Who was 1 Peter written to?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned

1 Peter 2:12 NASB - 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

Dan Emanuel

1 Peter 2:12 NASB - 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.
This is a personal letter from the genuineoriginal supreme pastor of the Church, that our Lord Jesus Christ Himself built; upon same. You get to read Peters own letter!

I'm sure that Peter wouldn't mind, if you imagine that he was writing this just to you. :) But I think that literally it can be found in the letter, to whom he was writing. And I think that even more importantly Peter was writing to his literal successor's the pope's.

Daniel

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
1 Peter 1:1-2 NASB - 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

1 Peter 2:11-12 NASB - 11 Beloved, I urge you as aliens and strangers to abstain from fleshly lusts which wage war against the soul. 12 Keep your behavior excellent among the Gentiles, so that in the thing in which they slander you as evildoers, they may because of your good deeds, as they observe them, glorify God in the day of visitation.

This is a personal letter from the genuineoriginal supreme pastor of the Church, that our Lord Jesus Christ Himself built; upon same. You get to read Peters own letter!

I'm sure that Peter wouldn't mind, if you imagine that he was writing this just to you. :) But I think that literally it can be found in the letter, to whom he was writing. And I think that even more importantly Peter was writing to his literal successor's the pope's.

Daniel
Not for the Pope, though he can no doubt read it as anyone else can. I personally am not a follower of Catholicism. I am a Christian.

Dan Emanuel

Not for the Pope, though he can no doubt read it as anyone else can.
Then obviously 1 Peter is for the pope's, since if it were not for the pope's, why would they have a copy of the letter at all?
I personally am not a follower of Catholicism.
What is "a follower of Catholicism?" Do you mean your not Catholic? Are you Catholic, but you are not a follower of Catholicism?
I am a Christian.
Does this mean that you are not a Catholic? Some people distinguish between being Catholic and being Christian as if they are opposite thing's.

Daniel

This Charming Manc

I can see absolutley no evidence in the text for that position.

Daniel

This Charming Manc

When dealing with the bible I want to find out the original writers intent and not the position of a third party opinion.

If Peters addresses it to

"To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:"

and third party says its written to future 'popes', a term that never in mentioned in scripture let alone in this letter.

I go with Peters intent not a third party commentary (protestant or catholic.)

How 'bout the text of history book's. Any evidence they're?

Daniel

Dan Emanuel

"To God’s elect, exiles scattered throughout the provinces of Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia and Bithynia, 2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to be obedient to Jesus Christ and sprinkled with his blood:"
Thats what I meant by:
But I think that literally it can be found in the letter, to whom he was writing.
Thanks for providing the direct quotation?

I'm not Catholic, I just believe in Peter.

Because Jesus said Peter was important, that Peter was going to be important.

Some ancient non-Catholic church's claim to be see's of Peter beside's Rome, did you know that? The Catholic Church is not the only church that claim's to literally be built upon Peter, isn't that interesting?

I find it interesting that not every church make's such a claim. Can't everybody read Matthew 16:18 KJV, do you think?

Daniel

This Charming Manc

Thats what I meant by:
Thanks for providing the direct quotation?

The quote says nothing about peter writing to his direct successors, he is writing to first century Christians , most probably of Jewish descent, who are 'in exile' so possibly original members of the Jerusalem church.

The words choosen, elect et all refer to all Christians not a specific group or line of indidivuals

I'm not Catholic, I just believe in Peter.

I believe in Jesus the same as Peter did, Peter never calls you to believe in him once.

A Christian denies himself and points to Christ, its a central theme of all new testament writers.

Because Jesus said Peter was important, that Peter was going to be important.

Thats one way of interpreting matthew 16, there are others.

Some ancient non-Catholic church's claim to be see's of Peter beside's Rome, did you know that? The Catholic Church is not the only church that claim's to literally be built upon Peter, isn't that interesting?

The position appeared in 250 AD, well before the formation of the catholic church so it doesn't surprise me its more widespread.

I find it interesting that not every church make's such a claim. Can't everybody read Matthew 16:18 KJV, do you think?

Each scripture is understood in the context of wider scriptural themes, if look at Peter letting James take the lead in the Jerusalem church through acts, the large influence Paul has on the church and the direct challenges he makes to Peter.

Then look at the letters which talk about the church being built on Christ and the foundations of the apostles and prophets, I cant see the whole of a scripture pointing to one man.

The concepts of pope, apostolic succession, and the primacy of Rome are all significantly outside the canon of scripture.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Then obviously 1 Peter is for the pope's, since if it were not for the pope's, why would they have a copy of the letter at all?
What is "a follower of Catholicism?" Do you mean your not Catholic? Are you Catholic, but you are not a follower of Catholicism?
Does this mean that you are not a Catholic? Some people distinguish between being Catholic and being Christian as if they are opposite thing's.

Daniel
The person in this world who is called "the Pope" is human like everyone else, so I see no problem with him reading 1 Peter. My point was that you wanted to bring the Pope in as someone 1 Peter was written to or for. I don't acknowledge anyone as Pope or in other words I don't acknowledge the office, position, title, etc... of Pope. Not only that, I am not Catholic.

Did you see in 1 Peter 1 who the letter is addressed to? Who is 1 Peter addressed to?

I am Christian. So I can either say I am a follower of Jesus Christ or a follower of Christianity (I have no problem saying either, so both are okay). I am not in any way a follower of the Pope or of Catholicism.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Peter was writing to Christians dispersed throughout the Roman Empire.
If so, would you say Christians are not Gentiles? We are to keep our behavior excellent among the Gentiles. Or, those Peter was writing to are to keep their behavior excellent among the Gentiles.

