Matthew 12:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Then came the Day of Unleavened Bread when the Passover must be killed. (Luke 22:7)​

The day of the Unleavened Bread festival when the Passover is killed is the Preparation Day.

The Passover is killed the afternoon of the 14th, dressed out, taken home, roasted and eaten that night after sundown.

Jesus and his disciples did not keep the Passover they kept this Passover. Scripture does not say what they ate but after supper Jesus instituted this Passover, the one for the church.

Paul said, "For indeed Christ, our Passover, was sacrificed for us. Therefore let us keep the feast, not with old leaven nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth."

The church is prohibited from keeping Israel's Passover so Jesus instituted a new covenant Passover for the church. Jesus had to keep his Passover a night early because he was to be the Passover to be sacrificed the next day when the Mosaic Passovers were sacrificed.

Totally absurd!

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Totally absurd!

Yep, that's all you say with no explanation. I provide you scriptures, but you just provide your opinion based on your misunderstanding of scripture.

Do you even keep the Passover?

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yep, that's all you say with no explanation. I provide you scriptures, but you just provide your opinion based on your misunderstanding of scripture.

Do you even keep the Passover?

The scripture that I provided from Luke is plain.

Jesus and His disciples kept Israel's Passover at GOD's appointed time for all Israel, the beginning of the 15th Nisan.

Jesus was put on the cross the next morning of the 15th.

Jesus is my Passover.

I've kept many Passover Seders and led them, as well, though it is not something of necessity.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
Jesus was put on the cross the next morning of the 15th.

Jesus was crucified on the Day of Preparation, not on a holy day.

Therefore, because it was the Preparation Day, that the bodies should not remain on the cross on the Sabbath (for that Sabbath was a high day). (John 19:31.

That day was the Preparation and the Sabbath drew on. (Luke 23:54 KJV)

Now when evening had come, because it was the Preparation Day, that is, the day before the Sabbath. (Mark 15:42)

On the next day, which followed the Day of Preparation, the chief priests and Pharisees gathered together to Pilate, saying, "Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’" (Matthew 27:62-63)​

Four of the four gospels say that Jesus died on the Preparation Day, not on a Sabbath. Why do you not believe the gospel accounts?

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The 15th is a holy convocation and no 'customary' work was to be done, but those things pertaining to the feast of unleavened bread and the Chagigah were not customary work.
The rules for the seventh day Sabbath were much stricter. That's all that I mean by it.

Upon the six holy days in the Jewish calendar — the first and seventh days of Passover, the first and eighth days of Sukkot (Tabernacles), the day of Shebu'ot (Weeks), and the day of Rosh ha-Shanah (New-Year) — the Bible prohibits every kind of labor (Lev. xxiii. 7, 8, 21, 25, 35, 36). The punishment prescribed for the transgressor of this law is stripes (see Crime). All kinds of work forbidden on the Sabbath are forbidden also on the holy days, except such work as is necessary for the preparation of food for the day of the festival (Ex. xii. 16; Beẓah 36a). (Jewish Encyclopedia / Holy Days)​

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Upon the six holy days in the Jewish calendar — the first and seventh days of Passover, the first and eighth days of Sukkot (Tabernacles), the day of Shebu'ot (Weeks), and the day of Rosh ha-Shanah (New-Year) — the Bible prohibits every kind of labor (Lev. xxiii. 7, 8, 21, 25, 35, 36). The punishment prescribed for the transgressor of this law is stripes (see Crime). All kinds of work forbidden on the Sabbath are forbidden also on the holy days, except such work as is necessary for the preparation of food for the day of the festival (Ex. xii. 16; Beẓah 36a). (Jewish Encyclopedia / Holy Days)​

Yep....that's basically what I said.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Preparation Day referred to in John 19:31 is the Preparation Day for the Passover.

Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews, “Behold your King!” (John 19:14).

The Passover observance can fall on any day of the week just like July 4 can fall on any day of the week, or December 25 can fall on any day of the week. So the "Preparation day of the Passover" has nothing to do with Friday, the sixth day of the week.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Preparation Day referred to in John 19:31 is the Preparation Day for the Passover.

That's one of the main places where John is misunderstood.
This is the 'preparation/paraskeue' of the seventh day Sabbath during the 'Passover/Feast of unleavened bread' week.
'Paraskeue' is always the preparation for the seventh day Sabbath, wherever it is used in scripture.
'Hetoimazo' is the word used for the 'preparation' of the Passover meal and is always used in this way.

Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover, and about the sixth hour. And he said to the Jews, “Behold your King!” (John 19:14).

The Passover observance can fall on any day of the week just like July 4 can fall on any day of the week, or December 25 can fall on any day of the week. So the "Preparation day of the Passover" has nothing to do with Friday, the sixth day of the week.

The 'paraskeue' is always referring to the sixth day of the week.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The 'preparation' for the Passover is always 'hetoimazo'.

The Greek word hetoimasia is used one time in the NT in Ephesians.

"and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace..." (Ephesians 6:15)

The word "hetoimasia" is never used in the NT with regard to the Passover.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
'Paraskeue' is always the preparation for the seventh day Sabbath, wherever it is used in scripture.

The 'paraskeue' is always referring to the sixth day of the week.

The Greek paraskeuē is used six times in the NT and never with regard to the sixth day of the week. Never in the NT.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
No. Jesus was crucified on the 'paraskeue' of the Passover, not for.

Now it was the Preparation Day of the Passover... (John 19:14)​

John is referring to the seven day Feast of Passover during which unleavened bread must be eaten.

John is not referring to the Passover meal to be eaten that night.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Greek word hetoimasia is used one time in the NT in Ephesians.

"and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace..." (Ephesians 6:15)

The word "hetoimasia" is never used in the NT with regard to the Passover.

I said 'hetoimazo'.

Mat 26:17 Now the first day of the feast of unleavened bread the disciples came to Jesus, saying unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare[2090-hetoimazo] for thee to eat the passover[3957-pascha-pesach]?
Mat 26:18 And he said, Go into the city to such a man, and say unto him, The Master saith, My time is at hand; I will keep the passover at thy house with my disciples.
Mat 26:19 And the disciples did as Jesus had appointed them; and they made ready[2090-hetoimazo] the passover[3957-pascha-pesach]. [14th]
Mat 26:20 Now when the even was come, he sat down with the twelve.
Mat 26:21 And as they did eat[15th], he said, Verily I say unto you, that one of you shall betray me.

Mar 14:12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover[3957-pascha-pesach]. [14th], his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare[2090-hetoimazo] that thou mayest eat the passover[3957-pascha-pesach]?
Mar 14:13 And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
Mar 14:14 And wheresoever he shall go in, say ye to the goodman of the house, The Master saith, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover with my disciples?
Mar 14:15 And he will shew you a large upper room furnished and prepared: there make ready[2090-hetoimazo] for us.
Mar 14:16 And his disciples went forth, and came into the city, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready[2090-hetoimazo] the passover[3957-pascha-pesach].

Luk 22:7 Then came the day of unleavened bread, when the passover must be killed.[14th]
Luk 22:8 And he sent Peter and John, saying, Go and prepare us[2090-hetoimazo] the passover[3957-pascha-pesach], that we may eat.
Luk 22:9 And they said unto him, Where wilt thou that we prepare[2090-hetoimazo]?
Luk 22:10 And he said unto them, Behold, when ye are entered into the city, there shall a man meet you, bearing a pitcher of water; follow him into the house where he entereth in.
Luk 22:11 And ye shall say unto the goodman of the house, The Master saith unto thee, Where is the guestchamber, where I shall eat the passover[3957-pascha-pesach] with my disciples?
Luk 22:12 And he shall shew you a large upper room furnished: there make ready.
Luk 22:13 And they went, and found as he had said unto them: and they made ready[2090-hetoimazo] the passover[3957-pascha-pesach].
Luk 22:14 And when the hour was come, he sat down[15th], and the twelve apostles with him.
Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover[3957-pascha-pesach] with you before I suffer:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The Greek paraskeuē is used six times in the NT and never with regard to the sixth day of the week. Never in the NT.

The word 'paraskeue' is used every time with reference to the sixth day in the NT.

In Greece today, it is the word for the sixth day and has been since the first century, having come from the early Jewish Church usage.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
I said 'hetoimazo'.

Yes, I should have said Preparation Day, I wasn't referring to the meal. My point being that Jesus is the Passover. He did not institute a seder service, he instituted a different service.

jamie

LIFETIME MEMBER
The word 'paraskeue' is used every time with reference to the sixth day in the NT.

How many times is paraskeue used in the NT and which NT scripture relates it to the sixth day of the week. Let's take a look at that verse.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, I should have said Preparation Day, I wasn't referring to the meal. My point being that Jesus is the Passover. He did not institute a seder service, he instituted a different service.

It was the Passover Seder.

Luk 22:15 And he said unto them, With desire I have desired to eat this passover[3957-pascha-pesach] with you before I suffer:

Jesus ate the Passover with His disciples, it says plainly in Matthew, Luke and Mark.

It's the same 'supper' recorded here:

Joh 13:4 He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.

.......though John doesn't emphasize it as being the Passover meal as the other three gospel writers do.

It is the Passover Seder meal and Jesus fills it up with more meaning, beyond that of the Exodus, applying it to Himself and His(the lamb of GOD) blood that would be shed.

Jesus ate the Passover with His disciples at GOD's appointed time for all Israel.

I'm am amazed that anyone could miss it. It's right there in the text.

Status
Not open for further replies.