of questions, no? To which (if any) of my questions are you referring, here, by your phase, "the same question..."?

What's especially hilarious is that you, and others, think that the picture you posted displays the remains of A FISH!!!

Alate_One

I do not assume that the rock (or rock-like thing) in your picture--or some portion thereof--is remains of any organism. Why should anybody think that it is? Because you, and lots of other people calling yourselves "Science" say that it is? Why do you think that it is?

The chunk of material in your picture is no organism, and so, the chunk of material in your picture is not a dinosaur, nor a bird. And I do not even assume that the chunk of material in your picture--nor even a portion of it--is the remains of an organism, is the remains of a dinosaur, is the remains of a bird, is the remains of a cat, is the remains of a porcupine, etc. Why should I think that it is?

Because if you crack open a rock and it has something in it that looks a bit like the bones of things walking around today, what else should I think it is?

Are you one of those people that thinks Satan put fossils in the ground to confuse us?

If you can't accept the evidence of objects in front of you I don't know how we can have a conversation since you don't even accept reality.

7djengo7

Because if you crack open a rock and it has something in it that looks a bit like the bones of things walking around today, what else should I think it is?

I've not cracked into a rock and found something that looks like bones.

Now, the picture you posted--is it a photograph of something you claim to have found in the ground, or is it a photograph of something someone else claims to have found in the ground?

Are you one of those people that thinks Satan put fossils in the ground to confuse us?

No. I'm one of those people who think that Satan put Darwinists and other lying, Bible-despising irrationalists into his service to try to confuse people.

Why should anybody believe that the provenance of something in a picture handed out by Darwinists is what Darwinists and other lying, Bible-despising irrationalists claim it is?

[Piltdown Man] is the only actual Hoax on your list. But not many scientists were convinced by it since it did not fit well with the other evidence.

Did Satan put Piltdown Man in the ground to try to confuse people?

If you can't accept the evidence of objects in front of you I don't know how we can have a conversation since you don't even accept reality.

Translation: "If you can't take Darwinism's word for it that the picture I posted is evidence for Darwinism, then I'll just have to take my leave of you and try to find some hapless mark, instead, who will fall for it."

7djengo7

I.e. Dinosaur fossils are a hoax.

I.e. User Name continues to stonewall against the question I asked him:

Why should anybody believe that the provenance of something in a picture handed out by User Name is what User Name claims it is?

7djengo7

Oh, so dinosaur fossils are a hoax? Got it.

Oh, so you're a liar? Got it. Again.

That you are a liar, of course, is why you have to continue to stonewall against the question I've been asking you:

Why should anybody believe that the provenance of something in a picture handed out by User Name is what User Name claims it is?

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned

Well if you think it might be a hoax, why don't you suss it out? Should be good for a laugh at least!