The letter is addressed. See 1 Peter 1:1-2 NASB. See also 1 Peter 2:11-12 NASB. Is this to Christians in Gentile lands? Why are those Peter was writing to addressed as aliens (or rather, those who reside as aliens)?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

Knowing the meaning of the terms, the first verse becomes self-explanatory. Peter is writing to believing Jews who are dispersed in other countries.

"Strangers:

παρεπίδημος
parepídēmos A stranger, sojourner; not simply one who is passing through, but a foreigner who has settled down, however briefly, next to or among the native people (Heb_11:13; 1Pe_1:1; 1Pe_2:11; Sept.: Gen_23:4; Psa_39:12).

Scattered:

διασπορά
diasporá to scatter abroad. A scattering or dispersion, spoken of the state of dispersion in which many of the Jews lived after the captivity, in Chaldea, Persia, and chiefly in Egypt, Syria and Asia Minor (Sept.: Jer_34:17). In the NT, it refers to the dispersion of the Jews (Jas_1:1; 1Pe_1:1). In Joh_7:35 "the dispersed among the Gentiles" means the Jews dwelling either among the Gentiles generally, or among nations that used the Greek language, e.g., in Egypt and Asia Minor, the Hellenists (Sept.: Psa_147:2)."- Spiros Zodhiates- Complete Word Study Dictionary

Peter was writing to Christians dispersed throughout the Roman Empire.

Right, scattered Christians about the Roman empire. It's believed to have been written after Nero came to power, as it has a practical instructions on Christian conduct under persecution. I recall once reading that scripture was copied quite rapidly and distributed in ancient times, contrary to what people think.

1 Peter 1

6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:
7 That the trial of your faith, being much more precious than of gold that perisheth, though it be tried with fire, might be found unto praise and honour and glory at the appearing of Jesus Christ...
14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

4:19 Wherefore let them that suffer according to the will of God commit the keeping of their souls to him in well doing, as unto a faithful Creator.

Much in chapters 3 and 4 involving conduct, in various settings, including persecutions, chapter 5 with admonitions to be self-controlled and stand fast in the faith. It's generally written to a persecuted church at large.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
1Pe 1:1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

Knowing the meaning of the terms, the first verse becomes self-explanatory. Peter is writing to believing Jews who are dispersed in other countries.

"Strangers:

παρεπίδημος
parepídēmos A stranger, sojourner; not simply one who is passing through, but a foreigner who has settled down, however briefly, next to or among the native people (Heb_11:13; 1Pe_1:1; 1Pe_2:11; Sept.: Gen_23:4; Psa_39:12).

Scattered:

διασπορά
diasporá to scatter abroad. A scattering or dispersion, spoken of the state of dispersion in which many of the Jews lived after the captivity, in Chaldea, Persia, and chiefly in Egypt, Syria and Asia Minor (Sept.: Jer_34:17). In the NT, it refers to the dispersion of the Jews (Jas_1:1; 1Pe_1:1). In Joh_7:35 "the dispersed among the Gentiles" means the Jews dwelling either among the Gentiles generally, or among nations that used the Greek language, e.g., in Egypt and Asia Minor, the Hellenists (Sept.: Psa_147:2)."- Spiros Zodhiates- Complete Word Study Dictionary
Yeppers.

oatmeal

I Peter 1:1-3 tells us who

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Those who were chosen by God Ephesians 1:4 according to the foreknowledge of God

Those who are born again of God's spirit.

Those who have done Romans 10:9-10

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I Peter 1:1-3 tells us who

Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia,

2 Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,

Those who were chosen by God Ephesians 1:4 according to the foreknowledge of God

Those who are born again of God's spirit.

Those who have done Romans 10:9-10
Was it that these were Gentiles and needed to have their behavior excellent among the Gentiles? Or were these not Gentiles who but needed to have their behavior excellent among the Gentiles?

Are those who are born again Gentiles? Are those who are born again not Gentiles? Who is being referred to here?

1 Peter 1:3, 23 NASB - 3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, ... 23 for you have been born again not of seed which is perishable but imperishable, that is, through the living and enduring word of God.

1 Peter 1:1-2 NASB - 1 Peter, an apostle of Jesus Christ, To those who reside as aliens, scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia, who are chosen 2 according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, by the sanctifying work of the Spirit, to obey Jesus Christ and be sprinkled with His blood: May grace and peace be yours in the fullest measure.

If so, would you say Christians are not Gentiles? We are to keep our behavior excellent among the Gentiles. Or, those Peter was writing to are to keep their behavior excellent among the Gentiles.

The letter is addressed. See 1 Peter 1:1-2 NASB. See also 1 Peter 2:11-12 NASB. Is this to Christians in Gentile lands? Why are those Peter was writing to addressed as aliens (or rather, those who reside as aliens)?

Because the Christian's citizenship is in heaven. Phil 3:20.

Were these people living in a foreign land?

All Christians, be they of Jewish or Gentile background are living in a "foreign land" if their true citizenship is in heaven.

When the term is used in Hebrews 11:13, it says the people of faith were aliens and strangers on earth. They weren't strangers merely because they had moved from one place on earth to another. They were strangers on earth, simply because they were on earth, and not in heaven.

The writer makes this plain in vs. 16.

"Instead, they were longing for a better country - a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God, for he has prepared a city for them."