Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Aimiel

Yes, evidentally you do not, and prefer fairy tales to actual Bible study. And why on earth would you quote the verse that says "the lake of fire is the second death" to try to prove to me that the lake of fire is NOT the second death? Was that just a mistake? Did you attempt to quote some other verse and the verse that supports my position popped out by accident? Clumsy.
I don't think so. Death annihilated in the Lake of Fire? Duh! It will be tormented along with all the other wicked.

Aimiel

:idunno: Hell is a place. Death is a thing. Angels are beings.
Yes, but Hell and Death are also spirits, which will be cast into the Lake of Fire, along with all other principalities, powers and rulers of the darkness of this world.

Revelation 6:8
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was "Death," and "Hell" followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the beasts of the earth.

Hell was riding right behind Death in his vision.

Jamieson-Fausset-Brown Bible Commentary said:
Death and Hades, as personified representatives of the enemies of Christ' and His Church, are said to be cast into the lake of fire to express the truth that Christ and His people shall never more die, or be in the state of disembodied spirits.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Because the Bible says they are to be resurrected for judgment and THEN sent to the second death. And why bother asking God why? If wea re to do that, Why don't you ask God why he bothers sending the lost to hell to be tormented, then waste time resurrecting them, just to send them back to hell for more eternal torment?

The spirit-soul lives on after death. Bodily resurrection of believers and unbelievers is a future event for both (but separated by 1000 years). You will have to argue against the resurrection of believers if you argue against the resurr. of unbelievers.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Hell isnt eternal torment, hell isnt eternal, and will be cast itself into the lake of fire, the word hell comes from is sheol and means the grave.

Hell means grave in some contexts (JWs say it always means common grave of man). It also refers to the abode of the lost awaiting the final lake of fire. It has a range of meaning depending on context.

You are generally right on this topic and Tim is wrong and misled on an important doctrine. Stand firm. Our view will stand up to scrutiny as popular as his view is to modern ears that are itching and like to be tickled.

Anti-hell is popular because people elevate the love of God above His holiness. Mercy and justice are equally true. The spirit in the image of God lives forever, like it or not. This necessitates two destinies. God is not unjust, but hell flows from His love.

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Matthew 25:46 Jesus states: "And these will depart into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. The same Greek term, aionion (eternal), is used to describe both punishment and life.

There is NO reason to believe one is not eternal while the other one is, when the same word is used for BOTH.

Revelation 14:11 reads in part: "And the smoke from their torture will go up forever and ever, and those who worship the beast and his image will have no rest day or night."

The same adjective modifies the noun. He is rationalizing away and twisting the plain grammar. If punishment is not eternal, then neither is life eternal.

He complains if we do not have a verse that explicitly uses the phrase ECT. Yet, he will say it does not mean eternal punishment (just like 10 years punishment), but that it means the effects of the annihilation are forever, but the person is not. When a plain passage in Revelation says something, he plays the symbol card, yet cannot explain what it means other than what it says.

When Lk. 16 shows conscious suffering after death, he makes it figurative (making Jesus a false teacher) or assumes the effects are for a time, then cease (sheer inference, eisegesis).

godrulz

Hall of Fame
I've read that before. He gets it wrong from hte first sentence. "Death is separation". No, the Bible never once says that death is separation.

We gave you e.g. and principles that speak of death in relation to living persons (dead in sin; physically dead, yet conscious in hell; alive in the garden yet declared dead in one sense by God=separation, not cessation).

Don't confuse me with the facts, my mind is made up motto?

godrulz

Hall of Fame
You seriously need to stop taking the figurative language of Revelation literally. Dead people are not conscious. The lake of fire is the second death.

Much of Revelation is normatively literal. Anything that contradicts you causes you to default to figurative even when the context does not demand it. If it is figurative, what does it mean apart from what it says? If you wanted to say the opposite or what we are saying literally/face value, how else could you do it apart from the language of Scripture (you cannot, but I could change things to truly be figurative and not possible to take literally).

Change your view, not the Bible.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Really Tambora?

You are going here?
Absolutely.

The passage you quoted from Mark refers to a passage in Isaiah. I'm very surprised that you didn't know this.
I'm surprised that you would think I was unaware of the Isaiah passage.
In fact, I was just itching that someone would bring it up!

Now that it is brought up, let's take a closer look.
mag_glass.gif

Isaiah 66 KJV
(23) And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
(24) And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Notice the same concept being presented in the descriptive language of Isaiah, ie. the continual burning of the wicked.

For verse 23 plainly says that the ones that come to worship will see them burning.
And they come from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another.

Are you starting to see it yet?

Take a closer look.

Every week (Sabbath to Sabbath) and every month (new moon to new moon) those wicked will be seen burning, with their worms, and will be abhorred.
That's continual.
That's the graphic image Isaiah is painting for the folks to conjure up in their mind.

Also take particular notice:
Their worm shall not die.
That's continual.
The fire will not be quenched.
That's continual.
That's the graphic image Isaiah is painting for the folks to conjure up in their mind.

And every week and every month that the worshipers come, the burning wicked, with their worms, will still be there for them to abhorred.
That's continual.

