To the evolutionist, I ask: Did Jesus Christ ever exist?

Cross Reference

Answering that question in the affirmative only raises the next: Was He the Son of God? If not, what was He or should I ask, "Who was He"?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Answering that question in the affirmative only raises the next: Was He the Son of God? If not, what was He or should I ask, "Who was He"?

A Christian 'evolutionist' would answer yes to both of your questions. Evolution has no bearing on Jesus' existence or potential divinity

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
double_facepalm.png

Cross Reference

A Christian 'evolutionist' would answer yes to both of your questions. Evolution has no bearing on Jesus' existence or potential divinity

Since the Christian must believe Adam could not have evolved, i.e., all human life as we know it began with Adam, I have to wonder how the sin issue could have been resolved by believing otherwise? Was Jesus a product of evolution?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
Since the Christian must believe Adam could not have evolved, i.e., all human life as we know it began with Adam, I have to wonder how the sin issue could have been resolved by believing otherwise? Was Jesus a product of evolution?

A Christian doesn't have to believe in a literal Adam at all. There is overwhelming evidence for a biological Adam, however. He was not the first human, but was possibly the first capable of abstract thought, which is crucial. We have confirmed through examining the Y-chromosome of men from all over the planet that many tens of thousands of years ago, a man lived who every person alive today is descended from.

The human part of Jesus was a product of evolution the same as any other human. The divine was not

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Since the Christian must believe Adam could not have evolved, i.e., all human life as we know it began with Adam

First, individuals don't evolve. Populations do. If Adam and Eve were the first humans to have a living soul given directly from God, then they would be the first.

There is no inconsistency in accepting the historical reality of Adam and Eve as actual people, and recognizing the fact of evolution. The Bible makes it very clear that God directly intervened to make humans. While there are certainly Christians who do not think that there were two original humans from which we all descended, I am convinced that there were.

Was Jesus a product of evolution?

He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. The biological details on how He became fully human are not given to us. Doesn't matter.

Alate_One

I agree with Barbarian and Kdall. I'd also like to point readers to Denis Lamoureux's Book - I Love Jesus and I Accept Evolution.

358869.jpg

Cross Reference

First, individuals don't evolve. Populations do. If Adam and Eve were the first humans to have a living soul given directly from God, then they would be the first.

There is no inconsistency in accepting the historical reality of Adam and Eve as actual people, and recognizing the fact of evolution. The Bible makes it very clear that God directly intervened to make humans. While there are certainly Christians who do not think that there were two original humans from which we all descended, I am convinced that there were.

He was conceived by the Holy Spirit. The biological details on how He became fully human are not given to us. Doesn't matter.

In addition to what else it does, that all just leaves you clueless with regards to Jesus Christ. But you keep at it, ok?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
In addition to what else it does, that all just leaves you clueless with regards to Jesus Christ. But you keep at it, ok?

Please enlighten us as to how we're clueless? I'm all ears, but last I checked the only qualification for being a Christian was accepting Christ

Cross Reference

Please enlighten us as to how we're clueless? I'm all ears

I gave it all up front for you to explain, so don't the pass buck back to me because you have no answers. God said, "Seek and you shall find when you seek me with all your heart". Why not take that approach for understanding the issues?

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
I gave it all up front for you to explain, so don't the pass buck back to me because you have no answers. God said, "Seek and you shall find when you seek me with all your heart". Why not take that approach for understanding the issues?

Because Jesus wasn't a scientist, and never claimed to be. He and everyone else at the time didn't even know dinosaurs existed. And more importantly, nothing I believe in contradicts the Christian faith.

Also, do you think your quote from God is supposed to be applied to everything? Are you of the opinion that scientists, instead of doing research and studying things, should instead just pray for the answers?

Interplanner

Even if evolution had a temporary role in the process of forming this world, the part of the worldview of the Bible that does not reconcile is the utter naturalist explanation of life, the absence of a designer, etc. That would be a case of time + chance + materials only. The Bible does not validate that, and common sense does not accept it.

I don't know anyone who absorbs a Rembrandt for an hour and then says 'it is amazing what paint and time can do.' Those are the same people who bought Jackson Pollock's painting apron for as much money as one of his pieces. We do things because of the image of God in us (to create form and fill it, out of formless and void).

Interplanner

Because Jesus wasn't a scientist, and never claimed to be. He and everyone else at the time didn't even know dinosaurs existed. And more importantly, nothing I believe in contradicts the Christian faith.

Also, do you think your quote from God is supposed to be applied to everything? Are you of the opinion that scientists, instead of doing research and studying things, should instead just pray for the answers?

He validated the creation account including the creation of male and female. I mean that he validated God's/His authority over that realm of relationship.

Kdall

BANNED
Banned
He validated the creation account including the creation of male and female. I mean that he validated God's/His authority over that realm of relationship.

And who's to say that God didn't use evolution as his creative mechanism? God is the most intelligent being the universe has ever known, so wouldn't it make sense for Him to utilize the most effective and efficient system of creation? Why create a bunch of unchanging creatures that would be utterly hopeless if their environments changed, if instead you could give species the ability to adapt and survive to changing conditions? Which one of those two scenarios seems smarter and more efficient? To me, common sense leads you to expect God to make the wisest decisions. And as a system of sustainable creation, evolution is FAR wiser than the creation model in Genesis.

PureX

Even your questions indicate that you have no idea what you're talking about.

What is an "evolutionist"?

What does the theory of evolution have to do with the existence of Jesus of Nazareth, or his being the Christ?

What is a "son of God"? Aren't we all "sons and daughters of God"?

Why are you even asking these questions?

6days

Barbarian said:
There is no inconsistency in accepting the historical reality of Adam and Eve as actual people, and recognizing the fact of evolution.
However there is inconsistency on believing that death, pain, suffering and extinctions are the method God chose to create.

It's inconsistent to go through scripture saying it means something other than what it says.*

Jesus said "Haven't you read the Scriptures?They record that from the beginning 'God made them male and female.'"

Exodus 20:11 For in six days God created the heavens and the earth and everything that is in them.

Jesus said "But since you do not believe what he (Moses) wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?"

Joe Boot, President of Ezra Institute for Contemporary Christianity
“Since the doctrines of Creation, the Fall and Redemption stand in an absolute historical continuum, we get a distorted worldview when we play games with Genesis.

“The apologist seeks to present biblical truth with coherence. In my experience, one cannot even formulate a compelling response to classic questions like the problem of evil and pain without a clear stand with Scripture on the creation issue.

“I have never been able to see how anyone who wants to defend the faith and proclaim the Gospel can compromise the foundation stones of that defence and then expect clear-thinking people to find a proclamation of salvation in Christ compelling.”