The Gnostic Version of the Rapture In The Apocalypse of Adam

northwye

The Gnostic Version of the Rapture In The Apocalypse of Adam

"But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
38. For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
39. And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be. 40. Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
41. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
42. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come." Matthew 24: 37-42

But Luke 17: 26-37 provides a parallel to Matthew 24: 37-42 and adds an additional and very important bit of information at the end.

"I tell you, in that night there shall be two men in one bed; the one shall be taken, and the other shall be left. 35. Two women shall be grinding together; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
36. Two men shall be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left.
37. And they answered and said unto him, Where, Lord? And he said unto them, Wheresoever the body is, thither will the eagles be gathered together." Luke 17: 34-37

Those taken in Matthew 24: 37-42, like those taken in Luke 17: 34-37 are not taken in a rapture. The Greek word in Luke 17: 37 translated as body is soma, human body, meaning a dead body around which the vultures gather.

The Apocalypse of Adam is part of the The Nag Hammadi Library, found in Egypt in 1945.

http://www.gclvx.org/The Apocalypse of Adam Commented.pdf

"The Apocalypse of Adam Commented"

"The Apocalypse of Adam, The revelation which Adam taught his son Seth in the seven hundreth year, saying: Listen to my words, my son Seth. When God had created me out of the earth, along with Eve, your mother, I went about with her in a glory which she had seen in the aeon from which we had come forth. She taught me a word of knowledge of the eternal God. And we resembled the great eternal angels, for we were higher than the god who had created us and the powers with him,
whom we did not know. Then God, the ruler of the aeons and the powers, divided us in wrath. Then we became two aeons. "

"For rain showers of God the almighty will be poured forth, so that he might destroy all flesh [of God the almighty, so that he might destroy all flesh] from the earth on account of the things that it seeks after, along with those from the seed of the men to whom passed the life of the knowledge which came from me and Eve, your mother. For they were strangers to him. Afterwards, great angels will come on high clouds, who will bring those men into the place where the spirit of life dwells [...] glory [...] there, [...] come from heaven to earth. Then the whole multitude of flesh will be left behind in the waters. Then God will rest from his wrath. And he will cast his power upon the waters, and he will give power to his sons and their wives by means of the ark along with the animals, whichever he pleased, and the birds of heaven, which he called and released upon the earth. And God will say to Noah whom the generations will call 'Deucalion' - "Behold, I have protected <you> in the ark, along with your wife and your sons and their wives and their animals and the birds of heaven, which you called and released upon the earth. Therefore I will give the earth to you and your sons. In kingly fashion you will rule over it, you and your sons. And no seed will come from you of the men who will not stand in my presence in another glory."

"....great angels will come on high clouds, who will bring those men into the place where the spirit of life dwells [...] glory [...] there, [...] come from heaven to earth. Then the whole multitude of flesh will be left behind in the waters. "

"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first:
17. Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." I Thessalonians 4: 16-17

"Behold, I shew you a mystery; We shall not all sleep, but we shall all be changed,
52. In a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trump: for the trumpet shall sound, and the dead shall be raised incorruptible, and we shall be changed." I Corinthians 15: 51-52

Although Paul does say that those belonging to Christ who are still alive at his appearing will also meet the Lord, and I Corinthians 15: 52 adds that this group too will be changed, the emphasis in I Thessalonians 4: 16-17 and in I Corinthians 15: 51-52 is on the raising of the dead in Christ and the transformation into spirit beings. The Gnostic version of the rapture just says "great angels," Gnostic angels, will bring this smaller group of men to the place where the spirit of life lives while the multitude is “left behind.”

RBBI

You know, as it was in the days of Noah, really says it all. In Noah's day only the wicked were removed from the earth. The righteous got into the Ark (Christ IS the new ark of the covenant) and were CAUGHT UP above the judgment below. Hmmm......pause for thought......