Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

Greg Jennings

So you're lecturing me (incorrectly) on the shape of the Earth, but you don't know why it is spherical. Great.

I can tell you why it is. But that's not what you asked. You asked me if I would hear your explanation. I said yes, and now you're trying to somehow use that against me.

Everyone sees through that charade, Stripe

Greg Jennings

That remains your ignorance.
If you say so

Tell us what you did exactly a year ago on Oct 09, 2014. How measurable is that, or are you simply not present that day for any truth to exist?

I don't know off the top of my head. But by looking at different things around the house and internet I can gather enough evidence to give you an answer as to what I was doing and that I certainly existed. Which is exactly how scientists use evidence to discover things in the past. Obviously they don't use the Internet and things around my house, but they use data and observation of the natural world

Last edited:

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I can tell you why it is.

Great. Please proceed. :thumb:

After you describe the force that is making the Earth spherical, we can compare it with the factors that make it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Then once you've settled on which non-spherical shape you think the Earth is, we can compare the forces involved. Whichever force is greater, that's the shape we will go with.

Deal?

Hawkins

If you say so

I don't know off the top of my head. But by looking at different things around the house and internet I can gather enough evidence to give you an answer. Which is exactly how scientists use evidence to discover things in the past.

No. In your life you never present evidence like that to tell others what you did. Others will not demand your evidence to get to the truth. They rely on faith in you to accept what you said about what you did.

That's the reality you are living!

Only in specific scenarios that a difference than this will be made. Science happens to be one of these scenarios.

Moreover, human history as a category of truth is mostly unsupported by evidence. History is basically a mixture of human witnessing. You need faith or no truth can be presented.

That's the reality you are living!

Greg Jennings

Great. Please proceed. :thumb:

After you describe the force that is making the Earth spherical, we can compare it with the factors that make it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Then once you've settled on which non-spherical shape you think the Earth is, we can compare the forces involved. Whichever force is greater, that's the shape we will go with.

Deal?

No deal. I gave you NASA's testimony that the Earth is egg-shaped. I don't pretend to think I know better than they.

On why the Earth is round: it's the same reason all celestial objects with a certain amount of mass are - gravity! When you get enough matter together then gravity compacts it together. Because of the force constantly pushing in you tend to get spherical or spheroid shapes for these celestial bodies

Greg Jennings

No. In your life you never present evidence like that to tell others what you did. Others will not demand your evidence to get to the truth. They rely on faith in you to accept what you said about what you did.
And what if I'm lying? Employers do background checks and don't rely on faith alone for that very reason

Only in specific scenarios that a difference than this will be made. Science happens to be one of these scenarios.
We certainly agree on that

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
... the Earth is egg-shaped.

egg-ruhlman.jpg

:darwinsm:

Hawkins

And what if I'm lying? Employers do background checks and don't rely on faith alone for that very reason

You thus always need FAITH!

How will you be able to examine someone's background who is living 2000 years ago? What do you say about the grandpa of your own grandpa. You have all the evidence of their existence or they didn't exist at all?

Your confusion is coming from you assume that all kinds of truths can be evidenced. The reality is, only scientific events and present events can be evidenced.

Greg Jennings

You thus always need FAITH!

How will you be able to examine someone's background who is living 2000 years ago? What do you say about the grandpa of your own grandpa. You have all the evidence of their existence or they didn't exist at all?

I think we're agreeing that there is a gap between what constitutes science and what constitutes faith.

Hawkins

I think we're agreeing that there is a gap between what constitutes science and what constitutes faith.

Let me tell you this. Humans rely mostly on witnessing to get to a truth. This is the case even applying to science.

You (or 99% of humans) don't examine the existence of black holes. They rely on putting faith in a small group of humans (the scientists) which they have faith this small group of humans are more knowledgeable about the truth. This process is the process of witnessing.

Humans seldom rely on examining evidence to get to a truth. And not all truth can be evidenced.

Greg Jennings

Stripe: you are correct that the Earth is only visibly egg-shaped during the periods which you mention.

Spheroid is the proper term for the Earth's natural state of shape, which is slightly off from a pure sphere.

Greg Jennings

Let me tell you this. Humans rely mostly on witnessing to get to a truth. This is the case even applying to science.

You (or 99% of humans) don't examine the existence of black holes. They rely on putting faith in a small group of humans (the scientists) which they have faith this small group of humans are more knowledgeable about the truth. This process is the process of witnessing.

Humans seldom rely on examining evidence to get to a truth. And not all truth can be evidenced.

Your point is taken. I have faith that scientists aren't deliberately trying to deceive the whole world, but I don't think that's a radical opinion

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I don't pretend to think.
OK.
On why the Earth is round: it's the same reason all celestial objects with a certain amount of mass are - gravity! When you get enough matter together then gravity compacts it together. Because of the force constantly pushing in you tend to get spherical or spheroid shapes for these celestial bodies
Right. :thumb:

Now compare that with either the force that tends to make the Earth egg-shaped or pear-shaped (you never did pick which edible you think the world resembles :chuckle: ). Which of the three forces is greater? The answer to that will allow you to independently arrive at the same conclusion NASA did. :up:

Greg Jennings

OK.
Right. :thumb:

Now compare that with either the force that tends to make the Earth egg-shaped or pear-shaped (you never did pick which edible you think the world resembles :chuckle: ). Which of the three forces is greater? The answer to that will allow you to independently arrive at the same conclusion NASA did. :up:

Doctoring quotes is juvenile, Stripe.

Egg-shaped and pear-shaped are describing the same phenomenon.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Stripe: you are correct that the Earth is only visibly egg-shaped during the periods which you mention.
What? :AMR: What "periods"?

The Earth is never "visibly egg-shaped."

Spheroid is the proper term for the Earth's natural state of shape, which is slightly off from a pure sphere.

Nothing is a perfect sphere. By your standards, we should be calling billiard balls "pear shaped."