Geneaologies: Fact or Fiction

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Genealogies: Fact or Fiction
The title of this thread presents a false dichotomy. The genealogies are not meant to present history and a timeline in the sense that we moderns think of it.
Uh, what is another category besides true or false?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some of the genealogies are meant to teach how the different nations of earth are related. Not necessarily as lists of actual people.

So those would be fictional, right?

I can never understand why people use the term “masoretes,” or “masorites,” or any other of the various spellings that I have seen, thinking it refers to any group of people. It seems like these bewildered and foolish people seem to think that it was a group of people from a fictional place called “Masorah” or something. However, in the real world, that cannot be further from the truth.

The confusion here lies within the total lack of understanding of the Hebrew language. The word in question is – מַסּוֹרֶת massoret which is the construct form, or genitive, or possessive, or whatever you want to call it, of the feminine noun – מַסוֹרָה masorah; which is related to, but not identical in meaning to the masculine noun – מָסוֹר masor.

Both of these words come from the root verb – מָסַר masar, which means “to transmit,” “to deliver,” “to hand over,” “to pass down, etc.” Whereas the masculine version of the noun refers to being a traitor, as in giving vital information to the enemy; the feminine version means tradition, as in handing things down from father to son. And the specific word – מַסּוֹרֶת massoret means “tradition of.” Therefore massoretic text means “traditional text of.”

“Massoretes” were not a specific group of people from a specific region or anything else; in fact “massoretes” were not a people at all. They were just concerned with Jews in the diaspora forgetting their native language, and wanted to prevent that. They added vowels and accentuation marks and nothing else, as is perfectly visible when comparing the Great Isaiah Scroll with the Aleppo Codex which are 1,100 years apart.

Masorah means passed down tradition; nothing else.

And if Mr. Wick Stick has the specific catalogue number of the document that he is talking about, I certainly would appreciate it. Because after 10 years of working in the field of papyrology, some 35 years ago, I have never heard of such a document.

Wick Stick

Yoḥanon-benYaʿăqov;4435163 said:
And if Mr. Wick Stick has the specific catalogue number of the document that he is talking about, I certainly would appreciate it. Because after 10 years of working in the field of papyrology, some 35 years ago, I have never heard of such a document.
Afraid not. Hazard of reposting something that is several years old. A quick search turned up that items 1,2, & 4 here are common, but I couldn't find the 197 number.

1 - Enoch is said to have fathered Methusaleh at 165 instead of 65.
2 - Enoch is said to have lived 200 years rather than 300 years before being raptured.
3 - Methusaleh is said to have fathered Lamech at 197 instead of 187.
4 - Methusaleh is said to have lived another 802 years after the birth, rather than 782.

Jarrod

daqq

Hi daq,

Long time no see. (I assume you are the same person. I haven't met too many people with that handle.)

Jarrod

You remembered correctly and it appears that I did too. :thumb: :)
I also remember YohanonDB and his hatchet man 7x70. :crackup:

PS ~

And Yared lives an hundred and sixty and two years and he produces Enoch:
And Yared lives after he produces Enoch eight hundred years and he produces sons and daughters:
And all the days of Yared are nine hundred and sixty and two years and he dies.
And Enoch lives an hundred and sixty and five years and he produces Methuselah:
And Enoch walks well pleasing with the Elohim after he produces Methuselah two hundred years and he produces sons and daughters:
And all the days of Enoch are three hundred and sixty and five years:
And Enoch walks well pleasing with the Elohim, and he is not found, for Elohim translates him.
And Methuselah lives an hundred and sixty and seven years and he produces Lamech:
And Methuselah lives after he produces Lamech eight hundred and two years and he produces sons and daughters:
And all the days of Methuselah are nine hundred and sixty and nine years and he dies.

Last edited: