Do you know what God's Law says?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NASB - 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8 "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Yes, but of course! That's about one of the insults of the Pharisees by Jesus which I don't believe is true because Jesus would not insult a colleague of his own Faith in those terms.

I do trust the written record, but this thread is supposed to be about God's Law.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
What's about God's Law is written in the Tanach aka written record. What are you talking about? If you trust the written record, you trust the Law, you must obey it.

When I said written record I was talking about the scripture you referenced.

I do trust the Law, meaning I trust God and His Law. That which is from God is to be obeyed.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
It is all down in the Decalogue that Jesus broke if we are to believe what is written in Mat. 23:13-33.

Deuteronomy 6:4-9 NASB - 4 "Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one! 5 "You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. 6 "These words, which I am commanding you today, shall be on your heart. 7 "You shall teach them diligently to your sons and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up. 8 "You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead. 9 "You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.

What's about God's Law is written in the Tanach aka written record. What are you talking about? If you trust the written record, you trust the Law, you must obey it.

You can not claim to keep the law yet call Jesus a liar.

Rev 21:5 And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful.
Rev 21:6 And he said unto me, It is done. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end. I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.
Rev 21:7 He that overcometh shall inherit all things; and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.
Rev 21:8 But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

LA

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Matthew 23:23 NASB 23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you tithe mint and dill and cummin, and have neglected the weightier provisions of the law: justice and mercy and faithfulness; but these are the things you should have done without neglecting the others.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you referring to the law that scripture says was becoming obsolete and ready to vanish away before 70 CE?

In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13 NKJV)​

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Are you referring to the law that scripture says was becoming obsolete and ready to vanish away before 70 CE?

In that He says, “A new covenant,” He has made the first obsolete. Now what is becoming obsolete and growing old is ready to vanish away. (Hebrews 8:13 NKJV)​
We need to go over what you are saying.

In Jeremiah we find mention of a new covenant. This covenant came in Jesus Christ (Yeshua is the Messiah).

The old covenant Law, God's Law (the Law of Moses), was associated with the old covenant. That is, the Law is associated with the covenant.

You said before 70 CE. Did you mean by 70 AD? Either way, no... that is not what I meant.

Do you believe the Law is eternal?

Do you believe the old covenant has passed away?

Do you accept God's Law and the validity of the old covenant?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I believe the law is eternal.
Why do you believe this? I believe the Law is eternal. Do we believe the same thing?
I also believe I died with Christ and the laws requirement fulfilled in me saying I have to die for all the sin I have done.
If a person dies to sin that is different than a physical death. On the one hand Christ fulfilled the requirement of the Law in that He was perfect and never broke the Law. He took the punishment for our sin upon Himself when He died innocent of all charges and as a substitution for us, we who are sinners or have sinned. Then all that is left is to believe and live life the way God wants you to. In a different sense the requirement of the Law is fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. See Romans 8:1-4 NASB.
The law is for us but once we die we are released from the law.
When a person dies the Law no longer has jurisdiction over them. The example in the Bible is that if a husband or wife dies, their spouse is free to marry in that they are now no longer married. Some people would never marry again which is fine. And if a person does not know if their spouse has died the matter is then that they would continue to be faithful. Adultery is a serious sin (as all sin is serious). Even being tempted is difficult, whether a person is married or not... because from the beginning it has been a man and a woman and not anything more than this. So celibacy before marriage makes sense... it is the only way to not be committing adultery before marriage. This may be called abstaining until marriage, or to be considered to have not been involved in fornication or sexual immorality whatever a person would call it.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
My understanding is that if there was no law then no one has to die. The reason why I believe law is eternal is because Jesus said that until heaven and earth pass away by no means will the law fade away. Although sin was surely in the world before Moses but the apostle himself said that where there is no law there is no punishment. If there was no law then there is no reason for everyone to perish and die. I am not going to say then there would be no reason for Jesus to come, but the purpose of him coming was to pay for sin through the ruling of the law saying "The soul who sins shall die".

I think of the law as less a physical burden and more of a spiritual one. If I am to take what you are saying with our physical death is the end of the law for a human being then I believe in that too. However I believe Jesus took up the burden that is I and also the whole world at his baptism. Through this he carried me, you and everyone else to the cross and was judged for our sin through his personal crucifixion. Through that the law is fulfilled in us and now we are separated from the law.

I see the law as more of a condemning feature in the bible rather than one that saves us. Jesus came and used the law to save us. He fulfilled all the requirements in it by being blameless and dying in our place.

Im not sure if we are having a disagreement. I don't actually think following the law can save me. I have never kept a sabbath or refrain from certain foods.
Marriage is between a man and a woman. It is one of the commands or laws of the Law. The Law doesn't go away when a spouse dies. But that specific command (pertaining to marriage) does. That is, if you are married and you are unfaithful it is considered adultery. Always faithfulness to God and spouse. Always faithfulness to God. And always in both of these even if you are unmarried, because one day you might be. There is the possibility as well that a couple will have committed for life even in the circumstance that their spouse would die. Some say this should never be done because at that point you might want to rethink it.

Following the Law does protect a person and bring blessing from God. But the Law does not bring a person salvation, only Jesus does. Therefore, some believe it is unnecessary. Even in the New Testament writings however, we have warning against lawlessness.

You are correct that the Law says that the soul that sins shall die. Jesus never sinned, and He died, so that is how He could and did take our place.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Offtopic but, are you Jewish? I don't necessarily disagree with you so it's why I asked.

:eek:) :x)
Maybe Jewish-Christian. I have been a Christian most of my life. I can only be Jewish in so far as my beliefs and observance accept Jesus (Yeshua) as the Messiah. I observe more commands of Torah or the Law than I used to. But I accept that there is a new covenant.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Well you seem to be on the right track. If you have to do some of the things in the law that's fine. You seem to be understanding that following the law itself doesn't save you which I believe Paul was trying to express in a overly eloquent way to simpletons like myself
I have no problem with the apostle Paul.