recapitulation

HisServant

Recapitulation is a theory developed to improve our understanding of the Apocalypse. Victorinus of Pettau in the third century was the first to show the same events were being repeated in different visions. Therefore the sequence of chapters cannot be considered necessarily in chronological order. Most commentaries on the Apocalypse have adopted this theory. It has also been described as parallelism

see what augustine had to say about this

back to
the apocalypse

A theory is just that... something that someone pulled out of their rear and is of little value.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
without recapitulation
-it is not possible to make sense of the apocalypse
-unless
-you force everything into the future
-which doesn't make sense

HisServant

First of all Victorinus didn't seem to have a grasp of what 1st century Jewish culture and heritage was all about. He used Greek and Latin, but very little Hebrew and was raised in the Greek culture and world view of the 3rd and 4th century and ended up in the Slovenia area. Given his culture and his lack of a 1st century Jewish world view, imposing the non-scriptural principle of recapitulation was probably the only way he could make sense of things.

My current thinking of Revelation (in which I have some scholarly agreement) is that it was written by John at three different parts of his life. The Greek text seems to indicate that he became more and more familiar with the language as he got older.

I currently believe that Revelation is a retrospective using symbolism to denote what had already transpired.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My current thinking of Revelation (in which I have some scholarly agreement) is that it was written by John at three different parts of his life. The Greek text seems to indicate that he became more and more familiar with the language as he got older.
so why didn't he use the word antichrist?

HisServant

Tough question, because I believe that there is not a single Antichrist. All who oppose the gospel, as given, are Antichrist.

So given that Antichrist is a description instead of a title, I wouldn't expect him to use it consistently.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Recapitulation is a theory developed to improve our understanding of the Apocalypse. Victorinus of Pettau in the third century was the first to show the same events were being repeated in different visions. Therefore the sequence of chapters cannot be considered necessarily in chronological order. Most commentaries on the Apocalypse have adopted this theory. It has also been described as parallelism

see what augustine had to say about this

back to
the apocalypse

just repeating