Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by alwight View Post
    An unknown.
    And all we are saying is that He can be known; which brings us full circle to why this conversation exists.
    Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

Comment

• Originally posted by George Affleck View Post
      So what do you call that which is infinite, outside of time, and uncaused?

Fred?
      An untestable conjecture. It's philosophy.

Though I very much like Fred

Comment

And all we are saying is that He can be known; which brings us full circle to why this conversation exists.
        Then I can only presume that He can only become known to some people but not others.

Comment

• Originally posted by alwight View Post
          Then I can only presume that He can only become known to some people but not others.
          Correct
          Religion is man's attempt to make himself acceptable to God. Christianity is God making man acceptable to Himself.

It is true that Trump does not fit modern Republican principles, but that is because modern Republican principles have strayed far from conservatism. genuineoriginal

Comment

• Originally posted by Greg Jennings View Post
            An untestable conjecture. It's philosophy.
            And all this time I thought you were calling for logic!

Comment

And all this time I thought you were calling for logic!
              I am. Which is why I think answers that are pure philosophy leave something wanting

Comment

I am. Which is why I think answers that are pure philosophy leave something wanting
                Well, I think we made progress.
                You admit there is a reasonable logic behind the assertion that there is an uncaused, infinite cause for the finite universe.

And I admit that taking the final leap to calling that cause God is what defines religion; particularly Christian belief.

Comment

Hmm. I guess you don't see the difference between "extremely spherical" and "totally round"?
                  As has been pointed out, nobody claimed "totally round." Spherical is accurate. Egg-shaped or pear-shaped is not.

And yes, it is egg or pear shaped ever so slightly, just as my link described.
                  1. The two shapes describe different effects, not the shape of the Earth.
                  2. The Earth is properly described as spherical.

So do you think that describing a circle with a dome over the top (a hemisphere) is a better description than egg-shaped?
                  1. The Bible doesn't describe a circle with a dome over it.
                  2. The Koran doesn't say anything more than the Bible.

If I fail at conversations, then you're failing a lot harder
                  My comment was not directed at you.
                  Where is the evidence for a global flood?
                  E≈mc2
                  "the best maths don't need no stinkin' numbers"

"The waters under the 'expanse' were under the crust."
                  -Bob B.

Comment

Well, I think we made progress.
                    You admit there is a reasonable logic behind the assertion that there is an uncaused, infinite cause for the finite universe.

And I admit that taking the final leap to calling that cause God is what defines religion; particularly Christian belief.
                    Then indeed we are in agreement, George. We did it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                      As has been pointed out, nobody claimed "totally round." Spherical is accurate. Egg-shaped or pear-shaped is not.
                      "Pear-shaped" came from NASA. Therefore I think it's probably accurate

Originally posted by Stripe View Post
                      1. The two shapes describe different effects, not the shape of the Earth.
                      When those effects are seen every second of every hour of every day, then yes they do describe the shape of the Earth
                      2. The Earth is properly described as spherical.
                      It's a reasonable description for sure, just not totally accurate. And I don't think that the Bible says "spherical" does it?

1. The Bible doesn't describe a circle with a dome over it.
                      Isaiah 40:22 clearly describes a flat circle with the heavens stretched over it like a tent. That would be a hemisphere, or dome.
                      2. The Koran doesn't say anything more than the Bible.
                      Egg-shaped is far more accurate than hemisphere.

My comment was not directed at you.
                      My mistake
                      Last edited by Greg Jennings; October 8th, 2015, 10:09 PM. Reason: Spelling

Comment

Then indeed we are in agreement, George. We did it!
                        Hallelujah! Praise the infinite cause.

Do you think infinite cause should be capitalized?

Comment

"Pear-shaped" came from NASA. Therefore I think it's probably accurate.
                          They used the phrase to describe an effect caused by the Earth's rotation. Their description of the Earth is "spherical."

When those effects are seen every second of every hour of every day, then yes they do describe the shape of the Earth
                          The Earth is not shaped like an egg or a pear. It is spherical — as much as any other object could be called spherical. The slight effects of rotation do not change the proper description.

It's a reasonable description for sure, just not totally accurate.
                          Of course it's accurate. We wouldn't call the Earth round if it wasn't round.

And I don't think that the Bible says "spherical" does it?
                          What?

Isaiah 40:22 clearly describes a flat circle with the heavens stretched over it like a tent. That would be a hemisphere, or dome.
                          No, it doesn't.

Egg-shaped is far more accurate than hemisphere.
                          The Earth is round, not egg-shaped.
                          The Koran says no more about the Earth than the Bible.
                          E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

They used the phrase to describe an effect caused by the Earth's rotation. Their description of the Earth is "spherical."

The Earth is not shaped like an egg or a pear. It is spherical — as much as any other object could be called spherical. The slight effects of rotation do not change the proper description.

Of course it's accurate. We wouldn't call the Earth round if it wasn't round.

What?

No, it doesn't.

The Earth is round, not egg-shaped.
                            The Koran says no more about the Earth than the Bible.
                            Stripe my friend, shaking your head and stamping your feet in defiance does nothing to change facts, I'm afraid. As such, you denying plain facts does yourself no favors here. You have been shown to be incorrect on the subjects of your post here. Pretending that is not so makes no difference, and it makes you appear less intelligent than I think you likely are. But if you want to continue this charade that's up to you.
                            Last edited by Greg Jennings; October 8th, 2015, 11:15 PM. Reason: Grammar

Comment

You have been shown to be incorrect.
                              But you're not going to explain how or where.

The Earth is properly described as spherical. It would be incorrect to call it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Those descriptions are only useful for describing how rotation slightly distorts the Earth's sphericity.

Do you even know why the Earth is round?

And the Koran says nothing more than the Bible on the shape of the Earth.
                              E≈mc2

-Bob B.

Comment

But you're not going to explain how or where.

The Earth is properly described as spherical. It would be incorrect to call it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Those descriptions are only useful for describing how rotation slightly distorts the Earth's sphericity.

Do you even know why the Earth is round?

And the Koran says nothing more than the Bible on the shape of the Earth.
                                Stripe just read what I posted to you earlier. I know better than to get in these exchanges that you get in with others where you simply repeat things over and over that you've been shown are false repeatedly. You just don't care about the facts it seems. You're an activist, not a scientist.

I'll give you one more shot and ask you this: how is a hemisphere a better description of the Earth's shape than egg-shaped?

Comment

Working...
                                X