Biological Taxonomy - Kinds vs. Species (Linnaean taxonomy)

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I am. Which is why I think answers that are pure philosophy leave something wanting

Well, I think we made progress.
You admit there is a reasonable logic behind the assertion that there is an uncaused, infinite cause for the finite universe.

And I admit that taking the final leap to calling that cause God is what defines religion; particularly Christian belief.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hmm. I guess you don't see the difference between "extremely spherical" and "totally round"?
As has been pointed out, nobody claimed "totally round." Spherical is accurate. Egg-shaped or pear-shaped is not.

And yes, it is egg or pear shaped ever so slightly, just as my link described.
1. The two shapes describe different effects, not the shape of the Earth.
2. The Earth is properly described as spherical.

So do you think that describing a circle with a dome over the top (a hemisphere) is a better description than egg-shaped?
1. The Bible doesn't describe a circle with a dome over it.
2. The Koran doesn't say anything more than the Bible.

If I fail at conversations, then you're failing a lot harder
My comment was not directed at you.

Greg Jennings

Well, I think we made progress.
You admit there is a reasonable logic behind the assertion that there is an uncaused, infinite cause for the finite universe.

And I admit that taking the final leap to calling that cause God is what defines religion; particularly Christian belief.

Then indeed we are in agreement, George. We did it!

Greg Jennings

As has been pointed out, nobody claimed "totally round." Spherical is accurate. Egg-shaped or pear-shaped is not.
"Pear-shaped" came from NASA. Therefore I think it's probably accurate

1. The two shapes describe different effects, not the shape of the Earth.
When those effects are seen every second of every hour of every day, then yes they do describe the shape of the Earth
2. The Earth is properly described as spherical.
It's a reasonable description for sure, just not totally accurate. And I don't think that the Bible says "spherical" does it?

1. The Bible doesn't describe a circle with a dome over it.
Isaiah 40:22 clearly describes a flat circle with the heavens stretched over it like a tent. That would be a hemisphere, or dome.
2. The Koran doesn't say anything more than the Bible.
Egg-shaped is far more accurate than hemisphere.

My comment was not directed at you.
My mistake

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"Pear-shaped" came from NASA. Therefore I think it's probably accurate.
They used the phrase to describe an effect caused by the Earth's rotation. Their description of the Earth is "spherical."

When those effects are seen every second of every hour of every day, then yes they do describe the shape of the Earth
The Earth is not shaped like an egg or a pear. It is spherical — as much as any other object could be called spherical. The slight effects of rotation do not change the proper description.

It's a reasonable description for sure, just not totally accurate.
Of course it's accurate. :AMR: We wouldn't call the Earth round if it wasn't round.

And I don't think that the Bible says "spherical" does it?
What? :AMR:

Isaiah 40:22 clearly describes a flat circle with the heavens stretched over it like a tent. That would be a hemisphere, or dome.
No, it doesn't.

Egg-shaped is far more accurate than hemisphere.
The Earth is round, not egg-shaped.
The Koran says no more about the Earth than the Bible.

Greg Jennings

They used the phrase to describe an effect caused by the Earth's rotation. Their description of the Earth is "spherical."

The Earth is not shaped like an egg or a pear. It is spherical — as much as any other object could be called spherical. The slight effects of rotation do not change the proper description.

Of course it's accurate. :AMR: We wouldn't call the Earth round if it wasn't round.

What? :AMR:

No, it doesn't.

The Earth is round, not egg-shaped.
The Koran says no more about the Earth than the Bible.

Stripe my friend, shaking your head and stamping your feet in defiance does nothing to change facts, I'm afraid. As such, you denying plain facts does yourself no favors here. You have been shown to be incorrect on the subjects of your post here. Pretending that is not so makes no difference, and it makes you appear less intelligent than I think you likely are. But if you want to continue this charade that's up to you.

Last edited:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You have been shown to be incorrect.

But you're not going to explain how or where. :rolleyes:

The Earth is properly described as spherical. It would be incorrect to call it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Those descriptions are only useful for describing how rotation slightly distorts the Earth's sphericity.

Do you even know why the Earth is round?

And the Koran says nothing more than the Bible on the shape of the Earth.

Greg Jennings

But you're not going to explain how or where. :rolleyes:

The Earth is properly described as spherical. It would be incorrect to call it egg-shaped or pear-shaped. Those descriptions are only useful for describing how rotation slightly distorts the Earth's sphericity.

Do you even know why the Earth is round?

And the Koran says nothing more than the Bible on the shape of the Earth.

Stripe just read what I posted to you earlier. I know better than to get in these exchanges that you get in with others where you simply repeat things over and over that you've been shown are false repeatedly. You just don't care about the facts it seems. You're an activist, not a scientist.

I'll give you one more shot and ask you this: how is a hemisphere a better description of the Earth's shape than egg-shaped?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You've been shown are false repeatedly.
The Earth is spherical. Your link explicitly stated so. "The shape of the Geode, as it is called, is nearly a perfect sphere."

I'll give you one more shot and ask you this: how is a hemisphere a better description of the Earth's shape than egg-shaped?

The Bible does not describe a "hemisphere." The Earth is not egg-shaped.

Greg Jennings

The Earth is spherical. Your link explicitly stated so. "The shape of the Geode, as it is called, is nearly a perfect sphere."

The Bible does not describe a "hemisphere." The Earth is not egg-shaped.

Let your endless ignoring of facts and answers contradictory to your belief system commence.

Hawkins

Let your endless ignoring of facts and answers contradictory to your belief system commence.

What facts.

The Bible actually serves the purpose of saving His sheep by filtering out the rest.

Luke 22:31 (NIV)
"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat.

Greg Jennings

What facts.

The Bible actually serves the purpose of saving His sheep by filtering out the rest.

Luke 22:31 (NIV)
"Simon, Simon, Satan has asked to sift you as wheat.

Facts that we as humans have gathered by observing and studying the natural world. Those facts

Hawkins

Facts that we as humans have gathered by observing and studying the natural world. Those facts

That remains humans' arrogance.

How can ancient humans examine to tell the existence of black holes and a round earth?

Similarly, how can today's human examine to tell the existence of any spiritual truths not lying inside our realm?

Ancient humans can't reach those scientific truths because their technology is futile about those truths. Similarly, today's technology is futile in reaching any spiritual truths.

Greg Jennings

That remains humans' arrogance.

How can ancient humans examine to tell the existence of black holes and a round earth?

Similarly, how can today's human examine to tell the existence of any spiritual truths not lying inside our realm?

No one is saying (at least I'm not) that there is no possible spiritual truths lying inside or outside our realm. But if they exist then they aren't measurable, and are therefore only philosophical and not scientific.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seeing as you've already admitted (correctly) that it isn't perfectly round then I fail to see the point, but go for it

So you're lecturing me (incorrectly) on the shape of the Earth, but you don't know why it is spherical. Great.

Hawkins

No one is saying (at least I'm not) that there is no possible spiritual truths lying inside or outside our realm. But if they exist then they aren't measurable, and are therefore only philosophical and not scientific.

That remains your ignorance.

Tell us what you did exactly a year ago on Oct 09, 2014. How measurable is that, or are you simply not present that day for any truth to exist?