X
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause. Appropriately identifying the wicked is not only allowed but encouraged. Again, TOL is a right-wing Christian forum and therefore our bias is not hidden.

"All of the above commandments are subjective in nature and will be determined on a case by case basis by the TOL staff."

Infractions are handed out if the name calling is without cause.

Comment

Originally posted by Inzl Kett View Post
      4. Thou SHALL NOT call other TOL members names without cause.
      Cool, when did Walt Brown join TOL?
      “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

If I call my Aunt Fanny a big poopy head, will I get banned?

Comment

Originally posted by resurrected View Post
          Who really knows anymore...
          “To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

― Theodore Roosevelt

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Comment

Originally posted by WizardofOz View Post
            It's all in good fun, Inzl. It's clear that you'll do what you want while disregarding any semblance of consistency. I'm sure we'll all adapt and get a long just fine.

I cannot help if it entertains, however
            Christ wasn't exactly a fan of hypocrisy, but on this scale it is quite funny.

Comment

Originally posted by WizardofOz View Post
              Who really knows anymore...
              Someday I'll start a thread seeking opinions on the apparent belief by the mods here that Town Heretic is a god

maybe I'll include a poll

Comment

Hey, it's the way it is on TOL. If you want a level playing field there's always debate club. I'm not offended; it's part of the atmosphere here.

Comment

From the family Thanksgiving, yes!

Comment

Originally posted by The Barbarian View Post
                    Hey, it's the way it is on TOL. If you want a level playing field there's always debate club. I'm not offended; it's part of the atmosphere here.
                    And yet the slope has certainly increased. Knight's slope provided for free speech to a very large degree, and therefore invited and welcomed those of differing beliefs, perhaps treating them harshly at times but allowing them to fight back, not tying their hands behind their backs as they are struck. Not so anymore.

If people don't like being hit without being allowed to strike back, being abused without being allowed to defend themselves or retaliate, or dealing with hypocritical moderation, they will leave. TOL is inevitably becoming less lively. The irony--and most unfortunate problem--is that it is "Christians" who are taking back with their left hand what they have given with their right. If you are a non-Christian who has survived on TOL, then chances are you already know how to turn the other cheek more than the Christians.

I am all in favor of a more civil environment, but strongly against a half-civil hypocritical environment. So the working model for TOL is changing: debate and lively discussion will slowly begin to dry up as this becomes another strongly-biased forum of like-minded people reinforcing what they already believe; a technologically advanced bridge club, not a theological or political forum.

Comment

It's happened before. And eventually, Knight steps in and re-establishes some equilibrium. This too shall pass.

Comment

Originally posted by zippy2006 View Post
                        And yet the slope has certainly increased. Knight's slope provided for free speech to a very large degree, and therefore invited and welcomed those of differing beliefs, perhaps treating them harshly at times but allowing them to fight back, not tying their hands behind their backs as they are struck. Not so anymore.

If people don't like being hit without being allowed to strike back, being abused without being allowed to defend themselves or retaliate, or dealing with hypocritical moderation, they will leave. TOL is inevitably becoming less lively. The irony--and most unfortunate problem--is that it is "Christians" who are taking back with their left hand what they have given with their right. If you are a non-Christian who has survived on TOL, then chances are you already know how to turn the other cheek more than the Christians.

I am all in favor of a more civil environment, but strongly against a half-civil hypocritical environment. So the working model for TOL is changing: debate and lively discussion will slowly begin to dry up as this becomes another strongly-biased forum of like-minded people reinforcing what they already believe; a technologically advanced bridge club, not a theological or political forum.
                        I think Inzl Kett is doing a great job and you should quit your whining.

Comment

Originally posted by Delmar View Post

I think Inzl Kett is doing a great job and you should quit you whining.
                          I suppose it goes without saying that I disagree. The rest will have to read what I wrote and what you wrote and consider which one makes the most sense.

Comment

Well said. Thank you.

Tried and waited then got tired, that's about it

Comment

I suppose it goes without saying that I disagree. The rest will have to read what I wrote and what you wrote and consider which one makes the most sense.
                              I'm not holding my breath waiting for you to quit whining, mind you.

Comment

Someday I'll start a thread seeking opinions on the apparent belief by the mods here that Town Heretic is a god

maybe I'll include a poll
                                Perhaps a warning for blasphemy is in order?

Comment

Working...
                                X