It is the same graphic image Jesus painted for the folks to conjure up in their mind.

It's not an image of annihilation, but of continuance.

If you think for one second that Isaiah or Jesus are describing something that can happen with natural bodies, or natural worms, in a natural world as we live in now, you are aren't looking close enough at what Isaiah or Jesus are saying.

In the natural world we live in now, a natural body would burn up, a worm would die, there would remain no more fire, and there wouldn't be any of the wicked left there for the worshipers to see and abhor week after week and month after month.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Absolutely.

I'm surprised that you would think I was unaware of the Isaiah passage.
In fact, I was just itching that someone would bring it up!

Now that it is brought up, let's take a closer look.
mag_glass.gif

Isaiah 66 KJV
(23) And it shall come to pass, that from one new moon to another, and from one sabbath to another, shall all flesh come to worship before me, saith the LORD.
(24) And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

Notice the same concept being presented in the descriptive language of Isaiah, ie. the continual burning of the wicked.

For verse 23 plainly says that the ones that come to worship will see them burning.
And they come from one new moon to another, and from one Sabbath to another.

Are you starting to see it yet?

Take a closer look.

Every week (Sabbath to Sabbath) and every month (new moon to new moon) those wicked will be seen burning, with their worms, and will be abhorred.
That's continual.

Also take particular notice:
Their worm shall not die.
That's continual.
The fire will not be quenched.
That's continual.

And every week and every month that the worshipers come, the burning wicked, with their worms, will still be there for them to abhorred.
That's continual.

It is the same graphic image Jesus painted for the folks to conjure up in their mind.

It's not an image of annihilation, but of continuance.

If you think for one second that Isaiah or Jesus are describing something that can happen with natural bodies, or natural worms, in a natural world as we live in now, you are aren't looking close enough at what Isaiah or Jesus are saying.

In the natural world we live in now, a natural body would burn up, a worm would die, there would remain no more fire, and there wouldn't be any of the wicked left there for the worshipers to see and abhor week after week and month after month.

That is completely wrong.

It is the worm and fire that dies not.

Anything thrown in there is completely consumed.

To look on the carcases, is not to visualy look on the carcases.

LA

john w

Hall of Fame
Much of Revelation is normatively literal. Anything that contradicts you causes you to default to figurative even when the context does not demand it. If it is figurative, what does it mean apart from what it says? If you wanted to say the opposite or what we are saying literally/face value, how else could you do it apart from the language of Scripture (you cannot, but I could change things to truly be figurative and not possible to take literally).

Change your view, not the Bible.

"Change your view, not the Bible."-Ernie Douglas,Jr.

Wow-the 6787 th time for that head scratcher!

Good one, coming from a bible corrector, who never met a bible he did not correct/change, whose "doctrine" determines what the book should say, and determines what the bible is, and, if it does not agree with his "doctrine," he changes/corrects it.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Most people are mixed up about what happens to the beast worshippers during Gods wrath, during the thousand years, and afterward.

LA

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That is completely wrong.
No, it's not.

It is the worm and fire that dies not.
Even if you believe it is only the worm and the fire that continue (which it isn't), it still cannot happen in the natural world we now live in.
Isaiah was not describing something that would happen in the natural world we live in now.

Anything thrown in there is completely consumed.

To look on the carcases, is not to visualy look on the carcases.
It plainly says what will be looked upon by the worshipers that come from week to week and month to month.
Isaiah 66 KJV
And .... it is their worm and their fire that will not die or be quenched.
If they were not still there to be looked upon, then neither would their worm or their fire still be there.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
No, it's not.

Even if you believe it is only the worm and the fire that continue (which it isn't), it still cannot happen in the natural world we now live in.
Isaiah was not describing something that would happen in the natural world we live in now.

It plainly says what will be looked upon by the worshipers that come from week to week and month to month.
Isaiah 66 KJV
And .... it is their worm and their fire that will not die or be quenched.
If they were not still there to be looked upon, then neither would their worm or their fire still be there.

Here we have a fulfilment of looking upon carcases-

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;

Believers read about them in the Bible every sabbath now, but more so after Christ returns.

None will be looking upon any carcases or any in hellfire after the last judgment event. They will not need the warnings of it.

Jesus used Gehenna to describe the complete annilation of anything thrown into it at the last judgment.

Perish means perish not eternal preservation in punishment.

Punishment before annialation is consistently taught throughout the Bible for the wicked.

LA

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Do not forget to consider what happens to those babies God had Israel kill when they entered into Canaan or when the flood killed all but eight souls in the flood, or in the destruction of Jerusalem by the Romans.

We will not see them in Heaven, and they will not suffer eternally either.

LA

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Matthew 25:46 Jesus states: "And these will depart into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life. The same Greek term, aionion (eternal), is used to describe both punishment and life.

There is NO reason to believe one is not eternal while the other one is, when the same word is used for BOTH.

Revelation 14:11 reads in part: "And the smoke from their torture will go up forever and ever, and those who worship the beast and his image will have no rest day or night."

Only one who is conscious, could have no rest day or night. The destroyed or completely consumed, could not be said to have no rest.

Please explain this problem.